Florida-West Coast

beach wedding/ oil spill worries

I'm planning a beach wedding this October. I was all set for the West Coast Anna Maria Island area. The oil spill has me VERY worried. Anyone else have this issue? 
Stacey & Derek 10/16/2010

Re: beach wedding/ oil spill worries

• Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are all worried, i hope it doesn't come our way. I'm watching news like crazy!! I hope BP will cap this gashing pipe for good, may be 3rd time is a charm? I feel terrible for NW Florida :O(
  • skyshellyskyshelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree I have mine on AMI in Sept. I'm praying they can fix this soon!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • seedlessmangoseedlessmango member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to start the same post yesterday. Yes, I'm worried too!!

We found a beautiful beach resort on Sanibel for our June 2011 wedding and we're now hesitant to sign the contract because of the oil. What do we do?? I'm so torn - we love our spot, our families and friends are excited about staying on the beach - but we don't know if we should risk it...what a mess!

• edited December 2011
    I'm worried, too!

We specifically didn't want a beach wedding, per se, but planned ours by Sarasota bay in Oct. Now I'm terrified it'll be all stinky and glutted with oil....

The only thing I can do in case there IS oil would be to have the ceremony indoors... y'know, use my 'Plan B', but it's definitely NOT what I envisioned!!

This whole thing is a horrible nightmare for all the Gulf states; I'm with all of you in being terrified of where it's going.... :(
  • Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think those who are planning beach weddings should have a plan "B". From what i see from the news, Sarasota area is pretty safe, knock on wood. My wedding not till next march, but gosh, i hope if oil to come here it would be cleaned up!!!
  • tracyt14tracyt14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm extremely worried too!  I'm having my wedding in November-- same location-- Anna Maria Island.  I'm not sure what my Plan B will be-- probably to close the tent and pretend I can't see the beach/ocean?!  :(  I really hope they figure something out soon!!
  • edited December 2011
    In the same boat...AMI, this October.  I was there last weekend to visit and that was the topic of conversation.  It sounds like everyone is just playing it by ear right now (not that that is comforting at all!).  I feel so bad for the businesses and the eco systems, that I feel like my wedding is the least important in this situation...but I know we all have a vision of what we want our weddings to look like and this is a major downer!  I love tracyt14's idea "close the tent and pretend!" which might not be a bad idea.  I mentioned catering the meal to another location and my event manager said she would even serve food if she had too herself...I think they don't want to loose the business too, so they seemed eager to do what they had to. 

Trying not to freak out yet but what are your plan B's? A different location- any ideas? Cancel the whole venue & pick another??
    updated: 8/23 the wedding plan 60 in the mailimage 42 Bags are packedimage 18 Missing the funimage
  • edited December 2011
    I was worried about hurricanes for months, now this!   UGH...more things to stress over!
  • tracyt14tracyt14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are all of you who are getting married at AMI getting married at The Sandbar?-- if so, that was my "close the tent and pretend" idea because when I initially booked and asked about rain she said that "closing the tent and getting married in the tent/pavilion" was Plan-B.    Just wondering if any of you had a better Plan B.

The more I hear about this oil spill the more worried I get!  I guess it has already hit Pensacola Beaches (??) 
  • Klee426Klee426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BFF just booked the Grand Plaza on St Pete beach and they added an addendum to the contract that if the oil does hit she can get a refund or move her date.  Maybe you should ask your place if they will do that!  *Fingers crossed though*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards