Chit Chat

O.o If anyone's bored this evening ...

http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/need-opinions-and-advice-please/10707909cf0303db.html

I'm not even sure what on earth the OP is trying to do with regards to the save-the-dates ...
Anniversary
now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

Re: O.o If anyone's bored this evening ...

• APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Looks like she's putting her STDs INSIDE her invitations for some reason?  I don't think she gets what they're for.  Then she's asking if it would be totally okay (because her FI wants to) to send the extra STD cards out to people she's not inviting to the wedding because there's no room for them on the guest list (but don't worry because they totally won't be able to come because her super special wedding is all the way in Virginia!)  So it's totally too much of a hassle for the out of state folks.
  • This is gonna make my head hurt, isn't it?
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Anniversary
  • It's between that thread or a walk, @phira...
    Anniversary

• Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Take the walk HisGirl, I regret the thread...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I only got through the first page and I already have a headache.
  • Taking Rebl90's advice!
    Anniversary

• Why...why would your invitation need a save the date card? Don't invitations have the date on them? How many places do you need to list a date? 

I'm over looking the "give us money but don't come" question because I still can't grasp the save  the date as part of the invitation thing.
  • I think she doesn't really understand what STD means.  I think she's using STD to refer to the part of the invite with the time/place/date info.  At least, that's what I hope.

I find it hilarious that they want to send "impersonal notes" (her words) to those who can't come asking if they can contribute to their honey fund.  Ha!

TK has already been mentioned.

And the best, this quote from OP justifying why she is doing these weird invites and asking for money: "We as humans are allowed to be creative and expressive."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Oh lord.  Someone on WW has the sn JC and is giving terrible advice.  I swear, ladies, it's not me!  http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/what-do-you-think-ask-guests-to-come-late-to-the-reception/d6bd72ca7dbe2ce7.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    "apparently this is very rude to do and asking guests for money if they won't be at the wedding is a big no. 
    But I think it depends on the family."

Hahahahaha. So, in summary- if your FI comes from a rude family who will have zero idea of what proper etiquette- send away! You may make money, and all those rude people won't even know they should be offended. 
  • "If you're going to hang out in WW you have to have a thick skin :)"

Hahahaha, no. I mean I guess if you're a small child used to be told everything you do is marvelous and brilliant yeah but...just being told something that is a bad idea is a bad idea...I don't think one needs thick skin for that.
  • "NOT everything is by the book these days people. We as humans are allowed to be creative and expressive.

I honestly need help, not someone criticizing my DIY all in one project. I truly thought I would receive help here. I was OBVIOUSLY wrong. I don't think I belong here. "

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• "Thank you I will keep that in mind, guess I wasn't prepared for the barrage of opinions. NOT to mention how they go WAY off topic."

I asked for opinions on the internet and was surprised to RECEIVE OPINIONS! And that they didn't stay on the exact point I wanted them to stay on. Oh dear, I feel like in real life she has a lot of struggles.
  • I love how the first response is "You're gonna get some interesting answers."  Right off the bat, the posters are already pissing themselves over the thought of someone possibly disagreeing with the OP or giving any sort of answer other than barfing up rainbows and butterflies.

I would hate to be like that.   Just imagine how much life would SUCK if any time someone disagreed with anything you said, you got as upset as the special snowflakes do.  They're so easily set off I imagine they don't get through a single day without being made miserable by something someone says.   I'm so happy I can maintain a positive attitude and remain happy without needing constant reassurance, and that my happiness isn't so fragile it crumbles at a single comment.  

I think this Gif is perfect for summing up my reaction to WW:
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    ckel24 said:
    That topic pissed me off because a bunch of posters were like, "Yeah, it's TOTALLY like that in Boston/the North East." Bullshit. I've lived in New England my entire life, and I have never been to a wedding where I'm expected to give a gift that's expensive enough to cover my plate (as if I have to know what the cost per plate even is).
    Anniversary
  • I just. . . I can't. 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• phira said:
    That topic pissed me off because a bunch of posters were like, "Yeah, it's TOTALLY like that in Boston/the North East." Bullshit. I've lived in New England my entire life, and I have never been to a wedding where I'm expected to give a gift that's expensive enough to cover my plate (as if I have to know what the cost per plate even is).

I've lived in the NE (specifically upstate NY) and never have faced that expectation either. And there were a fair amount of posters defending the rule too! The sense of entitlement (even thinly disguised) killed me in that thread.

• afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I finally had time to go look and the post was taken down :(
  • SBminiSBmini member
    I'm so upset that she deleted the post before showing off her super-special Michael's invitations with room for the save the date.

• It's gone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    Damn, I wish someone screen shotted the first post. Cliffs for those who missed it:

OP was planning on sending invitations out with STDs and registry information attached to them. Because her super-special Michael's DIY invitations included a place for a STD and that is how they were supposed to be sent out- so no, thank you, she did not want to hear ANYTHING about how this isn't how it is supposed to work.

Well, STDs were the only thing that her FI cared about, and they ordered way more than they needed for their special destination wedding. So FMIL suggested that instead of throwing the STDs away, that they send them to people who "wouldn't go anyways" with all their registry information and an "informal message" (her words, not mine) so that they would send gifts and feel like they were included. Oh, and she needs to send out the invitations NOW for her wedding in August so she doesn't have any time for people to talk about anything but this one thing.

So she was asking for advice as to if she should send STDs and registry information to people not actually invited to the wedding. And totally flipped her lid when people told her that she shouldn't include an STD with her invitation because that wasn't what the thread was about.
  • So Michael's online has 619 different wedding invitations. None of them look like what she was talking about.

So...bitch be crazy.
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    It was hidden by the time I got over there, but then I started reading other posts; it is making me stabby.
  • I am curious about this "pay for your plate" discussion.

The girl was totally rude for bringing it up about a bottle of wine not being good enough.

At the same time, I was taught to give a gift that covers the estimated cost per plate. We used to live on Long Island, so big surprise there based on other comments.

So now that we live in Texas, my mom is dying when her neighbors talk about giving "a 20 dollar bottle of wine" as a wedding gift lol. Culture shock. It sucks to have these previous expectations though.

image   image   image

• SBminiSBmini member
    I am curious about this "pay for your plate" discussion. The girl was totally rude for bringing it up about a bottle of wine not being good enough. At the same time, I was taught to give a gift that covers the estimated cost per plate. We used to live on Long Island, so big surprise there based on other comments. So now that we live in Texas, my mom is dying when her neighbors talk about giving "a 20 dollar bottle of wine" as a wedding gift lol. Culture shock. It sucks to have these previous expectations though.
    I think it is cultural and regional. The first time HB and I went to a wedding together and I asked him how much we should give- he said we should give at least enough to cover our plates. Since then, we've done that for every wedding. So when my mom complained that one of my cousins wasn't coming to my wedding because she 'gave him a good gift' and then mentioned that the gift was $125 for a family of five. At that time I realized that the mindset of my husband's family is not universal. 
  • I've never thought about "covering my plate", I just give a gift I can afford that I think the couple will like/use. I rarely give money just because...I rarely give money. I like picking out a gift. 

I think of this way, if I go to a friend's birthday party, I'm not worried about getting a gift that covers the cost of my food, why am I worrying about that at a wedding reception?

I'm sure as shit not going to ask someone what they're spending on their wedding (as one of the commentators suggested). Its not my business.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards