Snarky Brides

Facebook and Pyramid Schemes

2»

Re: Facebook and Pyramid Schemes

• My neighbor used to sell Mary Kay and it used to make me break out so bad that I couldn't use it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a couple friends who are into Plexus. One isn't too bad, but another has posted up to 6 or 7 times a day about it. And, she's someone I've known for a long, long time and I don't want it to ruin the friendship. It's just...becoming offensive. Not only does she want to sell it to you, she wants to sign you up to sell. Granted, she's making more from it than she does from teaching, but she's becoming pushy and insincere. I'm going to have to hide her, even though I don't want to because I am interested in her life outside of Plexus...at least what there is of it.

And how many times do you have to report spam like that to Facebook before they do something about it?
  • Depends on what it is for me. I have a FB friend who sells Pure Romance - but I met this woman at a Pure Romance party so I knew what I was getting in to. I also have several friends who sell Mary Kay -I buy products sometimes - so I usually get a catalog and not a lot of sales pitch because they know I react better. BUT a girl I went to high school with tries to sell that Plexus crap...and that shit is a scam and can be horrible for you. I'm ready to unfriend because though she was a smart funny charismatic girl - who now posts only about that stupid crap...
  • The only party I was invited to that I was actually interested in was for Origami Owl.  Awesome concept, but way overpriced.  I didn't go (or I would have bought something!), but it would have been fun. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had a really awful experience with a former co-worker who sold Mary Kay. I stupidly told her I liked ONE of their products and would order it from her. Then the pressure started to have a party. I said no. Repeatedly. Then she started asking me to attend a party. I tried to beg off explaining as nicely as I could that other than that one item, I just want interested in MK products. She responded by talking about how she was trying to develop her business, it would be so good for her, no pressure could I just come? And like a sucker I gave in. So I go to this party after work one night. When the address I was given turns out to be an office and not somebody's house - I'm confused but go in and it turns out this is the local MK headquarters. Okay. Party happens as usual. But THEN, just as I think the party is winding down and I can go home, we are all ushered into a big room and it turns into what I can only describe as a church revival like recruiting effort for more sales people. They had one testimonial after another and sales reps stationed around the room who would yell out "Awesome!" when someone would tell us how much money they made selling. I had had enough and got up to leave. They actually had someone stationed at the door so you couldn't just walk out. They insisted I see my co-worker before I left who unbelievably tried to get me to sign-on to being a sales rep. I told her no. So we're done, right? Nope. Shortly after the revival debacle she asks me if I would help her improve her sales pitch by listening to it and giving her feedback. I suspected this was just another ploy to get me to sign-on and told her if she really just wanted to practice, I'd help but that I was absolutely NOT INTERESTED in becoming a sales rep. She assured me she just wanted to practice. The night before we're scheduled to meet she calls me to confirm and mentions her regional sales manager will be joining us. I blew my stack. She quickly backtracked and assured me they weren't trying to recruit me, it would just be the two of us, please still come. Totally against my better judgement I agreed. So, we go to lunch, she does her sales pitch asks for feedback. Is there any reason someone wouldn't want to become a sales rep? Then of course she asks me to become a sales rep. I just stared at her for a few seconds. Then I said not only did I absolutely *not* want to become a sales rep - but this entire experience had completely soured me on MK - that I frankly wasn't a fan before but from that point forward, I would avoid the company, its products and most importantly it sales reps - like the plague. I told her I was done and to not *ever* approach me about anything MK related in the future and then I got up and left.
  • I do like Scentsy and Pure Romance stuff, and I enjoy going to parties every once in a while, but I hate pushy people.

I used to know a Knottie on FB who did 31 and I bought our TY notes off her because I LOVED the pattern. After that she WOULD NOT stop asking me to do an online party (since we were in different states). It was fucking annoying. 
    Anniversary
  • Zhabeego said:
    I had a really awful experience with a former co-worker who sold Mary Kay. I stupidly told her I liked ONE of their products and would order it from her. Then the pressure started to have a party. I said no. Repeatedly. Then she started asking me to attend a party. I tried to beg off explaining as nicely as I could that other than that one item, I just want interested in MK products. She responded by talking about how she was trying to develop her business, it would be so good for her, no pressure could I just come? And like a sucker I gave in. So I go to this party after work one night. When the address I was given turns out to be an office and not somebody's house - I'm confused but go in and it turns out this is the local MK headquarters. Okay. Party happens as usual. But THEN, just as I think the party is winding down and I can go home, we are all ushered into a big room and it turns into what I can only describe as a church revival like recruiting effort for more sales people. They had one testimonial after another and sales reps stationed around the room who would yell out "Awesome!" when someone would tell us how much money they made selling. I had had enough and got up to leave. They actually had someone stationed at the door so you couldn't just walk out. They insisted I see my co-worker before I left who unbelievably tried to get me to sign-on to being a sales rep. I told her no. So we're done, right? Nope. Shortly after the revival debacle she asks me if I would help her improve her sales pitch by listening to it and giving her feedback. I suspected this was just another ploy to get me to sign-on and told her if she really just wanted to practice, I'd help but that I was absolutely NOT INTERESTED in becoming a sales rep. She assured me she just wanted to practice. The night before we're scheduled to meet she calls me to confirm and mentions her regional sales manager will be joining us. I blew my stack. She quickly backtracked and assured me they weren't trying to recruit me, it would just be the two of us, please still come. Totally against my better judgement I agreed. So, we go to lunch, she does her sales pitch asks for feedback. Is there any reason someone wouldn't want to become a sales rep? Then of course she asks me to become a sales rep. I just stared at her for a few seconds. Then I said not only did I absolutely *not* want to become a sales rep - but this entire experience had completely soured me on MK - that I frankly wasn't a fan before but from that point forward, I would avoid the company, its products and most importantly it sales reps - like the plague. I told her I was done and to not *ever* approach me about anything MK related in the future and then I got up and left.
    Sounds like the experience I had. A friend was doing her debut party and well I thought it was just to talk about various products. We were there for about 4.5 hours and the Team Leader really thought we were stupid. Whenever we tried to leave she would bring us over to the table and have us meet with other representatives. She would always ask if we would ever want to make 35,000 like her boss does. We would would just LOOK at her and they went on for hours. The girl I went with was an atheist and tried to use that as a mean to get out the meeting faster but they went on about how even though it was a Christian company, all members were welcome from each faith. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I'm an Arbonne consultant. I really like the products, and I use the consultant membership to keep my discount. I haven't really ever tried to build my business, but I could if I wanted to. I've been a consultant for seven years. 

One of my friends recently got involved in Mary Kay, and for a while she kept inviting me to parties. Usually, it would be on Facebook, so I'd just ignore it. If she asked me in person, I'd remind her that I'm more than happy being an Arbonne consultant. 

Every now and then she tries to get me to come to a party, try a product, or consider signing up, but not as much. I think the novelty is wearing off for her. I haven't heard her talk about it much. I think it would be great for her to use Mary Kay as a way to make money and have fun. I just want her to remember that I'm not interested. 
  • I was FB friends with a woman who became obsessed with selling organo gold coffee- I don't know much about it other than it is coffee but she would spam everybody with these quasi-inspirational "reach for the stars" rubbish quotes and sayings about the coffee and what it gave her. It was sad, it seems like it is almost cult-like. It got so creepy I had to hide it all!
  • I'm an Arbonne consultant. I really like the products, and I use the consultant membership to keep my discount. I haven't really ever tried to build my business, but I could if I wanted to. I've been a consultant for seven years. 

One of my friends recently got involved in Mary Kay, and for a while she kept inviting me to parties. Usually, it would be on Facebook, so I'd just ignore it. If she asked me in person, I'd remind her that I'm more than happy being an Arbonne consultant. 

Every now and then she tries to get me to come to a party, try a product, or consider signing up, but not as much. I think the novelty is wearing off for her. I haven't heard her talk about it much. I think it would be great for her to use Mary Kay as a way to make money and have fun. I just want her to remember that I'm not interested. 
    I'm also an Arbonne "consultant."  My mom started trying to build it as a business when I was in college, and she signed me up so I'd get the discount and she'd get the bonus of having another consultant under her.  I've never tried to make money at it, but I love the products and have continued using them.  They legitimately are the best thing for my very sensitive skin, but I know they're expensive and feel uncomfortable selling to my friends (who are also students).

I just got an invitation from a very distant acquaintance for an "It Works" wrap party.  Apparently these are weight-loss wraps and supplements.  I was offended on a few levels-- first, are you saying I need to lose weight?  Are you saying you only want to hang out with me when I might buy something from you, after not seeing you for five years?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• @JCbride2015‌ I love the products too. I don't buy all of them, but I wish I could. I let my friends and family order through me for the discount. The only time I charged people full price was when I used Arbonne to assist with a fundraiser for my aunt who lost everything she owned to a house fire. I think the products are great, and I don't mind helping my friends and family to be able to afford them.
  • @JCbride2015‌ I love the products too. I don't buy all of them, but I wish I could. I let my friends and family order through me for the discount. The only time I charged people full price was when I used Arbonne to assist with a fundraiser for my aunt who lost everything she owned to a house fire. I think the products are great, and I don't mind helping my friends and family to be able to afford them.
    I do the same, now.  My mom no longer maintains her her membership, so I let her and my sister use my discount.  Fi buys their products at my discount, too.  It's worth it to me to pay the $15/year to keep that discount because it's all I use.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Ugh - my ex-boyfriend was one of those suckers who would jump on any of those MLM pyramid scheme deals.  For years I had to listen to these supplements called "Rain" which I think finally folded, but then he got into those damned ViSalus shakes about a year before we broke up.  Around the same time he started those shakes, he also got a job at a lawn service, so he was walking 10 hours a day.  He lost around 30 pounds I think, and of COURSE he tried to play it off as it was the miracle shakes that did it!  Not the fact that he was physically active for 10 hours per day.  He's a complete douchebag though anyway. 

I had to hide a friend who sells that Skinny Fiber shit.  You can go and get the active ingredient, Glucomannan, for like $10 at Vitamin Shoppe....but no, you MUST order this bottle for $59.95 plus shipping because it's a miracle!  Ugh - I also hate the ItWorks wraps. 

• Same here. I save more than $15 a year in discounts. It's completely worth it. I'm actually about to order some things for a friend and myself. I want some makeup primer for my wedding day. :)
  • I don't get how "ItWorks" works. You wrap yourself up to lose weight? So can I do the same thing with an ace bandage and some lotion?
  • I don't get how "ItWorks" works. You wrap yourself up to lose weight? So can I do the same thing with an ace bandage and some lotion?
    My BFF tried the wrap, and she said it works for short-term results, so if you were bloaty and wanted to slim down for the evening you could use one - but I think it's just water weight so it comes right back.

• Oh my gosh, yes. I can't stand it! I'm in college and I have a friend who is super obsessed with MLM companies. He's convinced he's gonna build some multi million dollar company and not have to work for the rest of his life. All of his posts or updates ALWAYS have something to do with pyramid schemes/hating on normal jobs, and he keeps joining more (owning his own businesses as he calls it). First it was Vemma/Verve (which I actually joined for a period and quit), then it was Social Zing, Vector, and now it's some new one. He always calls me when he joins another, and it's getting super annoying. He thinks he's some kind of god or something, who is blessing me by calling me to join first...Just no.
  • All of a sudden at least 5 of my friends on facebook are "hosting" or "selling" or whatevery Jamberry Nails.  I had never heard of Jamberry before but in the past week I have been invited to two different online "parties" which mostly involve being inundated with post notifications and have had change the settings on a couple peoples pages so I don't see constant updates about how wonderful their fingernails are.  Honestly, if I wanted to be shopping, I would go shopping (or at least go to a website known for selling stuff). 
  • I was FB friends with a woman who became obsessed with selling organo gold coffee- I don't know much about it other than it is coffee but she would spam everybody with these quasi-inspirational "reach for the stars" rubbish quotes and sayings about the coffee and what it gave her. It was sad, it seems like it is almost cult-like. It got so creepy I had to hide it all!
    Yikes - - I sell Organo Gold but I would never dream of doing crap like this...I myself hate pushy sales so I try my best not to be one of them. I'll ask once and I realize that no thank you means just that.
  • snippet17 said:
    I have multiple people on my list that sell some type of mascara or Itworks. I have all of those people's post blocked on my friends feed and their pages of pinterest hidden to since they share information about them on there, too. But I cannot find a goddamn friend that sells Avon, so I can buy skin so soft from them.
    Skin So Soft is made of rainbows and miracles! This reminds me, I need more STAT.
  • Someone I used to be FB friends with has recently become a sales person for some skin care company related to Proactive. I randomly checked out her page out of curiosity and saw that it was covered in posts about the shin care products. Even her profile pic and cover photo are pictures of products and the logo of the company. There are sometimes multiple posts advertising different products in one day. It made me glad that we're no longer FB friends, because that shit would drive me nuts.
    Anniversary
  • rhiannon383rhiannon383 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2014
    @Molly&Domenic It's not really weight loss- the wraps are infused with botanicals and stuff that tighten and tone. It can smooth your skin too, so they can help with cellulite. It's not water weight, but the results are not permanent so you can't just do one wrap and eat a bunch of cheeseburgers (unforunately). They really are pretty cool but my one friend posts probably 20 times a day and it drives me nuts!
  • I did Vector/Cutco as my summer "job" during high school once. I only did about 3 sales before I realized that, yeah, this is not for me. I'm pretty sure that they do the sales person pitch to get profit, since those knife last for freaking ever, and I had to buy my sample set. I still have the set though, and I can cut through just about anything easily. Good product, bad sales. 
  • I did Vector/Cutco as my summer "job" during high school once. I only did about 3 sales before I realized that, yeah, this is not for me. I'm pretty sure that they do the sales person pitch to get profit, since those knife last for freaking ever, and I had to buy my sample set. I still have the set though, and I can cut through just about anything easily. Good product, bad sales. 
    I did Cutco the summer before college and my freshman year. I rarely did demos, maybe a handful for the year that I did it? I made enough money to pay for all my books. I did one big demo for my family at a BBQ and everyone bought giant sets of knives because they really are that good. I still use my demo set, and they've only needed to be sharpened once (the rep came to our house for free). I refuse to get any other brands of knives! lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• My mom and my sister both sell Mary Kay. I am so sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences with their consultants. Mary Kay founded her company on the golden rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  I doubt she'd approve of people using some of those tactics I've seen in this thread.

My mom and sister both have groups that they add people to (actually, I think they've graduated to pages now) for posting Mary Kay stuff. And they only add their friends who are customers, and even then, they only post maybe once or twice a month so it's not like your feed is inundated.

I've actually thought of starting to sell it for myself, just so I can get it 50 % off.  Plus, then my mom or sister would have an extra consultant toward their next level in the company.
    FSIL did Cutco as a summer job one summer during college. It was FI's 16th birthday and his sister was practicing her pitch to him while he ate breakfast. She was going to slice through a piece of leather to show how sharp the knives were and ended up stabbing FI in the arm. He still has a decent scar to this day. Needless to say, that job didn't last very long after that.
  • I'm a Pure Romance consultant, but I like to think I'm not pushy at all. I post everything in a group (which only happens MAYBE once every 2 weeks because I'm not really trying to make this a full-time thing), and I never post anything on my actual page because I'm FB friends with FI's family and they aren't as okay with this kind of thing as my family is. And as far as parties, I asked my friends when I first got started because yeah, it helps me make money, but the ones that said no haven't been bugged about it again. And when I do parties, I only call a guest afterwards if they specifically say they are interested in it. Even then, I call and either speak with them or leave a message, and I don't bug them again if they don't get back to me. 

I totally get it, I hate people who just can't take NO as an answer and I definitely don't want to be that pushy person!
    Anniversary

• snippet17 said:

I have multiple people on my list that sell some type of mascara or Itworks. I have all of those people's post blocked on my friends feed and their pages of pinterest hidden to since they share information about them on there, too.

But I cannot find a goddamn friend that sells Avon, so I can buy skin so soft from them.

Why don't you buy online.there have free shopping with the codes. Avon you don't have to have a rep top buy.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards