Wedding 911

Bad taste or bad sister?

kbagley6kbagley6 member
First Comment First Anniversary
edited June 2014 in Wedding 911
Thank you for the input.

Re: Bad taste or bad sister?

• Hosting your own engagement party: bad taste, she shouldn't do that.
    Engagement party within 6 months of becoming engaged: not bad taste
    Engagement party on any day besides the day of your wedding: not bad taste

She didn't schedule her party on the day of your wedding. While hosting it herself is not good, she is in the clear for timing.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Will you be on your honeymoon during the engagement party?

• Like a PP said on your XP in Wedding Woes, you get one day. I understand being a little hurt but I would be grateful that she waited until after your wedding. It is still in poor taste to host her own engagement party though. No one offered to host one for me so I didn't have one. Simple as that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I have a plan to solve all your problems. It seems like she is excited to celebrate her engagement but she went about it in the wrong way (throwing the party for herself) so why don't you offer to throw her an engagement party a couple weeks later instead of the one she is throwing for herself.  Then she gets an engagement party, she isn't throwing it for herself, and it is not within the period you have determined must be fully dedicated to your wedding.  Obviously, you can't force her to not have the party she is already planning but if you offer, she might take you up on it.  You can even couch it in terms of it not being proper etiquette for her to host her own.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I just felt like she could have waited until the dust settled especially since she has no intention of getting married at least until 2016. I am not on my honeymoon because I return to work that Tuesday so I am available. She's already sent out invites otherwise throwing it for her would have been a great option.
  • How exactly is she ruining your "special time" by having a party two days AFTER your wedding? You get one day, that's it. 

Most people have engagement parties not long after they get engaged. So what if she's not getting married until 2016? 

I do agree it's bad taste to throw your own engagement party. 
  • If she were doing it 2 days before the wedding, I would side eye that. Two days after, not so much. I do find it a tad odd that she is having a party on a Monday, though. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Your wedding will have been over for two days. The dust would have settled for pretty much everyone but you because you will still have the newlywed glow.  But everyone else?  They will be over it and back to their normal lives.

• AddieCake said:
    If she were doing it 2 days before the wedding, I would side eye that. Two days after, not so much. I do find it a tad odd that she is having a party on a Monday, though. 

Agreed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards