Snarky Brides

You want to hear snarky...? Fiance and I kicked his Best Man

Re: You want to hear snarky...? Fiance and I kicked his Best Man

• Not butt hurt, just didn't think being called a bitch and to F off was not really a definition of snarky. Snarky has always been in my book sarcasm and borderline rude, yes, but felt some of that was taken over the top. Different times though. I guess. Think the old ladies section is probably where I belong. Thanks everyone for everyone's opinions. It was really interesting to hear a lot of points and I hope this country will one day unite again.
    name calling is not allowed. I don't remember anyone calling you a bitch. If they did, they should be reported. Most the regs don't call names, even if they are tough. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Between the nasty avatars and this; Beg to differ:
  • You do realise that none of us set our avatars specifically to be mean to you, right? They're just the avatars we all use every day on the boards.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
    I don't remember seeing that, but if you feel that violates TOS then summon KP or report it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I remember the cow comment and I think it went a little too far.

And our avatars/signatures are just there all the time.  None of it is directed at you.  And hey even if it is directed at you-- want a margarita????
    I love your avatar, mostly because margaritas are my stress-drink. 

Hey and my avatar isn't directed at you, it is a clip from a comedy about my fav. show (Game of thrones). I doubt anyone here could throw a wedding worse than the Red Wedding. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My signature is a reminder to get my bitch face on. Also. It's Scarlett O'Hara. Who's just fabulous. Obviously.

SITB

I think of you as Scarlett, but nice!

• My signature is a reminder to get my bitch face on. Also. It's Scarlett O'Hara. Who's just fabulous. Obviously.

SITB

I think of you as Scarlett, but nice!

Awww, thanks!! It's my favourite book, and she's kind of my hero. But she is also WAY bitchier than I could ever be, even on my worst days.
    Anniversary

• @HisGirlFriday13

I can't help but think of this....
    You have NO idea how many times people have posted that meme to my FB wall. LOVE IT!!
    Anniversary

• edited May 2014
    cncanderson2014 said: Between the nasty avatars and this; Beg to differ:

ETA because my quoting is broken yet again. The 'cow' comment is indeed out of line, though saying you
    sound like a hypocritical bitch is not. That part wasn't saying you are one; it was advising that that's what you are making yourself seem to be and that you may want to re-evaluate.
  • I agree that saying one sounds like  a bitch and one is a bitch are two vastly different things. Trust me, I got out of loads of trouble as a kid by telling my brother he was acting stupid.

cnc, I think you recognized that you came across like a bitch when you didn't intend to, and in the full context of the story your move wasn't really all that bitchy at all. But your OP definitely sounded like you were fishing for a reaction of "whoa, way to go, queen bitch! you tell him!" You didn't get it, you clarified your story to be less sensational, I think we can all move along.

And yeah, my gif is directed at nobody and everybody. Fries, please? With ranch.

I remember the cow comment and I think it went a little too far.

And our avatars/signatures are just there all the time.  None of it is directed at you.  And hey even if it is directed at you-- want a margarita????
    Yes please.

And I will say there are many posts I'd really like to be drunk. Not this one persay, but many.
  • Agreed with the previous remarks. There's a difference between sounds like and you are. And I don't see anyone that told you to fuck off, so I'm going to assume that was added for dramatic flair. 

People didn't respond in the way you wanted or expected, and now you're whining about people's signatures and gifs. Welcome to the internet, a magical land where not everyone agrees with you, believes you, or supports your ideas.
    What's the point? Do you need a get well card for your poor hurt butt?

Did you notice, when you posted on the Snarky page, what it says on the top of the page?
    Brides Beware: These Knotties have opinions and aren't afraid to share them. Get ready for some real, honest feedback! (Leave your sensitivity at the door)

• Y'know.. elsewhere here I can understand being concerned about names and what not. But, if you come into this section, you really should be prepared for some ruthelessness. Expecting hearts and flowers here is just like a kids contest where EVERYONE gets a trophy.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ack, I posted and then forgot I posted in this thread.

I have no fucking clue why this guy brought a sword over. I have no idea why he had one (not a fencer). Will ask J for the full story again tonight because it was pretty intense.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    Okay, getting the story from J:

The guy was really into medieval stuff and weaponry. He had lots of blades and other weapons at home and (not at school) could be seen flicking a butterfly knife pretty constantly.

Back when J was in college, and living at home during breaks, he invited a bunch of people over. J's brother (who was a year younger and also friends with a lot of the same people) asked J to ask the friend to leave the butterfly knife at home. It was really bothering a lot of people, and J was more than happy to make the request. So when he invited the friend over, he asked the friend to leave the butterfly knife at home because people in the house (e.g. J's brothers and parents) weren't comfortable with weapons.

So the friend brought a battle axe. Specifically because he was asked not to bring a knife.

So he's not invited to things anymore.
    I would think not. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phira said:

The guy was really into medieval stuff and weaponry. He had lots of blades and other weapons at home and (not at school) could be seen flicking a butterfly knife pretty constantly.

Back when J was in college, and living at home during breaks, he invited a bunch of people over. J's brother (who was a year younger and also friends with a lot of the same people) asked J to ask the friend to leave the butterfly knife at home. It was really bothering a lot of people, and J was more than happy to make the request. So when he invited the friend over, he asked the friend to leave the butterfly knife at home because people in the house (e.g. J's brothers and parents) weren't comfortable with weapons.

So the friend brought a battle axe. Specifically because he was asked not to bring a knife.

H and I have a friend who is really into weapons. He always wears a chest knife which when he first got it thought it was funny to constantly whip out at parties. Yeah, not so funny. He also decided to come to one of our parties with a loaded gun. When I found out I told H to ask him to please place the gun in our gun safe until he was ready to leave because there was no way I was comfortable having a loaded gun out in the open with a bunch of drunk asses. Luckily our friend understood and respected our request. If he hadn't he would have been asked to leave and I doubt he would have been asked back. So yeah, actions have consequences and those consequences can either be good or bad depending on the response to the requests asked.

• phira said:

H and I have a friend who is really into weapons. He always wears a chest knife which when he first got it thought it was funny to constantly whip out at parties. Yeah, not so funny. He also decided to come to one of our parties with a loaded gun. When I found out I told H to ask him to please place the gun in our gun safe until he was ready to leave because there was no way I was comfortable having a loaded gun out in the open with a bunch of drunk asses. Luckily our friend understood and respected our request. If he hadn't he would have been asked to leave and I doubt he would have been asked back. So yeah, actions have consequences and those consequences can either be good or bad depending on the response to the requests asked.
    I just like that you have a gun safe.

• We also have a gun safe. A pretty large one, in fact. I'd do the exact same thing and ask that drunks put their weapons away. Maggie, I think so far, I like everything you ever post.
  • Oh yeah, definitely have a gun safe.  I am not a huge gun person, like at all.  I grew up with them in our home but my Dad and Grandfather were both police officers so it was just a given that they had them. But H is super into guns and his Mom bought him a gun safe for his man cave.  Needless to say if H wants guns I would rather have a hideous gun safe in the basement then have them stored under our bed.

• OP, I agree with your actions. Also agree that your initial post could have been better worded and more detailed.

I'd have the same reaction - while I'm all for legalization, I'm allergic to weed so I physically cannot be around it. Luckily my friends know this, and they aren't d bags like yours, so without having to tell them I know this won't be an issue.

I feel for you. Just maybe in the future read and re read your posts before posting them - avoid the confusion and backlash of this thread :-)
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • As a person with a household that allows both smoking and drinking if done responsibly I just have to look at this story and feel kind of conflicted. You're right OP - you have every right to request no smoking at your house or events. We know of some friends who dabble with cocaine - they have been warned if it ever comes in our house, they will be removed. If they chose to fight over being removed - the police will be called. Same goes for friends with conceal carry permits - leave the gun at home or in the car. We're not anti-gun, it's just our house, and our rules. With drinking, kids around, not knowing your rules on your firearm, etc-we just find it easier. BUT if you're FI has been friends with this guy for 15 years - how does he not know he smokes on the regular? One of my bridesmaids smokes pretty regularly. I wouldn't invite her to be in our wedding, let her plan my bachelorette and then say "oh, you know how you don't drink but love to smoke - well, you can't do that for my "special day" because I object." If I felt that passionately (as you obviously do) against drugs - why would the person be such a good friend or in my wedding? Either way - the fact that you see it as a good thing that a 15 year friendship ended is sad...
  • abbyj700 said:
    As a person with a household that allows both smoking and drinking if done responsibly I just have to look at this story and feel kind of conflicted. You're right OP - you have every right to request no smoking at your house or events. We know of some friends who dabble with cocaine - they have been warned if it ever comes in our house, they will be removed. If they chose to fight over being removed - the police will be called. Same goes for friends with conceal carry permits - leave the gun at home or in the car. We're not anti-gun, it's just our house, and our rules. With drinking, kids around, not knowing your rules on your firearm, etc-we just find it easier. BUT if you're FI has been friends with this guy for 15 years - how does he not know he smokes on the regular? One of my bridesmaids smokes pretty regularly. I wouldn't invite her to be in our wedding, let her plan my bachelorette and then say "oh, you know how you don't drink but love to smoke - well, you can't do that for my "special day" because I object." If I felt that passionately (as you obviously do) against drugs - why would the person be such a good friend or in my wedding? Either way - the fact that you see it as a good thing that a 15 year friendship ended is sad...
    You put this into amazing words. We tell our posters on here that you can't ask someone to be in your bridal party and then expect them "not" do something because you knew they did that before you asked to be in the wedding.  I

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Didn't read the whole thread but for what it's worth I'm with you OP - it's not so much to ask for your friends of 15 years to not do drugs around your children or at your wedding. Heck it's not so much to ask for people not to do illegal drugs around anyone's children. And if they've proven that they won't respect your requests previously, it's likely not wrong to assume that they won't respect them at your wedding.

It's not like you were asking for the moon.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards