Not Engaged Yet

Anyone have experience with morganite?

So, the bf and I have been talking about marriage and babies and the whole show. For that reason, I am starting to look at e-rings and wondering what I might like. I love the look of morganite and rose gold, and I really love that it's a cheaper option since we are on a budget. However, today I read that it's a brittle stone that chips easily, isn't durable and wouldn't be good for everyday wear. What a downer. Anyone have any personal experience with this that they can share?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anyone have experience with morganite?

• Depends on how hard you are on your hands in everyday life. I'm not exactly delicate, so I'm getting moissanite and the setting is being designed to protect the stone. I've also heard that morganite can be affected by household cleaners, so you'd have to be sure to always take your ring off to clean.
  • I have nothing useful to add except that I like your taste :D
  • @BriSox81: Ha, ha, congrats!  When it happens to me, I'm pretty sure I'll have a similar reaction :)

@Moiramab: Thanks!  They're beautiful aren't they?

@KeptInStitches:  I can be a little hard on my hands.  However, I'm a nurse, and I don't plan on wearing the ring on workdays, cause I assume it would tear holes in surgical gloves easily, so that should cut down on some wear and tear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Morganite is one of my favorite gemstones! I gave BF a list of stones I like (sapphire, emerald, and morganite) and am letting him choose but I showed him a lot more morganite rings than other gemstones because they are just so pretty!

From what I've read, it is pretty durable as long as you aren't too hard on it. But I'm not very hard on my hands so I'm not too worried about it. But you can get pink moissanite, which is harder, if you want the pink color but are worried about morganite being too soft.

@BriSox - I love your post so much! I'm so excited to see your ring when you get it!!

• I suppose I COULD offer some actual advice.

It is softer than a diamond, but it's still at an 7.5-8 on the Mohs Scale (diamond is a 10), which puts it on the same hardness as emerald, aquamarine, and topaz, and makes it harder than amathyst, tourmaline, and tanzanite. (My mom actually has a tanzanite "engagment" ring - it came well after my parents got married, but she wears it in that place - and it's lasted her well over 15 years.)

Obviously I wouldn't recommend wearing morganite in a situation where you are hard on your hands, but since you wouldn't wear it to work anyway, I think you'll be okay! 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think morganite is the prettiest in allll the land. 

• I think my Sisser is the prettiest in AAALLL the land. <3

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I have one, and I absolutely love it!!
    it wasn't much cheaper than a regular diamond ring... originally my fiance was happy because usually morganite rings are under $1k, but of course, that's only the ones that are of ehh quality. If you want a really nice morganite engagement ring, you're still gonna pay over $1k, but it's worth it because you will be wearing it for the rest of your life. 
    But don't let anyone tell you that morganite isn't as bridal as a diamond! :)
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    @futuremrsshuls How long have you had your ring/ how is it holding up? I've read some things about morganite not being suitable for everyday wear too, but I don't know anyone who actually owns it, and I think it's gorgeous. 
  • @lilacck28 I've had mine for about a month now. I will say that it does get dirty really quickly... I usually just clean mine every week or so with a non-abrasive cloth and warm soapy water (I use dish soap), and it sparkles like brand new again. I'm not an extremely rough person- I work in an office, I don't like to get dirty, and I wash my hands a lot, so I don't expect my stone to fall off or break because I don't put it in circumstances where it could. I think if you're worried about wear and tear, take it off when you know you're gonna be working with your hands in a way that could affect your ring. It will get cloudy with normal wear- just know that all you have to do is clean it and it will sparkle again. Hope this helped! : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards