Knottie Tech Help

Lots of spam threads

@KnotPorscha and other moderators, just want to bring this to your attention.  I'm seeing several of these threads today-there are several in the Wedding Party folder.

Re: Lots of spam threads

• I can't report them fast enough - seriously. TK put a spam block on my account for reporting the spammers and I have to wait a certain amount of time to continue.
  • @KnotPorsha any chance these spam threads will actually get taken care of before sometime Monday afternoon? 

She asks already knowing the answer is a big fat hell to the no.
  • I can't report them fast enough - seriously. TK put a spam block on my account for reporting the spammers and I have to wait a certain amount of time to continue.
    You could report them before?  I always get a message saying that I don't have permission to post when I try to report someone using the new report button.  I figured everybody got that message.

• How do you report them if clicking them leads you offsite? I'm referring to the pharmacy ads.
    What?!  @KnotPorscha - Why??  They're not autobanned, right?  Why is there a block for reporting the bad guys? 

And on a related note, I reported a spammer yesterday.  They weren't removed today, which means they'll be there until at least Monday.  Does TK just not care anymore?
  • Can't even go to the wedding party board because of spam. They're doing something major since it auto redirects to their site. Doesn't that mean they're rewriting code somewhere?
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I can't report them fast enough - seriously. TK put a spam block on my account for reporting the spammers and I have to wait a certain amount of time to continue.
    What?!  @KnotPorscha - Why??  They're not autobanned, right?  Why is there a block for reporting the bad guys? 

And on a related note, I reported a spammer yesterday.  They weren't removed today, which means they'll be there until at least Monday.  Does TK just not care anymore?
    And/or they're incompetent jackasses.

• But we don't need mods y'all.
  • They are invading other boards with movie spam as well. This site is going to be demolished by spam come Monday.

Look: http://forums.theknot.com/categories/local-wedding-boards_california-tahoe
  • The incompetence is astounding.  Who runs an international forum this way? 

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    One would think Vanilla would have noticed the spike in usage/capacity/clicks and have picked up on it already. Clearly Vanilla has been hacked and they're not monitoring their servers. Newb's have to wait a day or two to post normally.
  • I wonder if there's a way to report it directly to Vanilla Forums?
  • Blue_Bird said:
    They are invading other boards with movie spam as well. This site is going to be demolished by spam come Monday.

Look: http://forums.theknot.com/categories/local-wedding-boards_california-tahoe
    35 solid pages of spam on that board as of now. How does that not get caught by someone?
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The Knot needs to have volunteer moderators that will work at least on the weekends and at night when @KnotPorscha @KnotJackie @KnotIrene aren't working.  When we say this, the KG's just say "we are working on it", as they have been saying for a long time.  I just explained everything to FI (a techy), and he is appalled at how this website/forum is not monitored by anyone most of the time.  More/better tech employees would be great, too, seeing as how it was apparently very easy for someone to hack the code and rewrite it so that clicking a post title takes one right out of the website.  
    Now, I love these boards and appreciate that it is here, but I would really love it if it were ran better.  Imagine a person first hearing about The Knot coming onto the boards and seeing them all spammy.  They would probably log right out and never come to The Knot again for anything.
  • One would think Vanilla would have noticed the spike in usage/capacity/clicks and have picked up on it already. Clearly Vanilla has been hacked and they're not monitoring their servers. Newb's have to wait a day or two to post normally.
    I've clicked on a few of the newb's pages, and it looks like they did register a day or two ago. However, they're making a stream of new accounts. As much as I hate for this to have to happen, TK should probably install a ranking feature or something. I have seen a couple of them post "tests" before posting the actual spam.
  • I'm actually really sorry to say that all of these issues almost make me wish that I'd joined WeddingWire instead. :/
  • I know that the boards are free and there's no actual "right" to use any of this free service.   But doesn't The Knot want to make their website not look like a joke to future brides?   @knotporscha, isn't the goal to want to make more brides WANT to come and post for advice?    If the forums are a joke, how can The Knot expect to be taken as seriously?

I hope that in light of this spam those in charge will be putting measures in place to police the boards on the weekends.   Clearly this has proven that the existing system is broken. 
  • It's a shit show on the boards.  TK, you should be embarrassed.  What kind of professional company allows this stuff to go on without any moderation?  If I were new, I wouldn't stay if I saw this crap.  And even being a reg....if this spam keep up, I'll be out.  It's not an enjoyable place to be when there's pages and pages and pages of spam.
  • My last count was three separate boards flooded. They might have to shut down the site on Monday to figure it all out.
  • Scratch that, I now count six.
  • We've been told for many months that they are "working on" bringing mods back. I don't understand the holdup. I don't understand what's to work on. We got rid of mods last summer as a result of one misusing the report button, which no longer exists, and Porscha was hired to mod the boards, and cannot do it alone, clearly. 

I would like to know exactly what the big holdup is on bringing them back. Method of choosing? Is that it? You're worried if YOU choose, some of us will be pissed off at your choices, and you're worried if some of us volunteer it will be people you don't want as mods? What exactly are you "working on" with regard to bringing mods back?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • And regarding mods....TK....it does not take almost 1 year to bring them back.  Many of us work in the business world.  Saying for months and months and months that you are working on bringing back mods makes your company look incompetent.

With the spam debacle that's taken place this past weekend, if this were the company I worked for, there would be a meeting Monday morning to determine what took place, who's responsible and what's going to happen going forward to ensure it doesn't happen again.  A plan would be in place by Monday afternoon.  This would be magnified even more since the issue affected customers.  And the company I work for would make damn sure this never happened again and if it did, heads would roll.  They take stuff affecting customers very seriously.  

It's very sad that a customer service company such as yourselves doesn't care about customers and allows spam to constantly flood the forums.  This is not going to work to your advantage.  People view forums with spam as unprofessional and annoying and your customer base is going to start decreasing.  All because you can't let FREE mods who WANT to do the job help you.
  • TK, I would volunteer to mod the WP board purely to get rid of all the stupid spam threads.
  • I really don't give a fuck how you pick mods, or who you pick as mods, or who volunteers to be mods, as long as somebody closes the damn spam threads.

Anniversary
    I got that too. I give up. They can clean up the mess.
  • And we're up to 40 pages in the WP forum. Unreal.
  • Does anybody care around here?
  • The posters do.  Whether or not the site administrators do remains to be seen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards