Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Graduation announcement etiquette

I'm (finally) graduating! My announcements came in the mail today. Graduation is August 2. Obviously, announcements aren't invitations, so when do I send the announcements? Before graduation, and if so how much before? Or after graduation? To send them after seems odd to me. Suggestions?

Re: NWR: Graduation announcement etiquette

• I'm (finally) graduating! My announcements came in the mail today. Graduation is August 2. Obviously, announcements aren't invitations, so when do I send the announcements? Before graduation, and if so how much before? Or after graduation? To send them after seems odd to me. Suggestions?
    I would wait until it is official (all finals passed, grades posted, etc.).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    I'm (finally) graduating! My announcements came in the mail today. Graduation is August 2. Obviously, announcements aren't invitations, so when do I send the announcements? Before graduation, and if so how much before? Or after graduation? To send them after seems odd to me. Suggestions?
    I would wait until it is official (all finals passed, grades posted, etc.).
    My graduation application has been approved. I only have 1 class left. Which means I would have to fail that class to not be able to graduate. Graduation is August 2, but final grades aren't due until August 6.
    So, I would be sending the announcements after graduation?
  • JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I'd also wait until it's as official as official can get.  And sending them afterwards makes perfect sense-- wedding announcements are sent after the wedding.

ETA: and congratulations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I'd send them after the graduation if it is not an event you are inviting people to or to anyone you are not inviting if it is.

If it is, then I'd follow @AprilH81's suggestion for people you are inviting to your graduation.
  • We are only given 5 tickets to the ceremony. I entered the lottery for extra tickets, but there's no guarantee. My H and parents wanted to host a dinner after the ceremony. So, I would send invitations to that, but not the graduation announcements themselves until after graduation?
  • We are only given 5 tickets to the ceremony. I entered the lottery for extra tickets, but there's no guarantee. My H and parents wanted to host a dinner after the ceremony. So, I would send invitations to that, but not the graduation announcements themselves until after graduation?
    Yes, exactly.  It's not really any different from weddings, actually.  You send announcements when the occasion has already taken place; you send invitations to those you actually want to attend.
  • I'd also wait until it's as official as official can get.  And sending them afterwards makes perfect sense-- wedding announcements are sent after the wedding.

ETA: and congratulations!
    Thank you! I've worked for this degree for so long, I'm so happy I'm finally done!
  • I just noticed the announcements are written in present tense, "the ceremony will take place", rather than past tense, "the ceremony took place". Will this be confusing to some?
    Also, my wedding was just 2 weeks ago. How do I make clear I do not want nor expect additional gifts? My family and friends were already so generous with their wedding gifts, I do not want anyone thinking I'm expecting more. I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want my family and friends to think I'm being gift-grabby. I'm the 1st in my family to finish college. It's important to my mom and dad to announce my graduation.
  • I just noticed the announcements are written in present tense, "the ceremony will take place", rather than past tense, "the ceremony took place". Will this be confusing to some?
    Also, my wedding was just 2 weeks ago. How do I make clear I do not want nor expect additional gifts? My family and friends were already so generous with their wedding gifts, I do not want anyone thinking I'm expecting more. I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want my family and friends to think I'm being gift-grabby. I'm the 1st in my family to finish college. It's important to my mom and dad to announce my graduation.
    An announcement in itself isn't asking for gifts. Just send it to people who it makes sense (ie close family). I wouldn't send it to cousin joe who you haven't seen in three years. If they send a card or gifts, just thank them with a very gracious thank-you note.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Although I come from a very large Italian family, I'm only close with a few. Our wedding was fairly small as well. I was only planning on sending the announcements to the same relatives we invited to the wedding. Which is why I'm concerned about coming off gift-grabby.
  • Sending announcements isn't asking for gifts, since graduations aren't generally gift-giving occasions.  All they do is announce that you graduated from a school or college.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Sending announcements isn't asking for gifts, since graduations aren't generally gift-giving occasions.  All they do is announce that you graduated from a school or college.
    They are to everyone I know.  In some cases they are pretty big gifts.  

OP while they are called announcements they are often used as invitations.  I could have unlimited guests at both my high school and college graduations due to the venues so mine went out beforehand (though I knew most of the people would not attend).  Since you have limited space I would send them out afterwards because you do not want risk someone deciding to go ahead and show up only to find out they won't be admitted.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Sending announcements isn't asking for gifts, since graduations aren't generally gift-giving occasions.  All they do is announce that you graduated from a school or college.

OP while they are called announcements they are often used as invitations.  I could have unlimited guests at both my high school and college graduations due to the venues so mine went out beforehand (though I knew most of the people would not attend).  Since you have limited space I would send them out afterwards because you do not want risk someone deciding to go ahead and show up only to find out they won't be admitted.  
    I agree with the bolded, but while sometimes people do give gifts, such as your acquaintances, for a graduation, in general, there isn't usually any expectation that gifts are expected for a graduation like they are for a wedding, shower, or kid's birthday.  I didn't get any when I graduated!
  • An announcement (wedding, graduation, baby) is never a request for gifts. It is an announcement. Yeah, some people may send gifts, but that's their choice. I just always get bummed when people say they're gift-grabby.

• I don't think announcements are gift grabby, but I would definitely wait until everything is official to send them out. I had an unfortunate set of personal circumstances my final semester of college, and I ended up failing 2 classes. I walked in graduation, only to find out a month later that I was 1 credit short of graduation. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

I agree with the bolded, but while sometimes people do give gifts, such as your acquaintances, for a graduation, in general, there isn't usually any expectation that gifts are expected for a graduation like they are for a wedding, shower, or kid's birthday.  I didn't get any when I graduated!

Stuck in box:

In my world it is absolutely expected that one will receive gifts for high school and college graduation.  In fact when I graduated from high school I received gifts from people I never would have expected them from.  Just because you didn't get any gifts doesn't mean other people don't.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

In my world it is absolutely expected that one will receive gifts for high school and college graduation.  In fact when I graduated from high school I received gifts from people I never would have expected them from.  Just because you didn't get any gifts doesn't mean other people don't.  

Same here. While I think gifts shouldn't be expected (much like weddings), generally people give lots of gifts for graduation.
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

Same here. While I think gifts shouldn't be expected (much like weddings), generally people give lots of gifts for graduation.
    I don't think that people "generally" do this.  It seems to be situational, because I don't personally know anyone who has received "lots of gifts" for graduation and I personally know many people.
  • Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

I don't think that people "generally" do this.  It seems to be situational, because I don't personally know anyone who has received "lots of gifts" for graduation and I personally know many people.
    Graduation gifts are pretty common in my experience.  But I only received gifts from very close family: parents, grandparents, FILs, and my sister.  If I sent out graduation announcements to extended family or family friends, it would be with no expectation of gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hmm, I never even knew people sent out graduation announcements! Never seen one in my life. I have gotten plenty of graduation party invitations though.
  • Hmm, I'm a little surprised. In my circle of family and friends, we almost always give graduation gifts, and often money at that. 
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

Even still, I don't think that makes sending a graduation announcement gift-grabby.
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

Even still, I don't think that makes sending a graduation announcement gift-grabby.

Agreed.
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

Agreed.
    It absolutely does not make it gift grabby.  They aren't sent for the purpose of demanding gifts anymore than a wedding invitation is a demand for a gift.  They are just both events that people often give gifts for.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

I agree sending the graduation announcement itself does not come off gift-grabby, however my concern is that graduation is so close to my wedding, both of which are traditionally gift giving events.

• I agree sending the graduation announcement itself does not come off gift-grabby, however my concern is that graduation is so close to my wedding, both of which are traditionally gift giving events.
    I really don't think that matters. You aren't limited to a certain number of gifts within a specific period of time. If that was the case I wouldn't get any Christmas gifts since my b-day is a few days before Christmas.  Your family and friends have been expecting this for a few years now so I'm sure if they were planning to get you a gift the fact that you just got married isn't going to change their mind.  And I'm sure no one is going to get offended by you sending them a graduation announcement so soon after a wedding.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

Stuck in box:

Agreed.
    It absolutely does not make it gift grabby.  They aren't sent for the purpose of demanding gifts anymore than a wedding invitation is a demand for a gift.  They are just both events that people often give gifts for.  
    I agree too.
  • We are only given 5 tickets to the ceremony. I entered the lottery for extra tickets, but there's no guarantee.
    My H and parents wanted to host a dinner after the ceremony. So, I would send invitations to that, but not the graduation announcements themselves until after graduation?

Your school is having a lottery for extra tickets?
  • Teddy917 said:
    We are only given 5 tickets to the ceremony. I entered the lottery for extra tickets, but there's no guarantee. My H and parents wanted to host a dinner after the ceremony. So, I would send invitations to that, but not the graduation announcements themselves until after graduation?
    Yes...
  • Teddy917 said:
    We are only given 5 tickets to the ceremony. I entered the lottery for extra tickets, but there's no guarantee. My H and parents wanted to host a dinner after the ceremony. So, I would send invitations to that, but not the graduation announcements themselves until after graduation?
    Yes...
    My school did this too.  I don't think it's weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards