Chit Chat

Alcoholic Cakes

Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
edited June 2014 in Chit Chat
We have gone overboard, help us decide which alcoholic layer to forgo!

Brides cake:
- raspberry petifore? (Only non alcoholic layer)
- white amaretto
- butter rum with extra soak

Grooms Cake:
Red Velvet Cake with Jim Bean Devils Cut (vanilla, oak-y whiskey)

The groom is convinced his cake will be a hit. Any thoughts?

Is there any problem with having that many alcoholic layers? (We have two AA guests, and I'm thinking of them.)

image   image   image

Re: Alcoholic Cakes

• Any pregnant guests? Or ones with religious aversions?
    I think butter rum is more universally appealing than amaretto.

• Any pregnant guests? Or ones with religious aversions? I think butter rum is more universally appealing than amaretto.
    Or kids?

Personally, I'd go with only one alcoholic flavor.  Whatever you do I'd make sure that people understand that is actual alcohol and not just alcohol flavored.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:

Any pregnant guests? Or ones with religious aversions?
    I think butter rum is more universally appealing than amaretto.

Or kids?

Personally, I'd go with only one alcoholic flavor.  Whatever you do I'd make sure that people understand that is actual alcohol and not just alcohol flavored.  

Oh yeah. Lol. Those too.

NO CAKE FOR YOU!

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    So we'll replace white amaretto with something different. Deal. But it was sooo yummmyyyyy.. But I guess Fi can have his crazy ass red velvet whiskey cake.. That we don't know how it tastes..

No pregnant ladies as far as I know. A few kids, but I kinda guessed they wouldn't stay til 10 or they would eat raspberry petifore (whatever that word is).

image   image   image

• Get rid of butterrum! ew!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• As long as there is one non alcoholic option, you're fine.

Anniversary
  • Pregnant ladies do not need to avoid an slice of cake soaked with alcohol.  There just isn't that much in it.  You are more likely to have trouble with guests who have religious views about alcohol.  It might bother recovered alcoholic, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Y'all don't seem to be bothered by red velvet with whiskey...... Really?!

image   image   image

• So we'll replace white amaretto with something different. Deal. But it was sooo yummmyyyyy.. But I guess Fi can have his crazy ass red velvet whiskey cake.. That we don't know how it tastes.. No pregnant ladies as far as I know. A few kids, but I kinda guessed they wouldn't stay til 10 or they would eat raspberry petifore (whatever that word is).
    A. I would not order a cake that you don't know what it tastes like.  What if it's disgusting and no one eats it or takes one bite and dumps it?  You are out a lot of money.

B. As for the pregnant ladies like you said you don't know of any.  There may be some who have not announced yet.

C. Don't assume kids will leave early.  When I was a kid we always stayed till the end.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    Pregnant ladies do not need to avoid an slice of cake soaked with alcohol.  There just isn't that much in it.  You are more likely to have trouble with guests who have religious views about alcohol.  It might bother recovered alcoholic, too.
    My OB advises zero alcohol consumption.  I was given a list of "safe" over the counter medications I can take during this pregnancy and it specifically states to avoid any medications that contain alcohol.  And even if they don't need to they may choose to.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I just kinda figured you were throwing FI a bone on that one. :-p No, all the "bride's" options sound way better than that.

That's because I don't like red velvet period.  It doesn't matter if it has whiskey or not.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    sounds nasty as haaaale!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

I'm bothered.
  • Is the alcohol baked into the cake or is the cake soaked with alcohol?  If it's the former, I don't think it's an issue for people who don't/shouldn't drink.  I personally wouldn't serve an alcohol soaked cake at my wedding.
  • I would be very sad to see that you had red velvet cake, but it was soaked in whisky. Red velvet is my favorite and I hate whisky and would thus not get to eat it.
  • I would just have one cake with alcohol. I definitely wouldn't get one I hadn't tried before. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would get rid of amaretto and butter run because I think they're gross.
  • Ven&Radio said:

Is the alcohol baked into the cake or is the cake soaked with alcohol?  If it's the former, I don't think it's an issue for people who don't/shouldn't drink.  I personally wouldn't serve an alcohol soaked cake at my wedding.

It is still an issue for alcoholics if it tastes like alcohol, even if the alcohol has burned off. Those I know wouldn't touch it - don't want the reminder/temptation of what booze tastes like.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Skip the amaretto. 
  • I am not a fan of cake soaked in alcohol so I would eliminate all the alcohol soaked cake.  If I want alcohol with my cake I will fix myself a drink.

• I love red velvet with whiskey, so goood! I also love rum and amaretto...tough decisions.

I agree with PPs, you really should just have one alcoholic cake.

• I've only ever tried amaretto filling at tastings (more than one had it). Mostly, it was too strong and not to my liking. Plus, I have many guests that do not drink and would not appreciate an alcohol flavored cake even if there was no alcohol. We are also having a large portion of children.

It was actually important to us to not have an alcohol cake. Any such flavors were almost automatically off the list (though we did taste them).

I can't say that I've actually tasted a butter rum cake, but I don't think that any of the 3 amaretto cakes I've had were spectacular. They were all just too strong (either too almond or too alcohol) and really took away from the cake. While I do like whiskey, not everyone does and it's quite a strong taste. Devil's Cut would  be even more flavorful than the regular Jim Beam just by it's nature, though I have had it and it's not ridiculously oaky like I originally thought it would be.

I like alcohol. I drink nearly anything, though I haven't really gotten much into tequila. Whiskey, bourbon, scotch, gin, rum, vodka, wine, port, cognac, brandy, mead, cider, all kinds of beer, etc. I'll drink it all and enjoy it. But, even I don't want it in my cake. I want cake to taste like cake, not alcohol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• If I want a drink, I will get a drink. When I want cake, I want cake. Not alcohol.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Is the alcohol baked into the cake or is the cake soaked with alcohol?  If it's the former, I don't think it's an issue for people who don't/shouldn't drink.  I personally wouldn't serve an alcohol soaked cake at my wedding.
    It is still an issue for alcoholics if it tastes like alcohol, even if the alcohol has burned off. Those I know wouldn't touch it - don't want the reminder/temptation of what booze tastes like.
    The alcohol does not completely burn off.  That is a myth.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Is the alcohol baked into the cake or is the cake soaked with alcohol?  If it's the former, I don't think it's an issue for people who don't/shouldn't drink.  I personally wouldn't serve an alcohol soaked cake at my wedding.
    The alcohol does not completely burn off.  That is a myth.  
    Even more reason then.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards