Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal shower attire?

Hi ladies!

I have my cousins bridal shower next weekend and I'm not sure what to wear. The shower is at my aunts house and the invitations were pretty informal. But I know the wedding is going to be pretty upscale (at least from what I can tell/have heard).

Since it's at their house I was thinking of wearing dark jeans, a nice top and black flats. Does this sound appropriate? Or should I suck it up and put On a dress ?

Re: Bridal shower attire?

• Do you have any dress slacks (not jeans)?  I would wear slacks over the jeans, but you know your family better.  I wouldn't wear a dress unless YOU want to wear one.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Sundress is my vote. Or some cute capris and a blouse instead of the dark jeans.
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Dark jeans, nice flats or heals, and a nice top sounds perfect. Especially if you don't normally wear a dress. Showers in my group aren't very formal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm old school - I never wear jeans to a shower, regardless of where it's being held. 
    I vote for a cute sundress.
  • I wouldnt side eye nice jeans, but showers are informal in my circle.

I vote maxi dress. They are effortless and chic. And comfy.

Anniversary
  • I personally always wear a dress to a shower. Usually just a casual Maxi or sundress. Is it a lunch or brunch shower? I think dark jeans would only work if it was an evening shower.

Anniversary
  • A casual dress of some sort. My cousin wore jeans to mine, it was fine (obviously), but she stuck out a bit.
    Anniversary
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Must be a know your circle thing. No one wears jeans to any type of shower (bridal, baby) that I've ever attended. I personally wouldn't care if you did as a guest or as the guest of honor but you would be underdressed at any shower I've attended if you wore jeans.
  • It depends on your crowd I think. Showers are really informal here. People just wear jeans and tshirts.
  • I dont think anyone will side-eye you honestly. I wore a dress to my shower and so did like half the people there. the other half was in jeans. My shower was at a small winery.

Do you know anyone else going? maybe you can ask them what they were thinking?
  • Everyone I know would wear jeans to a shower if the weather was cool enough. Otherwise, sundress/capris/longer shorts. It's already hot here, so if showed up in jeans I'd be wondering what was wrong with you because it's hot.
  • lc07lc07 member
    I personally always err on the side of being slightly overdressed than underdressed. I don't think you'd be rude to wear jeans, however. Do what you are comfortable with.
  • Why don't you just ask your aunt?

I vote casual sundress. 

• For a shower? Jeans are totally find in my circle. Some girls would dress up in sun dresses, but some wouldn't

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, asking your aunt is a good idea.

I would never wear jeans to a shower, but showers in my circle are generally held at restaurants or event halls.  So I'm not sure about a home shower.  Maybe try for some nice slacks instead of jeans, or a dress is always an option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Like PPs, I vote something like a sundress or a skirt/blouse deal. I would always rather be overdressed than underdressed. Unless you show up in a ballgown, I doubt you'll go too far that direction.
  • I'm going to one tomorrow and will be in my usual dress pants. This will be my first time actually meeting the bride but I'm fairly certain it will be a dressy/casual feel. I'm going with my fmil it's her niece.
  • lc07 said:

I personally always err on the side of being slightly overdressed than underdressed. I don't think you'd be rude to wear jeans, however. Do what you are comfortable with.

This. I have no problem being the only chick in a dress (and have been on several occasions).

• I'd ask your aunt.

I'll be wearing a swimsuit to my shower, since it's a lake party with swimming and boats. But I'm bringing a cute dress to wear for the gifts and eating portion of the day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Showers in my area tend to be cute sun dresses or skirts and blouses. I think I wore dark colored jeans and a nice sweater to a couples baby shower once but it was a joint sports party at the same time so it was kind of the exception to the rule.

• lc07 said:
    Must be a know your circle thing. No one wears jeans to any type of shower (bridal, baby) that I've ever attended. I personally wouldn't care if you did as a guest or as the guest of honor but you would be underdressed at any shower I've attended if you wore jeans.
    This. A friend of mine wore jeans to our mutual friends shower. I don't think any cared (and she looked great), but she was the only one in jeans.
  • I would definitely ask your aunt. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SJM7538 said:

Hi ladies!

I have my cousins bridal shower next weekend and I'm not sure what to wear. The shower is at my aunts house and the invitations were pretty informal. But I know the wedding is going to be pretty upscale (at least from what I can tell/have heard).

Since it's at their house I was thinking of wearing dark jeans, a nice top and black flats. Does this sound appropriate? Or should I suck it up and put On a dress ?

I think bc it is at a house you can dress more down then you would @ some upscale restaurant.

That said, i hate dresses and wear jeans to every shower.

I personally think jeans are fine. If someone has a problem with it, thats them bc there are more important things to care about than what someone is wearing to a shower.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    You should dress according to the style of the invite and the event.

Myself, I would not wear jeans to a shower. At the very least dress pants/ capris, or a skirt. 

Unless the shower involved physical activity. I was once invited to a shower where we had a picnic in a public park and were going to play Frisbee- I definitely wore long shorts and a nice t-shirt. 

You can of course always ask your aunt or another family member who is attending what they plan to wear. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards