October 2014 Weddings

We booked our honeymoon!!

I can't believe it's real! Our flights and hotel stay are both booked so now I get to plan out all the fun details! I'm still in disbelief...we're actually going to Munich!!!

Re: We booked our honeymoon!!

• Congrats!  Love it!  I've been to Munich and you will love it! 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @Pepperally Where did you go on your visit? We're definitely planning some day trips but also want to do stuff inside the city. FI wants to see a soccer match if they're playing while we are there (they'll be in their fall season according to my cousin) and go see the orchestra play but otherwise we don't have anything concrete.

• PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I went back in high school so it was many, many (20+) years ago! But Munich was one of our stops and we of course had beer at the original Hofbrauhaus beer garden. We also went on an excursion to nearby Dachau which was a concentration camp...not sure if you'd be into that kind of thing on your honeymoon, but if you're history people then you might still want to go. They had the olympics in Munich so there are cool structures from those games but not sure if it's worth going to look at...I just remember driving by them. If you or FI are car/BMW people, their headquarters and a museum are in Munich. The building is pretty unique, but I did not go to the museum when I was there. My FI would love to do that if we went! He's a major car guy. There is the historic rathaus-glockenspiel that you have to at least see do it's "show" in the middle of the "town square". It's a clock on a church that does a little dance with figurines, etc. Here's the description form Wiki: it dates from 1908. Every day at 11 a.m. (as well as 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. in summer) it chimes and re-enacts two stories from the 16th century to the amusement of mass crowds of tourists and locals. It consists of 43 bells and 32 life-sized figures. The top half of the Glockenspiel tells the story of the marriage of the local Duke Wilhelm V (who also founded the world famous Hofbräuhaus) to Renata of Lorraine. In honour of the happy couple there is a joust with life-sized knights on horseback representing Bavaria (in white and blue) and Lothringen (in red and white). The Bavarian knight wins every time, of course. This is then followed by the bottom half and second story: Schäfflertanz (the coopers' dance). According to myth, 1517 was a year of plague in Munich. The coopers are said to have danced through the streets to "bring fresh vitality to fearful dispositions." The coopers remained loyal to the duke, and their dance came to symbolize perseverance and loyalty to authority through difficult times. By tradition, the dance is performed in Munich every seven years. This was described in 1700 as "an age-old custom", but the current dance was defined only in 1871. The dance can be seen during Fasching (German Carnival): the next one is in 2019. The whole show lasts somewhere between 12 and 15 minutes long depending on which tune it plays that day. At the very end of the show, a very small golden rooster at the top of the Glockenspiel chirps quietly three times, marking the end of the spectacle. ETA***this is not giving me my paragraphs...sorry!
  • So exciting!!!  Just remember not to over-plan ;-)

Anniversary
  • labrolabro member

@Pepperally Thanks for the description of the Glockenspiel! I think I hadn't read about that and it sounds like a must see!

• Are you planning on taking an day trips? If so, there is this cute little walled Mideval city called Rothenburg ob der Tauber that is a three hour drive away. It's kind of touristy, but it really is worth visiting. Neuschwanstein (the castle that the disney castle is modeled after) is even closer and on the way to the Bodensee (the largest lake in Germany).

I was an exchange student in the former East Germany for a year in high school, and I've been pretty much all over the country. I speak fluent German, and in less than a week I will have my Masters in German Studies (I teach undergrads as well), so if you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up on PM!

Viel Spaß in Deutschland :)
  • labrolabro member
    @Blergbot I'm on the fence about visiting Rothenberg...probably because of the touristy aspect. :) My mom loves it but we were also living in Germany from '89 to '92 so I know many thiings have changed. I'm pretty sure it's close to Nuremberg right? If so, I thought about taking a day trip in that direction and splitting it between Rothenberg and Nuremberg.

• Ah yes, I also went to Rothenberg.  Very quaint town but we were only there briefly so I barely remember it.  I only remember the clock tower that the road goes through.  Sounds like you are already very knowledgeable since you lived there! 
  • labrolabro member
    @Pepperally I don't think my time there counts! ;) I was 2 when we moved there and nearly 5 when we left so my memories are pretty hazy! I mostly remember visiting lots of castles, the playground in our apartment complex, and our German babysitter who gave us gummy worms lol! Oh, and walking along the road and picking actual buckets of blackberries!

• Oh!!!  @LaPeanut1018lol!  Ok, so yeah, you might not have that much knowledge.  I feel so old now because I was there in 1992 when I was a sophomore in high school!  Speaking of gummy worms...that reminds me of how we had a fundraiser to raise $ for our German trip and it was selling gummy bears.  Well, let's just say I was never good at selling stuff, and pretty much ended up eating/buying most of the gummy bears myself.  To this day I hate gummy bears, or evening seeing them in the store.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards