Moms and Maids

Gifts for Parents

jamiebrooke19jamiebrooke19 member
First Comment
edited June 2014 in Moms and Maids
Are you and your FI buying your gifts for the parents together or are you each buying a gift for your parents and future in-laws? Also, what are you going to buy?
 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gifts for Parents

• We have joint finances, so we bought the gifts together: Restaurant gift cards to our parents' favorite places.
  • We each bought our own parents gifts, but we got them the same things. We bought them an 8"x10" engraved picture frame and a 100 page 4"x6" photo album. We told them we will fill them with wedding pictures once we get the photos. They were very happy with the idea of getting a bunch of pictures from the wedding.
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We plan on doing a nice framed print of each of my parents at the wedding, since my parents are divorced, a gift card and a thank you letter.
  • I love when my son and daughter and their SOs give me pictures of themselves and I generally have hurt feelings when they give me a gift card or gift certificate. Those are too much like giving me money.
  • We are getting my parents a gift certificate for a dinner cruise! an experience they would never gt for themselves, but will defintely enjoy!
  • We didn't give our parents gifts.  For Christmas one of their gifts was a photo album we put together of pictures from the wedding.

If we had given our parents gifts (especially if I had given my parents something) they would have been irritated (I mean they would have been happy with the gift but they also would have been irritated that we spent money on them).  They (especially mine) get irritated when we spend money on them because they know how difficult starting out in life is and they would prefer us save our money for something more important like finishing our basement or putting it towards a new car.

• We didn't give our parents gifts.  For Christmas one of their gifts was a photo album we put together of pictures from the wedding.

If we had given our parents gifts (especially if I had given my parents something) they would have been irritated (I mean they would have been happy with the gift but they also would have been irritated that we spent money on them).  They (especially mine) get irritated when we spend money on them because they know how difficult starting out in life is and they would prefer us save our money for something more important like finishing our basement or putting it towards a new car.
    Not to criticize your parents in particular, Maggie, but this kind of attitude from parents annoys me, because it's up to me and not my parents to decide what's "more important" to spend my money on, especially if they didn't earn it.  

It's just a very ungrateful attitude to have when someone, anyone, chooses to take the time out of their lives to think about you (generic) and what you would like, regardless of where they are in life, and to display annoyance because they put you (again generic) first can be really condescending and insulting.  It might not be like that for you individually, but it can be like that for those who work hard to do something nice for someone only to have it thrown back in their face as "not important."  Sometimes showing gratitude and care for others, even parents, is important too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards