New York-New York City

Looking for JUST a Reception Venue!

My fiance is from the UK and I live in New York. We are going to have our actual wedding across the pond in gorgeous England, but want to have a fun and classy (but not stuffy) party/reception in NYC for all those who can't make it to the UK wedding!

I was hoping that some of you in the community might have ideas as to where we can hold a reception in the city? We would ideally like to have nibbles for everyone (not a sit down dinner), dancing, and an open bar, BUT we have a limited budget of about $4k.

Do any of you lovely people have any suggestions from your own experiences? Even just a good party venue that provides those things would be fantastic, as we plan to have a far less formal party here in NYC than the wedding itself will be in England.

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Looking for JUST a Reception Venue!

• I suggest searching opentable.com for restaurants in NYC with private party rooms.  How many guests are you planning to have?
  • That's a good idea, thanks! We're thinking between 75-100 guests. The only issue (potentially) that I worry about with a restaurant is the lack of dj/music, but maybe that just depoends on the restaurant!
  • Some restaurants that have spaces have house DJs or preferred vendors that they work with. You can usually get them for a good deal. Choosing to hold it during the day or on a friday or sunday may also make it more affordable
  • I would try loftsforrent you can get a small loft for a night and have the event catered by an inexpensive but good restaurant and plug in an ipod. I came across a lot of smaller lofts for a very decent price in my venue search 
  • You can do an earlier affair, followed by the regular house DJ at Top of the Strand.  Great finger food and drinks.  Excellent DJ.  You can do an 8PM to 10PM and then they will open to public and dance the night away.  Great views!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards