Chit Chat

Personalized shot glasses

I know you're not supposed to get your wedding party the same thing but I'm confident is knowing my friends would all this this. We went to Things Remembered today and ordered 10 shot glasses and had each one personalized with each persons nickname or inside joke and we're including a small selection of their favorite liquors.

When I called my aunt to tell her she made a comment that it sounded like a shitty gift for what they've spent to be apart of our day. Now I'm starting to 2nd guess this gift. The glasses alone were $152 and after the alcohol is bought, it will be about $200.

If you were a drinker and/or collected shot glasses, would you appreciate this?

Re: Personalized shot glasses

• I'm not a big liquor drinker- but I love beer.  If you had gotten me a beer glass personalize to me and a beer I love/ have wanted to try- I would be thrilled!

You know your crowd better than your aunt does (I'm assuming)- don't worry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm both a drinker and a collector of shot glasses (FI and I have collected shot glasses from each vacation spot). I would love this gift. My friends know that the way to my heart is tequila :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• If I collected shot glasses, I would appreciate this. DO they all collect shot glasses, though? Be honest.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Like PPs said....I would personally LOVE this.  But...I'm a hot mess, and so are my friends, so it just makes sense for us.
    Anniversary

• We have a ton of shot glasses.  Specially shaped ones for certain shots.  I do not need another shot glass, but wouldn't be upset if I received one.   

Now,  the liquor to go with it would be the tipping point. Bottle of Jager I would be thrilled.  Bottle of tequila  would be a waste.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • With 4 of the 10 being couples, there's a total of 7 that actually collect shot glasses. The 2 of the guys each have one they keep on hand from a vacation they went on years ago and the other guy is the bachelor of the group and doesn't exactly collect shot glasses but he has a bar in his house and a total party boat he keeps at a local yacht club so I know he would use it or display it in one of those locations. And I know they would all use them the night of lol

I just started feeling like maybe it really wasn't enough. We did see the beer glasses and thought about those for a few minutes but only 3 of our party actually drinks beer. But they all drink liquor at least 2 weekends a month or more
  • Good news is the liquor won't be random ones lol we're getting their personal favorites to go with it :)

And I love your responses! Some are making me laugh, there are a few of us in that hot mess category!! We started collecting shot glasses when we met and get one everywhere we go. Last count we had 33. It's a gift I personally would love. Much more than jewelry or another make up bag :/
  • lyndausvi said:
    We have a ton of shot glasses.  Specially shaped ones for certain shots.  I do not need another shot glass, but wouldn't be upset if I received one.   

Now,  the liquor to go with it would be the tipping point. Bottle of Jager I would be thrilled.  Bottle of tequila  would be a waste.  
    Hi, can we go on a double date?  

For real, FI and I LOVE Jager.  We always try to get friends to have some with us, but most people scrunch up their noses.  But us?  Mmmmm gimmie gimmie.
    Anniversary

• Good news is the liquor won't be random ones lol we're getting their personal favorites to go with it :)

And I love your responses! Some are making me laugh, there are a few of us in that hot mess category!! We started collecting shot glasses when we met and get one everywhere we go. Last count we had 33. It's a gift I personally would love. Much more than jewelry or another make up bag :/

Same here. I'm picky with jewelry, and tend to lose it a lot, anyways. And I don't need a makeup bag- I still have my Estée Lauder bag that I got from Macy's for free over 5 years ago. I don't know exactly how many we have, but we have ours on display on the wine tower, tv stand, and the rest in drawers. We would have a lot more of it weren't for the kitties breaking them.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• lyndausvi said:
    We have a ton of shot glasses.  Specially shaped ones for certain shots.  I do not need another shot glass, but wouldn't be upset if I received one.   

For real, FI and I LOVE Jager.  We always try to get friends to have some with us, but most people scrunch up their noses.  But us?  Mmmmm gimmie gimmie.
    Look at these beauties.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You know your friends. Sounds like something they'll all appreciate. I'd dig it! Don't let your aunt get to you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

Look at these beauties.

STOP.

I need that in my life like, three hours ago.
    Anniversary

• I guess if you know that people collect them, fine. But I don't think that's enough. I would get them something else for sure.

• lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

Look at these beauties.

STOP.

I need that in my life like, three hours ago.
    A bar in the islands named them candy corns.   Orange soda and Jager.  They do it with cream soda, Dr Pepper, Root beer.  Basically any soda.

When we moved they gave us the shot glasses. I've never seen them in any other bar.  

• If your friends all would love the personalized shot glass, then great! I wouldn't want it, but that's because we have all matching (and enough!) barware and we try very hard not to keep extra stuff we don't need around the house. Now, a bottle of my favorite liquor.....that would be awesome!
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm not a vendor, but an Etsy store that customizes those glasses is called LazerGirlz Design. I have seen them/used them in Dallas before Jager and I broke up. 

My friend bought her H a Jager machine for their first anniversary, he was smart and decided that she was marriage material.
  • I guess if you know that people collect them, fine. But I don't think that's enough. I would get them something else for sure.
    Agree- it sounds like the plan is like 20/a person? it depends on your overall budget of course but that seems a little low.

• edited June 2014
    ^ditto on that. $20 pp is probably what your aunt felt was "shitty." Not that it necessarily is, but look at it in comparison to what you're spending on the wedding and see if it still seems generous. I think the gift itself sounds great, but I would add to it. $15 is a lot to spend on one shot glass, but at the end of the day it is still just one shot glass.

Sounds like if you're only planning on the liquor costing $48 for 10 people you're getting mini bottles? Can you get them each a full fifth of their favorite instead?

ETF spelling

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards