Wedding Etiquette Forum

Friday Or Sunday Wedding?

2»

Re: Friday Or Sunday Wedding?

• We are doing a Sunday wedding with the ceremony starting at 5:30 and the reception will end at 11. Is that late for a Sunday? Definitely. Are most of the guests going to miss work on Monday? Yep. Our friends who don't like it? They don't have to come. But I also know my guests - of the 240 that will be invited, 236 are at least a 2 hour drive from the wedding location, so if we had a Saturday wedding, they would have to miss work on Friday anyways, and many family members would not attend due to religious beliefs. FI and I checked with the VIPs, and also asked for a general consensus from some friends before we booked and put deposits down, but it works for us. Our wedding isn't until the end of October and about 75% of the guests have already booked rooms in the hotel block. 

The way I see it, it you're travelling from OOT, it's slightly an inconvenience regardless of the day of the wedding. A Friday wedding usually does make people miss both Thursday and Friday, like a PP above mentioned, so keep that in mind. But missing work on Friday vs Monday for many people is an either-or, so if a Sunday wedding works for you and your VIPs, go for it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The way I see it, if I really want to be at a wedding, it doesn't matter what day it is, I will be there. But I prefer Friday weddings over Sunday weddings.
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • We're having a Friday evening wedding. We checked with our VIPs (all retired) and they were fine with whatever day. Sunday would've been hard since some members of our WP are hard-core Catholic so they would have had to go to mass first. Our wedding isn't until 6:00pm on a Friday so it gives people plenty of time to travel if they want to drive in the day-of.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Friday.

Also, if you can (other brides who might be lurking), please do not schedule a Sunday wedding during a holiday weekend when the holiday falls on Monday. If the wedding is on Friday or Saturday, I still get to enjoy a pseudo-weekend on Sunday/Monday. If it's on Sunday, that's right smack in the middle of the three-day weekend, and I can't do anything else.
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    I prefer Friday evening weddings. I feel like I have the weight of Monday Morning hanging over my head at Sunday weddings.

But it's also not difficult for me to take a half day on Friday to get ready and make the wedding. It is for others.

Anniversary
  • Ask your VIPs first - most of ours were flying in from out of state and that's how we ended up with our Sunday morning wedding.  People can get in as late at Saturday morning, and the reception is over at 3 so people can hang out or take a flight home Sunday night if they want to without being rushed or without missing much if any work.
  • casey8784 said:
    We are doing a Sunday wedding with the ceremony starting at 5:30 and the reception will end at 11. Is that late for a Sunday? Definitely. Are most of the guests going to miss work on Monday? Yep. Our friends who don't like it? They don't have to come. But I also know my guests - of the 240 that will be invited, 236 are at least a 2 hour drive from the wedding location, so if we had a Saturday wedding, they would have to miss work on Friday anyways, and many family members would not attend due to religious beliefs. FI and I checked with the VIPs, and also asked for a general consensus from some friends before we booked and put deposits down, but it works for us. Our wedding isn't until the end of October and about 75% of the guests have already booked rooms in the hotel block. 

The way I see it, it you're travelling from OOT, it's slightly an inconvenience regardless of the day of the wedding. A Friday wedding usually does make people miss both Thursday and Friday, like a PP above mentioned, so keep that in mind. But missing work on Friday vs Monday for many people is an either-or, so if a Sunday wedding works for you and your VIPs, go for it. 
    I don't understand the bolded. Why would they miss work on Friday?  Couldn't they drive in on Saturday morning?

• Friday.

Also, if you can (other brides who might be lurking), please do not schedule a Sunday wedding during a holiday weekend when the holiday falls on Monday. If the wedding is on Friday or Saturday, I still get to enjoy a pseudo-weekend on Sunday/Monday. If it's on Sunday, that's right smack in the middle of the three-day weekend, and I can't do anything else.
    QFT

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Friday.

QFT

A lot of venues that have Sunday discounts are catching on and charging Saturday rates for those Sundays anyways. Hell, I'd rather go to a MONDAY holiday weekend than split up my holiday weekend.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    Friday.

QFT

A lot of venues that have Sunday discounts are catching on and charging Saturday rates for those Sundays anyways. Hell, I'd rather go to a MONDAY holiday weekend than split up my holiday weekend.
    This. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • phira said:
    Friday.

QFT

This. 
    That is the best news I have ever heard.
  • We also had to choose between a Fri evening and a Sun afternoon/evening wedding. We are going with Friday. For 1 it is cheaper than Sunday and we rather have that evening wedding vibe. I look at it like, if my family member or good friend was getting married on a Friday, then I would take off work. No biggie. Weddings don't happen everyday. That's why I have pto!

I don't know why people make a big deal out of taking time of work. It's special occasion!
  • We did a friday wedding. The ceremony started at 4pm. Some people took time off, those who didn't didn't make the ceremony. Dinner was at 6:30 or so. I think it wrapped up by midnight. The only complaint i heard about the time was one insane person saying " You didnt tell me there was so much construction on the highway and it was rush hour". Are you actually joking though? Not my responsibility. Also do you not live in Montreal and know as soon as snowmelts there is CONSTANT heavy construction?! Please go away.
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    We also had to choose between a Fri evening and a Sun afternoon/evening wedding. We are going with Friday. For 1 it is cheaper than Sunday and we rather have that evening wedding vibe. I look at it like, if my family member or good friend was getting married on a Friday, then I would take off work. No biggie. Weddings don't happen everyday. That's why I have pto!

I don't know why people make a big deal out of taking time of work. It's special occasion!
    1) Not everyone gets paid vacation. If my cousin takes a Friday off, he loses eight hours of wages and tips. 

2) People often have limited vacation days. Back when I had 7-10 vacation days to use every year, it would have to be a very close family member or one of my best friends for me to even consider using a vacation day to attend a wedding. 

3) Taking Friday off means more time out of town, which can mean more money for a sitter, hotel, etc. If the wedding is during the day, that means I have to get there Thursday night instead of Friday afternoon, which adds to the hotel and sitter costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards