Attire & Accessories Forum

Vests and Shirt Colors

My fiance is having a difficult time deciding on what he and his guys will wear. I gave the specifications of matching suit pants/vests with no jacket. We are having a country/rustic wedding in late July and I figured the vests would be more casual and cooler since the ceremony will be outside. Everytime I go into Jos. A Bank or Men's Warehouse and say "no jacket" they look at me like I am from another planet.

My concern with the vests is the color shirt they will wear underneath. I am worried if he wears a white shirt it will make my ivory dress look "dirty" in pictures. Has anoyone used vests only, and if so what color shirt did the guys wear underneath? I don't want an actual color, I'm just thinking different shades of white. The vests/pants will probably be either Navy blue or Tan (our color scheme is yellow with shades of white/tan/beige). My fiance likes grey, but I think the grey will clash. I'd love any feedback!

-Lauren

Re: Vests and Shirt Colors

• White shirts are classic and will not make your ivory dress look dirty.

And the reason why they probably look at you that way is because vests should be worn with jackets. Not having a jacket with a vest is an incomplete look/outfit.

White, tan, ivory, grey are all neutral colors.  So if your FI likes grey let him wear grey.  It won't clash because it is a neutral.

• White shirts won't make your dress look dirty.    I agree with Maggie about the vests.  I think they look silly without a jacket.  I would just have your guys in tan or gey pants, white shirts and a nice tie.   Either skip the vest, or add the jacket.

Below is a photo of our wedding party.  The boys have white shirts, and my partner has a white shirt.  My dress doesn't look dirty. 

• Lwade07Lwade07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

Thank you both for the feedback! I think I feel more comfortable with white shirts now.

The picture below gives an idea of the style I'm going for. We're not really going for the "traditional" wedding style. It's going to be more casual. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference :).

Thanks again!

• Lwade07 said:

Thank you both for the feedback! I think I feel more comfortable with white shirts now.

The picture below gives an idea of the style I'm going for. We're not really going for the "traditional" wedding style. It's going to be more casual. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference :).

Thanks again!

You can still be casual and wear a full suit. Honestly, I would eliminate the vest and just have them wear the jacket. The vest is what makes a suit more dressy.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Below are some pictures of options for groomsmen attire:
    image|
    imageimageimageimageimage

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2014
    Vests are an accessory to be worn with a suit.  They are not a substitute for a jacket.  It looks like those guys took their jackets off.  They look half dressed.

Traditional men's attire for an informal wedding is a sports jackets (navy or black), khakis or grey pants, white or light blue shirt with tie.  Navy blazers are available in light weight blends, and the guys could take off their jackets after the ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you do go with vests; make sure they aren't fake vests with no back. Some rental tuxes or suites have no back on their vest. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    I agree, white is classic and won't make your ivory dress appear dirty.

If you like the look of vests without jackets, I don't see anything wrong with it. 
  • Lwade07Lwade07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

Thank you Grabows14! Yes, we will make sure the vests have backs.

We're buying vests probably from Express or Men's Warehouse and they are full vests. I think I feel more comfortable going with the white shirts now. It's apprecaited!

• I'm wearing an ivory dress and FI is wearing a gray suit with a white shirt. It won't clash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards