Chit Chat

Keratosis tips?

So my wedding is about 5 months away, and I'm trying to nip my keratosis pilaris in the bud for the pics.
I have it along my upper arms pretty bad (reddish arms.)
I don't want to have to get some fake tan or something (I'm super pale) so any suggestions are much appreciated!

For those of you unfamiliar with keratosis, it's a skin condition where you your hair follicles produce too much keratin- so it looks like you have a permanent case of goosebumps. Sometimes those goosebumps turn reddish in color.

Re: Keratosis tips?

• Can the do anything for you at the dermatologist?
  • I exfoliate pretty often, and I have eczema on TOP of this condition, so I'm usually piling on the aveeno eczema cream. Seems to help a lot. 

Definitely get in touch with a Dermatologist about this, and worst case scenario, there's always DermaBlend body makeup.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have this on my arms, too.  I don't know what treats it, though.
  • I'm not familiar with this condition, but my arms are so heavily freckled they often appear pinkish.  I had my MUA airbrush my arms so they'd appear like my normal skin tone in pictures.  Maybe this is an option for you?  I'm not sure if the makeup might irritate your condition, though.
  • I've had this as far back as I can remember, but never really worried about it.  Everyone usually thinks I've been out in the sun too long, and my bumps can vary.  I never really cared about it too much, but I think I'm finally going to see a Dermatologist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have this and my dermatologist recommended using Cetaphil Restoraderm formulated for Eczema.  There is also a lotion that goes with it that I don't use.  

I can't find it in stores so I usually order from Amazon.  When I use it consistently it helps a lot, I find that if I use a sugar scrub 1-2 times a week it also helps smooth the rough skin.  I make my own scrub (thank you Pinterest).

1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed up to a liquid to mix it)
    Essential Oils for scent if you want.

The mixture should be moist but not soupy.  Add more sugar or oil as needed.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What I've found helps is coconut oil, gentle but consistent exfoliation, and moisturizing. Basically, the bumps are a build-up of keratin in your pores, so you want to soften the keratin and scrape it off/out.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Wow! Thanks so much for the feedback!
    Yeah, the dermatologist was like 'you're doing everything right!' and gave me a RX that was too expensive to buy (well over 200 for a month!) 

I'll try that coconut oil/sugar scrub! Sounds like that might help in the exfoliation department. 

I don't normally mind my reddish arms, but my family is all 'get a tan get a tan!' and I'm just not into that- I'm pale and just want my arms to match the rest of me  :P 

Thanks again!

• KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I use a product from Lush called Buffy, it's made with cocoa and shea butter, rice, almonds and ground beans (the last three are what exfoliate). Even if I use it at night I find I don't need to moisturize the next day. Since it's made with cocoa butter it melts at body temperature and leaves a nice smell too!
  • I have this too and it actually wasn't noticeable in photos. 
  • @cambryn DermaDoctor makes a scrub, lotion, and serum called "KP Duty". I have KP and the scrub is the only thing that ever got it under control. (I had gone to a dermatologist for it, and what they gave me didn't even work. It is sold at Sephora, and is about $45 for a decent size tub that lasted me 6-9 months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @hikebikebemerry If I end up leaving Sephora with extra shit besides this witchcraft that you just got me SUPER excited to try, I am fully blaming you.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @‌beethery You know you will. Just accept it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

:(:(:(:(
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards