Wedding Woes

OK...serious WTF? Need your take.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited May 2014 in Wedding Woes
I sent my HOA a check in for our annual dues well over a month ago (it was a little late due to some unforseen things that came up, but I just paid the late fee). It was cashed 4 days after it was sent. I heard nothing else after, and since it was cashed...I thought all was good. 

FFWD to Thursday, I received a letter from a lawyer's office stating that I had not paid my annual dues. I called the HOA and said, "I did pay you. Where do I send my canceled check?" I sent images of the check to the HOA company and the lawyer's office. They e-mailed me today and said, "Our bank didn't cash your check, it was cashed by another bank. You need to call your bank and find out what happened and deal with the lawyer from now on."

I called my bank and explained the situation. My bank said that it was cashed and payment was made, so it's the HOA's problem now. I called the HOA back and they're saying it's my/my bank's problem to get the $$ back. 

The account manager is trying to tell me that checks are cashed by the incorrect party all the time. I call giant bullshit on that. We send checks that are not made out to my company back to clients ALL THE TIME and I know that I've made out a check incorrectly for my car payment once and the bank sent it back to me.

I have a friend who is an office manager/paralegal asking her boss about it. I need a stiff drink to take the edge off wanting to go down to the HOA office and wring the cocksucker account manager's neck for being a total. dick.

Re: OK...serious WTF? Need your take.

• Go ahead and do it. For everyone that hates their HOA.

Have you gone back to the lawyer with this info? I think as far as the cocksucker's concerned, he's passed the problem to a collections agent. I think he's washed his hands of ANY tracking of this and is going to leave the lawyer to tell him what's what.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The lawyer has been CC'd on all communication.  So, she's in the loop (if she reads her e-mail). I also called her and left her a message on Friday and she has not called me back.  

I think I'm going to send a f/u e-mail and explain again that they need to find my payment and if they continue down this path, my lawyer will contact theirs. 
  • Do you have copies of the back of the check?  That has tracking info on it to show where it was cashed I thought?

I think your bank and the HOA might both be right in this situation (if check was cashed illegally, bank that cashed it will now be involved as well).  The most pressing need is to make sure your HOA can't start any sort of crazy weird proceedings per your contract b/c of no payment of dues.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    edited May 2014
    I have copies of the front and back and sent them to the HOA and the lawyer.  It's just a series of numbers, the date it was cashed, and it says, "Credit Payee".  It doesn't have any bank information for the other bank  (name or what not) on it at all. 

And yes, that's what I'm trying to stop...any legal proceedings. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Your bank should be able to tell you who cashed the check right?

• 6fsn said:

Your bank should be able to tell you who cashed the check right?

The CSR I spoke to acted like she could just see what I saw on the online check imaging.  I guess I should call back and ask them to dig deeper.  But the HOA says they *know* which bank cashed the check and I bet $$ that the bank who cashed it won't tell them the name on the account due to privacy laws. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    If the HOA knows who cashed it why won't they at least release the bank name?  Sounds like they are being dickish about that.  At this point it's probably worth it to go into your bank.
  • No, they told me the name of the bank that cashed it.  And I told my bank.  I guess I'll head to my bank at lunch and see if they can help me.  The CSR from my bank was really, really nice.  

I'm just flabbergasted that I'm being told that no one can help me, while I'm sitting here with a cashed check and lawyer's letter telling me the money doesn't exist.  :( 
  • what I don't get is how did the "wrong bank" cash the check? Don't you send the check to the address specified by your HOA? And from that point, wouldn't *they* or someone they contract be handling and cashing the check? I can see if their bank somehow applied the funds to the wrong account - but really don't get how that would be your problem. It sounds like this is a matter between the HOA and their bank or bvetween your HOA and their agent that manages check processing.
  • *Barbie* said:
    what I don't get is how did the "wrong bank" cash the check? Don't you send the check to the address specified by your HOA? And from that point, wouldn't *they* or someone they contract be handling and cashing the check? I can see if their bank somehow applied the funds to the wrong account - but really don't get how that would be your problem. It sounds like this is a matter between the HOA and their bank or bvetween your HOA and their agent that manages check processing.
    That's exactly my thoughts on the matter.  And that's what I said to the account manager at the HOA.  

His response to my questioning how a bank that is not theirs cashed the check was, "It happens all the time." And he tried to tell ME that I sent the check to the wrong place.  But the bank that cashed the check is not a bank that I have dealings with for any of my other bills and also, the HOA is a 'one off" bill for me...Not something I pay all the time, I clearly remember sending my check to them.  
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Someone higher up at your bank should be able to help, either the branch manager or the customer service dept (not a teller). But yeah, seems like the HOA should be doing the legwork, not you.
  • Also, the management company manages *several* communites.  I have no idea if they use the same bank for all of the communities or not (again, not my problem)...but if they don't, who's to say that my payment didn't end up with the wrong community account? 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I have a feeling your check probably did go to the wrong community.
  • At least you know what the guy at the HOA is telling you is complete bullshit.  I'd demand to talk to someone above him and let them know that these mistakes are made "all the time" and he is making the community members fend for themselves after all these mistakes are made.
  • if these mistakes are made "all of the time" it sounds like their payables system sucks, and/or are employing a bunch of morons. 

• *Barbie* said:

if these mistakes are made "all of the time" it sounds like their payables system sucks, and/or are employing a bunch of morons. 

That, or the "wrong account" = the account manager's personal acct >;)
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • if these mistakes are made "all of the time" it sounds like their payables system sucks, and/or are employing a bunch of morons. 

That, or the "wrong account" = the account manager's personal acct >;)
    i2i
  • So, I went to my bank and they pulled up my check and even called the bank that cashed it. I talked to the rep from the other bank and gave her the routing and account #. The routing # is theirs, but she could not find the account. So now I'm sending her a copy of my check and she's going to see what happened. I'm still thinking it was cashed for another community. And, I will be finding out who the account manager's boss is.
  • Oh and I will seriously keep my bank forever and ever. They are top notch.
  • Oh and I will seriously keep my bank forever and ever. They are top notch.
    Credit Union or bank? I love my CU. Keep us updated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Any updates?  (I realize it's only been a day, but inquiring minds want to know.)
  • No updates yet.  Waiting on the bank that supposedly cashed the check to look further into it.  I'm giving them through today and then I'll be moving up the chain.  Lawyer lady has not called me after my message on Friday.  And once I have all my ducks in a row, I will be sending a politely/professionally worded nasty gram to Cocksucker and Lawyer Lady. 
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    And a EABOD cookie, maybe?
  • GBCKGBCK member
    learning how to professionally and politely, in appropriate words, eviscerate someone is such a wonderful skill.  I'm sure it will be a lovely note.

(I have told all of my employees that they can take lessons on that from my boss if they want.)
  • So, according to the bank that cashed the check, my bank needs to fill out something called a 'missing endorsement affadavit' to get the money back.  

::headdesk:: 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    edited May 2014
    But again...Who's cashing checks that don't belong to them? Why is a bank allowing this?  Ugh.  This is so irritating. I still think it was somehow cashed for another community. 

It's all a giant CYA circle jerk. 
  • 0Face0Face member
    edited May 2014
  • I just wanted to chime in...I help out with AP and once we had a vendor cash a check for an amount totally different then the amount on the actual check.  It's like...Are these banks not even looking at the check they are cashing??  They just cashed it for whatever the person had put on the deposit slip.  Such a nightmare.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. :( I hope it gets resolved soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards