Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER: Glasses needed for bottled beer?

We're planning to buy bottled beer for our wedding (venue is BYOB) and the wedding will be fairly casual. Do we need to provide beer glasses? I have no problem drinking out of a bottle, but I don't know if that's the norm. Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NER: Glasses needed for bottled beer?

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Bottles are fine with me too. I think I even prefer beer bottle to glasses, since I want to mingle and walk around without spilling. I hate spilling.
  • I'm fine drinking from the bottle. What kind of glasses are you using for mixed drinks and soft drinks? Would they be too small for a beer? I'm also using a byob venue and plan on using 12oz plastic cups for all drinks so a beer would fit in there as well.
  • I think it's totally fine. Most weddings I attend that aren't in a hotel/banquet hall serve beer in a bottle anyway since they don't have taps handy. I don't think you need to worry about renting glasses for pouring unless you've got some nice craftbeers/microbrews your're pouring. 
  • Practically every wedding I've been to has served the beer in a bottle unless it's on draught. As others have said, bottles are more convenient for mingling.
  • I like bottles.  It's easier to walk around, and I think it looks fine for a casual wedding.  David Tutera would yell at you, but that's okay. :)

"I will NEVER see one of MY BRIDES with a BEER bottle in her hand!"  *Quelle horreur*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Hey, if David Tutera isn't running the show at your wedding, you drink it straight from the bottle like a BOSS.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• While I hate to disrupt the unanimity , I think beer in a bottle and soda in a can are both out of place at a wedding. Unless it's 100% a jeans and flip flops occasion, I think not having glasses is lazy and tacky and I agree with David Tutera- if you've put the effort into wearing a bridal gown don't spoil the look with a bottle of beer.
  • We had bottles at our wedding plus draft beer.  I really didn't think people carrying around bottles was that big of an issue nor did it look bad.

Now if you were having a black tie affair?  I would recommend glasses.  But anything else, bottles are fine.

• Awesome, thanks y'all. Understanding that "just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean everyone else is okay with it" (like we tell so many posters) I just thought I should ask.

On a different note, why am I still not getting any notifications??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Good beer or crap beer? If It's crap, bottles are fine. If it's good beer, people actually want to taste it, and getting the flavor means getting the aroma, which requires glasses.
  • Not if David Tuttera is planning you wedding ;)
  • I agree with STARMOON44. If I was drinking beer or soda, I'd prefer a glass. You should have glasses available for those who want them. 

• Make sure your venue ALLOWS people to drink out of glass! Several events/weddings I have attended lately do not allow glass, and required plastic cups. You can get really nice, classy-looking plastic barware, so if you couldn't serve in bottles it wouldn't be the end of the world.
  • My country club venue served beer in the bottles, people are less likely to spill it.  It'd be nice to have cups available for those that prefer it, but like PP said make sure your venue allows glass before you buy any.

And David Tutera can rest easy, I drank champagne all that night so beer bottles couldn't have ruined my look ;)
  • I like bottles.  It's easier to walk around, and I think it looks fine for a casual wedding.  David Tutera would yell at you, but that's okay. :)

"I will NEVER see one of MY BRIDES with a BEER bottle in her hand!"  *Quelle horreur*
    This is the first thing I thought of when I read this. LOL

Our venue pours the bottles into glasses, but I personally prefer to drink my beer from the bottle. I think it stays colder that way and it's easier to hold. I think either way is fine.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this. LOL

Our venue pours the bottles into glasses, but I personally prefer to drink my beer from the bottle. I think it stays colder that way and it's easier to hold. I think either way is fine.
    I think we're doing -mostly- aluminum bottled beer for our reception. I don't drink beer so The Holy One would not have an episode over it lol

I need to watch some more of his shows. I love them. I also need to watch more Bridezillas.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• We served beer in bottles and didn't have any complaints.  Everything else- water, soda, wine, etc.- was served in an appropriate glass but beer just got served au natural.  My uncle saved a label from his beer so he could see if they sell it in his town.
  • I would have some on hand in case a guest requests one.
  • I would have cups because technically most beers should be poured into a glass to make sure that the carbonation is distributed correctly- which helps with aroma and flavor (I also read that it can help reduce bloating because the carbonation isn't as concentrated... I will have to do more research on this.) However, some beers recommend that you don't pour it into a glass.. but these are mostly hop-heavy, unfiltered beers.

All of this is also dependent on the types of beer that you're going to have.  Bud/Bud lite/Coors?  Most of those beer drinkers are going to be totally fine with drinking it from the bottle- in my experience (life and bartending), people would just have a preference of bottled or on tap; those who ordered bottled didn't pour it into a glass. (Except for on lady who requested a wine glass with ice cubes for her Bud Lite... but you do you.)  If you are having microbrews- people may be more likely to want a glass as they might be looking for the "full" experience of the beer.

FWIW, I'm considered by some to be a beer snob- and I would rather drink out of a bottle than spill beer all over myself, because I'm also super klutzy.  

Sorry this is so long... I just get really excited about beer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bottles are perfectly fine. In fact, I'd be less likely to spill all over myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards