Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal shower attire?

Hi ladies!

I have my cousins bridal shower next weekend and I'm not sure what to wear. The shower is at my aunts house and the invitations were pretty informal. But I know the wedding is going to be pretty upscale (at least from what I can tell/have heard).

Since it's at their house I was thinking of wearing dark jeans, a nice top and black flats. Does this sound appropriate? Or should I suck it up and put On a dress ?

Re: Bridal shower attire?

• Options
    Do you have any dress slacks (not jeans)?  I would wear slacks over the jeans, but you know your family better.  I wouldn't wear a dress unless YOU want to wear one.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Sundress is my vote. Or some cute capris and a blouse instead of the dark jeans.
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Dark jeans, nice flats or heals, and a nice top sounds perfect. Especially if you don't normally wear a dress. Showers in my group aren't very formal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm old school - I never wear jeans to a shower, regardless of where it's being held. 
    I vote for a cute sundress.
  • Options
    I wouldnt side eye nice jeans, but showers are informal in my circle.

I vote maxi dress. They are effortless and chic. And comfy.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I personally always wear a dress to a shower. Usually just a casual Maxi or sundress. Is it a lunch or brunch shower? I think dark jeans would only work if it was an evening shower.

Anniversary
  • Options
    A casual dress of some sort. My cousin wore jeans to mine, it was fine (obviously), but she stuck out a bit.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Must be a know your circle thing. No one wears jeans to any type of shower (bridal, baby) that I've ever attended. I personally wouldn't care if you did as a guest or as the guest of honor but you would be underdressed at any shower I've attended if you wore jeans.
  • Options
    It depends on your crowd I think. Showers are really informal here. People just wear jeans and tshirts.
  • Options
    I dont think anyone will side-eye you honestly. I wore a dress to my shower and so did like half the people there. the other half was in jeans. My shower was at a small winery.

Do you know anyone else going? maybe you can ask them what they were thinking?
  • Options
    Everyone I know would wear jeans to a shower if the weather was cool enough. Otherwise, sundress/capris/longer shorts. It's already hot here, so if showed up in jeans I'd be wondering what was wrong with you because it's hot.
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    I personally always err on the side of being slightly overdressed than underdressed. I don't think you'd be rude to wear jeans, however. Do what you are comfortable with.
  • Options
    Why don't you just ask your aunt?

I vote casual sundress. 

• Options
    For a shower? Jeans are totally find in my circle. Some girls would dress up in sun dresses, but some wouldn't

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, asking your aunt is a good idea.

I would never wear jeans to a shower, but showers in my circle are generally held at restaurants or event halls.  So I'm not sure about a home shower.  Maybe try for some nice slacks instead of jeans, or a dress is always an option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Like PPs, I vote something like a sundress or a skirt/blouse deal. I would always rather be overdressed than underdressed. Unless you show up in a ballgown, I doubt you'll go too far that direction.
  • Options
    I'm going to one tomorrow and will be in my usual dress pants. This will be my first time actually meeting the bride but I'm fairly certain it will be a dressy/casual feel. I'm going with my fmil it's her niece.
  • Options
    lc07 said:

I personally always err on the side of being slightly overdressed than underdressed. I don't think you'd be rude to wear jeans, however. Do what you are comfortable with.

This. I have no problem being the only chick in a dress (and have been on several occasions).

• Options
    I'd ask your aunt.

I'll be wearing a swimsuit to my shower, since it's a lake party with swimming and boats. But I'm bringing a cute dress to wear for the gifts and eating portion of the day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Showers in my area tend to be cute sun dresses or skirts and blouses. I think I wore dark colored jeans and a nice sweater to a couples baby shower once but it was a joint sports party at the same time so it was kind of the exception to the rule.

• Options
    lc07 said:
    Must be a know your circle thing. No one wears jeans to any type of shower (bridal, baby) that I've ever attended. I personally wouldn't care if you did as a guest or as the guest of honor but you would be underdressed at any shower I've attended if you wore jeans.
    This. A friend of mine wore jeans to our mutual friends shower. I don't think any cared (and she looked great), but she was the only one in jeans.
  • Options
    I would definitely ask your aunt. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    SJM7538 said:

Hi ladies!

I have my cousins bridal shower next weekend and I'm not sure what to wear. The shower is at my aunts house and the invitations were pretty informal. But I know the wedding is going to be pretty upscale (at least from what I can tell/have heard).

Since it's at their house I was thinking of wearing dark jeans, a nice top and black flats. Does this sound appropriate? Or should I suck it up and put On a dress ?

I think bc it is at a house you can dress more down then you would @ some upscale restaurant.

That said, i hate dresses and wear jeans to every shower.

I personally think jeans are fine. If someone has a problem with it, thats them bc there are more important things to care about than what someone is wearing to a shower.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    You should dress according to the style of the invite and the event.

Myself, I would not wear jeans to a shower. At the very least dress pants/ capris, or a skirt. 

Unless the shower involved physical activity. I was once invited to a shower where we had a picnic in a public park and were going to play Frisbee- I definitely wore long shorts and a nice t-shirt. 

You can of course always ask your aunt or another family member who is attending what they plan to wear. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards