Chit Chat

Invitation Wording Question

Hi Knotties, 

I posted yesterday on the invitations board and got my questions answered, but I'm getting ready to order the invitations today and have two more quick questions.  I figured people are more likely to respond on this board than the other one... 

Okay, what I need to know now is, do I have to put 'in the afternoon', or is that obvious?  I just did the design online and putting the whole phrase "at half past four o'clock in the afternoon" pushed it to two lines and broke 'afternoon' in half.  So I'm wondering if I can just get away with "at half past four o'clock"?

Also, since I am including a direction card, do I need to put the street address on the actual invite?  Or can I just put:
The Franklin Park Conservatory
Columbus, Ohio

Thanks!  And if anyone has last minute ideas on where I can have the RSVPs sent (since we're moving early Sept. and won't have an address by the time we mail out the invites), I'm all ears!

Re: Invitation Wording Question

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Technically I think you are supposed to put it there, but if it wrecks everything in your invite and is a huge pain in the ass, I wouldn't sweat it. Nobody's going to think it's at 430 in the morning. It's just a formality thing.

But this is coming from someone who just put 6.28.2014 at 430 because our wedding isn't super formal and I just don't really care. I also nixed "pleasure of your company"  for "we invite you to celebrate the marriage of" because I think the traditional wording just sounds so awkward and not us.

I personally would put in the street address in case someone is like me and brings along the invite to plug into GPS later, but it's not incorrect not to. But you do have a direction card so I think you're fine. 
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We didn't put "in the afternoon" because it made the invitation look cluttered and, honestly, I'm sure people know that we're not getting married at 3:30pm.

Invitation wording is, honestly, a victimless crime etiquette type situation. While the formality of your invitations might be changed by the wording, you're definitely not "wrong" or "bad" if you leave out "in the afternoon," or don't know whether to say "half past" or "half after."

(I think you're supposed to say "half after" but that sounded really stupid to me so I did "half past")
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • If you have a separate direction card with the full address I don't think it needs to be added to the actual invitation.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • phira said:
    I'm sure people know that we're not getting married at 3:30pm.
    Right. 3:30am was the obvious choice.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    phira said:
    I'm sure people know that we're not getting married at 3:30pm.
    Right. 3:30am was the obvious choice.
    I'm pretty sure I'll be awake at 3:30am, so maybe I'll drive to the venue and apologize to all the guests that got confused.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I think PPs have addressed the wording situation, so I will offer some advice re: where to send RSVPs.

FI and I are having all of our RSVPs sent to my mom. We live in an apartment complex and our mailman is not the greatest (read: he sucks ass). Do you have a relative that you can have them go to?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't like the o'clock - if I had a choice, I'd choose those words to go!

Does "Half past four in the afternoon" fit?

Or you could be silly and write "half past four post meridiem" haha. But it looks fancy! (half past four pm)

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards