Chit Chat

A Wedding Gown What Would You Do?

WGWWYD?

Let's say you LOVE a dress that is $1200. And you really LIKE a dress that is $600 but you do know it isn't the dress. You have a smaller budget for your event but your dress is important. Do you spend the $1200 because you love it or the $600 because you like it a lot and you know that extra $600 can be used somewhere else?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A Wedding Gown What Would You Do?

• WGWWYD?

Let's say you LOVE a dress that is $1200. And you really LIKE a dress that is $600 but you do know it isn't the dress. You have a smaller budget for your event but your dress is important. Do you spend the $1200 because you love it or the $600 because you like it a lot and you know that extra $600 can be used somewhere else?

That would depend on how small the budget was and how much I needed that $600 elsewhere. But just me, speaking for myself, I'd buy the $1200 dress that I love.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Have you tried looking for it used online? Look around before you make you decision. Then, if it were me, I'd probably just pay the $1200 pricetag.
  • Totally a hypothetical!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unless it is from David's Bridal or Maggie Sottero, try calling Pearl's Place in Louisiana on Monday during business hours.  They only sell authentic dresses,  We saved 40% when you figure in taxes.

http://www.pearlsplace.com
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • They actually don't do Demetrios or Alfred Angelo either. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    My daughter's was Demetrios!  As recently as a year ago, she helped a friend buy both Alfred Angelo and Demetrios dresses at a great discount!

Try Netbride.com or R K Bridal.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • In a situation like this, I would take my personal budget into consideration.  If I had budgeted $1500 for just the dress, I would go with the one I love.  If I budgeted $800, I would not go over my budget for my "dream dress".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally I would go with the 600 dollar dress, but only because I can't imagine spending so much on a dress that will be worn a few hours once. So I'm biased towards frugality.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    What is the original allotted budget for the dress?  I would buy the dress because it is "the one".  I would try to find it used or as a sample to possibly save some money.
  • That would depend on how small the budget was and how much I needed that $600 elsewhere. But just me, speaking for myself, I'd buy the $1200 dress that I love.

This. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • $600 dress

But I really didn't care that much about my wedding dress. I bought the first thing I tried on that looked okay. My reaction was, "Yep, that'll do just fine."
  • $600.  But I spent $400 on mine cause I'm of the "I just need it for one day, I'm not going to break the bank for it" mindset.
  • It would depend on the overall budget. If it would impact how well I could host my guests, I'd start looking for a less expensive dress that I loved or try to find THE dress at a discount.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• The $600 dress, because I wouldn't have even thought of trying on a dress that was out of my budget in the first place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The $600 dress. Are alterations being considered in this budget?

My budget was $500 and I tried nothing on above that price. I went to a store that sold sample dresses and got a $1300 dress for $450. I think it was an older model too. So I got an amazing dress even with a strict budget. It also needs minimal alterations.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This was my situation. Dream dress would've been $1200, dress I bought was $800 (after tax, before alterations). If I knew I could've cut my budget in other areas enough to allow for the $1200 dress, I would've. But with our budget, it simply wasn't possible. I love my $800 dress but I still dream about about the $1200 one. You may be able to find it preowned (I did) but when I figured in shipping plus alterations needed on a preowned dress, there wouldn't have been enough of a price difference to make it worth it. FI would've been okay with me getting the more expensive dress but it wouldn't have been fair to him because we would've had to make serious cuts to things I knew he really wanted.
  • So in this "Hypothetical" situation the LOVE IT dress is still within the dress budget. So there was no trying on of a dress out of the budget. But the "Hypothetical" person was surprised to find out she liked a dress in the $600 range. ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So in this "Hypothetical" situation the LOVE IT dress is still within the dress budget. So there was no trying on of a dress out of the budget. But the "Hypothetical" person was surprised to find out she liked a dress in the $600 range. ;)

So if you can afford the dress you love within your originally set budget, get it! Unless your budget had changed? Or you're having second thoughts about spending that much on the dress? If it's in the budget you planned on, I just don't see the problem here. Buy the dress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• This was my situation as well. I tried so hard convincing myself that the $1200 dress I loved wasn't "the one" in favor of something less expensive. But that situation was making me miserable. I ended up finding the exact dress on eBay, brand new, tags still on, sold by a bride who bought it and ended up loving another dress more for $550. Used or dress-regret dresses are out there. Be patient and stay positive. There are tons of pre-owned sites. Having a look-a-like custom made may be an option too.
  • I'm of the mindset that the dress really isn't THAT important and there's no such thing as "THE dress." If you can find something that looks good for cheaper, go for it. The dress isn't what matters.

• Personally I would go with the 600 dollar dress, but only because I can't imagine spending so much on a dress that will be worn a few hours once. So I'm biased towards frugality.
    This.  So much this.  I am struggling with the dress and the cost.  Mine was $450, and even then I winced.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'd go with the $1200 dress if it made me happy. If the $600 dress made me just as happy, I'd get that one. But BFF says get what you want upfront because if you are not really happy with it, you'll end up spending more until you get what you want. Generally, that advice holds true. Although, I had given myself a $1000 budget and found one at a sample store for $600 including taxes. I will need minimal alterations. I was stoked and love it.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • For me it would depend on original budget - if my original budget was say 1K - I would probably go with the $600 one - because taxes and alterations. So the $1200 one - even though it is 'only' $200 over my budget, will end up be much more over budget
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• MobKazMobKaz member
    edited June 2014
    So in this "Hypothetical" situation the LOVE IT dress is still within the dress budget. So there was no trying on of a dress out of the budget. But the "Hypothetical" person was surprised to find out she liked a dress in the $600 range. ;)

What would you do if you weren't able to see the prices of the dress? It sounds as if knowing the prices has clouded your decision somewhat, as you say you were "surprised" you liked a $600 dress.
  • I'd go with the $600 dress as well. It's just a dress and it's just for one day. That said, I'm the person who occasionally looks up my model number online so I can remember what it looks like!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'd go with the $1200 dress. If I loved it, the extra expense would be worth it to me. 
  • I'll tell you what MY actual experience was:
    MY original budget was $800
    I was finding dresses that I LIKED but nothing that I couldn't walk away from.
    I talked to my FI about it, and we reworked our budget and raised my dress budget to $1600.  The dress I fell in love with was over the $1600 price point, so I went and talked to FI again about it and he his exact words to me were 'I'm not going to stand in the way between you and your dream dress - I know better, just try not to fall in love with one for $3000'.

That said - I'm SO glad that I didn't buy the over budget dress right there on the spot and I got to think about it and see it again.  I tried on other dresses after I tried on THE dress and nothing compared to it and I kept going back to it.

So -- in this situation, I would go over the budget, see if there are places you can cut (even maybe do a yard sale and try to get some cash that way).

Anniversary
  • For me, there was "the" dress. Luckily, it was actually under budget, but I did not even look at anything out of budget. There was a very special feeling when I put it on, and it helped so much on the wedding day to feel so perfect in that choice. I would not have given up that feeling.
  • KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    The $1200 dress that you love.

I wanted to spend no more than $750 and I'm usually incredibly frugal.  I bought a gown for $1150.  Why?  Because I loved it more than anything else I tried on, the material and style are perfect, and good God does it make my body look fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards