Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Laughing in pictures

I booked my photographer yesterday and he said to practice some poses so our photos don`t look staged. My problem is my fiancé and I are not the lovey dovey romantic kind of couple that you see in all the standard wedding photos, and I am convinced I am going to end up laughing all through the photos because I will feel silly being romantic. Does anyone else have this fear or dealt with this? Or should I just embrace our natural goofy selves and have more natural pictures then staged ones?

Re: Laughing in pictures

• I don't think you should practice posing. But then I think the photo of the bride looking smug into the sunset while the groom peers at the ground in the opposite direction are lame.

You should practice kissing, you'll do that a lot. Otherwise I think you'll be fine. Laughing photos can be the best ones, if it's a real laugh...not a staged one ;-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I did laugh in most of my photos, and it was awesome. I actually don't love our engagement photos because so many of them are posed and we look kinda stiff. We let our photographer know we preferred the silly stuff and had better luck with our wedding photos. Much, much better to capture your natural personality, I think!

• One of my favorites is of us cracking up laughing! Just go with it. Most of one I like best are of us looking natural, because it looks more like "us" than the staged/posed ones. So just be yourselves.
  • I wished we had practiced kissing for the cameras...  We don't have great pictures of our first kiss at the wedding because we just went for it and the photographers couldn't quite get it fast enough.  You should hold the kiss for several seconds so they have time to get multiple shots.

I wouldn't practice posing...  Just try to be comfortable in front of the camera (easier said than done for most people).

Our photographer started with the basics with us.  She asked us to strike our "go to" pose for pictures so she could see what we were comfortable with.  Then she worked with us to try new things and new poses.  We had 15ish amazing pictures from our engagement shoot and another 20-30 really good pictures.  Our wedding pictures were amazing and it was hard to narrow them down for the album.

If you know you don't like pictures of yourself with certain poses/angles tell your photographer up front so he/she doesn't waste time doing pictures that you won't like.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • You first kiss should last 7 slow seconds...we did 2 long kisses for good measure. Practice and count the 7 seconds in your head so your photog doesn't miss a quick peck at the alter =)

• You first kiss should last 7 slow seconds...we did 2 long kisses for good measure. Practice and count the 7 seconds in your head so your photog doesn't miss a quick peck at the alter =)

That seems way too long to me. . .I just counted that out and as a guest I would be thinking "Get a room!" Lol!

Considering a photographer should be getting 8+ frames a second. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

That seems way too long to me. . .I just counted that out and as a guest I would be thinking "Get a room!" Lol! Considering a photographer should be getting 8+ frames a second. . .
    I agree. 7 seconds feels like 4 minutes. That's completely nuts.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited May 2014
    You first kiss should last 7 slow seconds...we did 2 long kisses for good measure. Practice and count the 7 seconds in your head so your photog doesn't miss a quick peck at the alter =)
    That seems way too long to me. . .I just counted that out and as a guest I would be thinking "Get a room!" Lol! Considering a photographer should be getting 8+ frames a second. . .
    I agree. 7 seconds feels like 4 minutes. That's completely nuts.
    You'lll count faster when it is happening for real. But this is my professional advice (as a photog, not a wedding pro)...you don't have to take it, but don't cry when your photog doesn't get the photo. =)

8+ frames per second doesn't take into account the flash...getting married inside, especially a dark church- you're not gonna get 8 frames per second unless your photog has super high end equipment. Ask about f stops, apertures, strobes and flashes if you want to be sure you'll get those 8 frames. Unless you're paying top dollar they are lying if they say they will get 8+ frames per sec...doesn't matter what the camera is capable of, its a madrid of factors and skill. You may think it's nuts, but I wouldn't risk it.

• I laughed through my first engagement photos and I hated most of them - mostly because they are the kind of throw you head back laughing pictures because future hubby is a raging goofball... it wasn't a pretty moment for me... happy but not pretty...  we are actually trying again tonight *gasp* now I am nervous I will be so much more serious and stoic... I think middle ground is the best - laugh but maybe not belly busting laughing... that will be my personal goal! 
    And I agree with the kissing practice - I learned that we are kinda squish noses kind of kisser and I think we need a little more head tilting to make a prettier picture... 
    Overall just be yourselves!! A good photographer will be able to capture what makes you special as a couple!! 
  • I love how many of my wedding photos show people laughing!  It makes me think everyone was having a good time.  This includes photos from the first look, family formals, spotlight dances, cake cutting, toasts, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards