Chit Chat

Am I the only person who doesn't care about catering to the gluten-free? *RANT*

Seriously, I do not care. Science says your "gluten intolerance" is probably made up. No one I'm inviting has Celiac or any other properly diagnosed issue, so I feel like jumping on what is essentially a health trend is ridiculous. Also, aren't most steak+potato or chicken+rice combos gluten-free ANYWAY? (unless there's breading. Yes, I know, THE BREADING).

I've gotten to the point where I don't want to hear about it. I'd be happy never hearing gluten-free, paleo, "plant-based" or any of that shit ever again. I mean, eat how you want--if you really feel better eating in whatever way, that's freaking awesome. Hooray for you and your perfectly-formed poops. But I will not bend over backwards to cater to it at my wedding. Put the fancy free food in your mouth and chew it (or don't).
This baby knows exactly how I feel

Re: Am I the only person who doesn't care about catering to the gluten-free? *RANT*

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I totally think you are fine and I hate those diets too and my FI has celiac's disease. We never expect anyone to cater to him, and we almost always find something he can eat anywhere we go. Fad dieters are total idiots. Eat a damn veggie if you want to be healthy. 

And yes, those combos are gluten free. Usually it's the sauce that's bad. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have one gluten free meal. I ordered her the vegan meal...I had 2 legit vegans and one vegetarian.But GF girl could eat whatever she wanted still off the buffet. She totally ate cake - so like you said....

Order them the vegan meal and say - sorry, they couldn't do the meat without the breading. Veggie are GF, so you're happy right??? :-D
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I think you might enjoy this thread then: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1024621/gluten-free-an-annoying-guest-rant/p1

You are not the only one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Yeah, I know what you mean! One bridesmaid has Celiac's and an intolerance to dairy, so she'll definitely be getting a special plate. Other than that, we have no other major allergies to deal with. FH's BIL went on a gluten free diet to lose weight (because he's an idiot and thought cutting gluten out of this diet would help him lose weight), and assumes we're going to have a specially made GF plate for him, including GF rolls. SORRY. Not happening.
  • My aunt and uncle are "plant based, oil-free vegans except for honey and when we feel like eating cheese" and my uncle totally ate chicken on his taco at the last family gathering. Uh, sorry. No special meals for you. My vegetarian meal, as chosen by my one legit vegetarian, is mushroom strudel with butter poached asparagus.

There's also one "dairy free gluten free commercial egg free," as diagnosed by a healer who felt her energies. Good luck with the salmon and rice? I'll ask for no beurre blanc on yours. Otherwise, YOYO.

• lkristenj said:

I think you might enjoy this thread then: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1024621/gluten-free-an-annoying-guest-rant/p1

You are not the only one.

Ha, good! On that thread people brought up vegetarians. For me, vegetarianism is so common that I have no problem offering a veggie option (plus, selfishly--I tend to think the veggie options are usually a lot more creative and delicious than the meat stuff, so I often request it when I go to weddings even though I am a happy omnivore). Maybe that is irrational, and some day gluten-freedom will be as common as vegetarianism...but somehow I doubt it. 
  • larrygaga said:
    clarke10 said:
    Yeah, I know what you mean! One bridesmaid has Celiac's and an intolerance to dairy, so she'll definitely be getting a special plate. Other than that, we have no other major allergies to deal with. FH's BIL went on a gluten free diet to lose weight (because he's an idiot and thought cutting gluten out of this diet would help him lose weight), and assumes we're going to have a specially made GF plate for him, including GF rolls. SORRY. Not happening.
    My favorite favorite thing is that gluten free breads and rolls have so many more calories and fat than the regular kind. Don't tell him that. I want everyone who didn't do their research to get fat.
    Oh, definitely not planning on telling him. We're just going to watch the process for entertainment. 
  • larrygaga said:
    clarke10 said:
    Yeah, I know what you mean! One bridesmaid has Celiac's and an intolerance to dairy, so she'll definitely be getting a special plate. Other than that, we have no other major allergies to deal with. FH's BIL went on a gluten free diet to lose weight (because he's an idiot and thought cutting gluten out of this diet would help him lose weight), and assumes we're going to have a specially made GF plate for him, including GF rolls. SORRY. Not happening.
    My favorite favorite thing is that gluten free breads and rolls have so many more calories and fat than the regular kind. Don't tell him that. I want everyone who didn't do their research to get fat.
    This cracks me up. A friend of my sister's was diagnosed with Celiac when she was in high school. Everyone thought she was anorexic because she was so THIN! Her body literally couldn't absorb nutrients because the wheat was destroying her intestines. When she started eating GF she gained weight.

Of course, if you are just a non-Celiac human being out about in the world, you probably won't have the "I can't absorb nutrients" problem and may not have as much weight to gain...but the example above illustrates why a gluten-free diet is not some kind of weight-loss miracle.
  • Sometimes I think that the "gluten free diet" is just a way to get people to do "low carb" without realizing they're low carb. Hello new Atkins and South Beach.

I don't know anything about gluten free and don't pretend to, but that's the impression that I get.

If you're a carboholic (like me) and go gluten free and lose weight, I think most of that has to be because you cut out unhealthy carbs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I don't know where you are getting that gluten intolerance is made up. FI has been to 4 doctors and all told him he has it, even though he doesn't test for celiac. He is not trying to do it as a diet, but he will literally have major issues if he eats it. I don't know it seems like I am in the minority but I don't know how you can judge other people's allergies. Of course you don't have to go getting gluten free rolls but if they want to check to make sure the sauces don't have gluten I don't think that's a huge deal. You'd be surprised by how much stuff has gluten in it. Now FI doesn't usually ask about things like sauces because we don't want to be difficult but I find it kind of harsh to say that people going gluten free are doing it for a fad diet. No one I know who doesn't eat gluten is doing it for a diet, they are doing it after speaking with a doctor.

• phiraphira member
    lkristenj said:

Sometimes I think that the "gluten free diet" is just a way to get people to do "low carb" without realizing they're low carb. Hello new Atkins and South Beach.

I don't know anything about gluten free and don't pretend to, but that's the impression that I get.

If you're a carboholic (like me) and go gluten free and lose weight, I think most of that has to be because you cut out unhealthy carbs.

Or you could be like my friend who went gluten-free because of her own personal suspected gluten intolerance, and you could just eat gluten-free versions of everything you used to eat, and eat lots of heavily processed foods that marketed as gluten-free alternatives to other heavily processed foods. *eye roll*
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • We have one person attending that eats a gluten free diet. Since we will be having a buffet with a lot of different options I wasn't too worried about specifically accommodating this one person. FMIL made a huge deal out of it and even called the caterer herself (my mom is paying for and has been in charge of the catering) to make sure there would be gluten free options for this one guest. It made me so irritated that she did this. Maybe its rude of me but I refuse to base the whole menu off one person!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• When I want to lose weight I stop eating bread, pasta and fried potatoes...because they are filler and I should fill up on veggies. I don't care what's gluten or not. BUT, I sometimes describe it as gluten free to people bc it's easier and people "get it" bc of the fad. I wouldn't expect people to bend over backwards for me...I'd expect myself to show restraint and not eat the dinner rolls and cake. Or shut up, eat them and be fat and happy...mmmmm bread products! But that's just me.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    larrygaga said:
    clarke10 said:
    This cracks me up. A friend of my sister's was diagnosed with Celiac when she was in high school. Everyone thought she was anorexic because she was so THIN! Her body literally couldn't absorb nutrients because the wheat was destroying her intestines. When she started eating GF she gained weight.

Of course, if you are just a non-Celiac human being out about in the world, you probably won't have the "I can't absorb nutrients" problem and may not have as much weight to gain...but the example above illustrates why a gluten-free diet is not some kind of weight-loss miracle.
    On the contrary! Carbs actually HELP in nutrient absorption for most people because it helps you retain water and water contains electrolytes. I actually had serious muscle cramps and spasms when I went low carb because I wasn't getting the potassium, magnesium and sodium I needed. Edit- and as a note- sometimes I would tell people at restaurants I was gluten free when asking them to remove things from orders because it was just easier than explaining what I was really trying to do. Not proud of it, but people got it way easier than absolutely no carbohydrates. 

My husband's morbidly obese coworker is trying to do a keto diet. Keto is super low carbs, like 20 grams a day. It works by starving your body of easy energy causing it to consume your fat stores. Only... he thinks no carbs means you are allowed one carb-heavy dish a day. So now he's eating tons of bacon and cheese, plus a burrito or hamburger every day. Yeah, good luck with that. A few months ago the same guy was all about juicing. So he'd make a smoothie every morning (loaded with sugar) then he'd get hungry and go get a fast food breakfast (with two sandwiches plus a coke) an hour or two later. Yeah... this is why you're fat man.
  • People who have legit spoken with a doctor and have a diagnosis are in a different boat.  The snark is for those doing it as a diet to lose weight, which is ridiculous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Our photographer legitimately has celiac, so unless we wanted her to become very ill, we had to have gluten-free options. But yeah, the paleo/clean eating/gluten-intolerant mumbo jumbo drives me nuts, not least because it makes life tougher for people who actually have severe reactions to gluten.
  • larrygaga said:
    clarke10 said:

I think part of the reason why it all makes me so angry is because I watched FI (a 6'5 man) weigh about 160 pounds. All he could do was drink insure. It was terrifying and we finally figured out what he could eat. This was abotu ten years ago before anyone really knew about celiac's. He's healthy now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't know where you are getting that gluten intolerance is made up. FI has been to 4 doctors and all told him he has it, even though he doesn't test for celiac. He is not trying to do it as a diet, but he will literally have major issues if he eats it. I don't know it seems like I am in the minority but I don't know how you can judge other people's allergies. Of course you don't have to go getting gluten free rolls but if they want to check to make sure the sauces don't have gluten I don't think that's a huge deal. You'd be surprised by how much stuff has gluten in it. Now FI doesn't usually ask about things like sauces because we don't want to be difficult but I find it kind of harsh to say that people going gluten free are doing it for a fad diet. No one I know who doesn't eat gluten is doing it for a diet, they are doing it after speaking with a doctor.
    The fact that you only know people who are GF on doctor's orders is really awesome. I WISH that were the case in my circle/in the world. 

Just a few articles talking about the way a legitimate issue has been co-opted by trend-makers who stand to profit from it:

Honestly, if someone comes to me and says hey, does the chicken have gluten in it? I'm not going to be upset. But there seems to be a trend toward offering a specific GF option for weddings, which I think is ridiculous given the relative rarity of actual gluten allergies. (WebMD estimates on the high end that it's 6 out of 100 people. That is not very many: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20131212/celiac-disease-gluten-sensitive)

As far as catering an event is concerned, I think you have to think about numbers. I mean, 6 out of 100 people probably don't like tomatoes, but I'm sure as fuck putting them in the salad.
  • I have a legit wheat allergy that I found out about 14 years ago. The new gluten-free craze bothers me. Just because something is gluten-free doesn't make it healthy or good for you. 
    However, gluten really isn't that good for you. 
  • My SO's sister has a gluten-intolerance. I've seen how sick eating gluten makes her. She doesn't at all enjoy being gluten-free and she's not just avoiding it because it's a fad diet. I think it's actually pretty shitty that you would judge her diet just because it happens to be a fad right now. It's not a fad for her. I would absolutely cater to her needs. She would never ask me to, she's capable of figuring out what she can and can't eat, but it I can make it easier on her I would.
    We are talking about people who are gluten free because they think it's healthy or a good weight loss, not people who are gluten free because it makes them sick. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    bethsmiles said: My SO's sister has a gluten-intolerance. I've seen how sick eating gluten makes her. She doesn't at all enjoy being gluten-free and she's not just avoiding it because it's a fad diet. I think it's actually pretty shitty that you would judge her diet just because it happens to be a fad right now. It's not a fad for her. I would absolutely cater to her needs. She would never ask me to, she's capable of figuring out what she can and can't eat, but it I can make it easier on her I would.

I wouldn't judge her diet. What I judge is the idea that GF should just
    generally be an option. As I said, I'm not inviting people with known issues. If they make them known to me, I might sing a different tune (if there are enough of them/it's impossible to pick around whatever gluten-y thing is on the plate).

ETA paragraphs
  • larrygaga said:
    My SO's sister has a gluten-intolerance. I've seen how sick eating gluten makes her. She doesn't at all enjoy being gluten-free and she's not just avoiding it because it's a fad diet. I think it's actually pretty shitty that you would judge her diet just because it happens to be a fad right now. It's not a fad for her. I would absolutely cater to her needs. She would never ask me to, she's capable of figuring out what she can and can't eat, but it I can make it easier on her I would.
    We are talking about people who are gluten free because they think it's healthy or a good weight loss, not people who are gluten free because it makes them sick. 
    Oh the OP didn't say that gluten-intolerance is probably made-up? My bad...oh wait it did. 

• larrygaga said:
    My SO's sister has a gluten-intolerance. I've seen how sick eating gluten makes her. She doesn't at all enjoy being gluten-free and she's not just avoiding it because it's a fad diet. I think it's actually pretty shitty that you would judge her diet just because it happens to be a fad right now. It's not a fad for her. I would absolutely cater to her needs. She would never ask me to, she's capable of figuring out what she can and can't eat, but it I can make it easier on her I would.
    Oh the OP didn't say that gluten-intolerance is probably made-up? My bad...oh wait it did. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• bethsmiles said: larrygaga said: bethsmiles said: My SO's sister has a gluten-intolerance. I've seen how sick eating gluten makes her. She doesn't at all enjoy being gluten-free and she's not just avoiding it because it's a fad diet. I think it's actually pretty shitty that you would judge her diet just because it happens to be a fad right now. It's not a fad for her. I would absolutely cater to her needs. She would never ask me to, she's capable of figuring out what she can and can't eat, but it I can make it easier on her I would. We are talking about people who are gluten free because they think it's healthy or a good weight loss, not people who are gluten free because it makes them sick.  Oh the OP didn't say that gluten-intolerance is probably made-up? My bad...oh wait it did.  Yeah but she also said this: "No one I'm inviting has Celiac or any other properly diagnosed issue."  So I think taken in context, what she's saying is that if you have not seen a doctor about it and gluten does not actually make you sick-- you are probably part of the fad diet.

One of my closest friends has severe Celiac.  This is one reason the fad diets bother me so much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• ElcaBElcaB member
    Most people who jumped on the GF train don't even seem to know what gluten actually IS. 

I work with someone who's GF & it is all she talks about. Every time we go to a luncheon or event she whines about how there is nothing she can eat. Dude, it's called COME PREPARED & BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH. That is what you have to do when you have a special diet. 
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Out of 70 people at our wedding, 1-4 are GF or vegan or something like that. I'm glad I'm not the only one bending over backwards about it. We are having a buffet with a variety of food, so I'm pretty sure people will figure it out. I do feel for people that truly do have an issue with gluten, but 1/70...
  • KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    bethsmiles said: larrygaga said: bethsmiles said: My SO's sister has a gluten-intolerance. I've seen how sick eating gluten makes her. She doesn't at all enjoy being gluten-free and she's not just avoiding it because it's a fad diet. I think it's actually pretty shitty that you would judge her diet just because it happens to be a fad right now. It's not a fad for her. I would absolutely cater to her needs. She would never ask me to, she's capable of figuring out what she can and can't eat, but it I can make it easier on her I would. We are talking about people who are gluten free because they think it's healthy or a good weight loss, not people who are gluten free because it makes them sick.  Oh the OP didn't say that gluten-intolerance is probably made-up? My bad...oh wait it did. 

Nope, I said "your gluten-intolerance is probably made up." Using the general "you," talking about broad populations. Among broad populations, the prevalence is about 6 in 100 (that WebMD link again: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20131212/celiac-disease-gluten-sensitive). Which means that for the majority of people claiming they're gluten-intolerant (or just adopting a GF lifestyle for "health" reasons),
    their gluten intolerance is made up. 

No one is talking about real, diagnosed issues. No one is shit-talking your SO's sister. But if you do the very basic research, it's clear that the popularity of the GF lifestyle has no bearing on the actual prevalence of a real, diagnose-able issue. As the sister (in law) of someone who is actually diagnosed, shouldn't you be more mad at the system that creates fake GF monsters that end up making light of your SIL's real issue, and less mad at me? 

ETA g.d. paragraphs
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards