Wedding Woes

Randoms

1. I offered to buy a homeless lady something cold to drink. She requested a lime drink from Taco Bell on the corner, so I threw in a few tacos.  Maybe I shouldn't have assumed by sitting on the curb with your things in a shopping cart, meant you could use something cold to drink and eat. So, I handed her the tacos and she said she didn't want any tacos. Ok. You might get hungry later, yo.

Even if she didn't want my tacos, she should have taken them. Really? Give them to a friend.

2. I just finished watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I liked the ending.

3. What's happening on the left?

Re: Randoms

• A friend of mine recently saw a lady with a dog outside of Walmart with a sign asking for money, so she went back into the store MCDonalds and bought her food.  The lady literally cussed her and said she didn't eat that ##''*/ .  She could have just fed it to the dog, she really just wanted money I guess.  Its still nice that you tried, I told my friend I hope it didn't make her not help next time, some people really do appreciate things.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Since I live in the state w/ the bottle deposit law, I hand out bags of empty pop bottles on a semi-regular basis.  (1 plastic grocery bag = about $1's worth--assuming that they are redeemable [if it's generic meijer pop, it can only be redeemed @ meijer--and I'll admit I buy generic a lot])

It feels 'safer' to me than opening my wallet, and, honestly, no one ever complains, i usually get a 'thank you" so I assume they aren't pissed about it--although for all I know they pitch the bag 10 seconds after I'm out of sight.

Breaking bad is on my list of things to watch from season 1.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I have kindergarten fears.  Our district does a strange schedule 2 days one week and 3 the next.  They also have an opt in program to do "iPad kindergarten."  Basically they use one in the classroom and then have things to do on a computer at home. It's supposed to give a 5 day curriculum with only 2/3 spent in the classroom. I'm not sure which one to sign 6let up for.  I don't want him to spend too much time on a device, but if it helps him learn, but, but , but.  The letter about it was pretty vague so I'm hitting up all my teacher friends.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    new programs are hard to know.

(and there's a certain truth to the 'opt in effect' that makes school studies extra hard to see--basically if you look at the studies, if you have a program that parents opt their kids into, it will automatically show better stats than the control group--if for no other reasons than 1-new=some effect just for mixing it up and 2-parents who opt their kids into things are involved and working on things more)

On that note, please let me rant a moment--how the hell do people work jobs while dealing w/ school/preschool scheduling hell?  How the heck do you figure out 2/3 day kindergarten?

I absolutely am interested in the significantly more affordable, well reviewed preschools in my area.  And they're all like 8-12.
     I get it--I totally understand that full days are hard for little people and it's more effective to do half days in many ways.  But how can anyone with a job manage to make that work?   It's extra infuriating because that's how all the early-intervention and assistance for low income programs locally are run.  I'm damn lucky that we don't *need* these services and we can afford something else, but it's gotta be killer for people who are stuck in that limbo (especially if there's only 1 adult @ home and/or multiple kids)

So these programs end up being enrichment for people who are SAHParents--which is great, that service needs to exist too--but it leaves out the vulnerable people who are looking for stuff.
  • GBCK said:

new programs are hard to know.

On that note, please let me rant a moment--how the hell do people work jobs while dealing w/ school/preschool scheduling hell?  How the heck do you figure out 2/3 day kindergarten?
    ::whispers:: Daycare. We pay for a full day, 5 days a week, have since infancy.

Lots of "daycares" already have a curricula set in place starting around preschool (sometimes a mini curricula even earlier) and they do full preK in preparation for kindergarten testing. She'll age out by the time she's to start kindergarten.

Once she hits kindergarten here, it's 5 days a week all day, at least with public and most private schools here, with before and after school hours care options available to align with business hours.

As to lower income, it's more like looking for full time childcare avenues, less about looking for preschools.

So, yeah. Daycare = school.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 6fsn6fsn member

The program is a couple of years old and everything I'm seeing is that it gets 50/50 reviews.  I'm leaning towards it.  A friend that does a lot with tech learning said it's just going to be more and more a part of education.  Since my kids get to play cut the rope once a month or so it would probably be good to get the exposure now instead of having to learn later.

As for the 2/3 schedule.  It's a huge district that has been doing this for a number of years.  Most every childcare program has figured out how to work with parents.  I also know a lot of preschools will offer the alternating Wednesday full day as an enrichment program so you could count on your kids going 3 days a week somewhere. 

• While the 2/3 schedule would drive me nuts (and I know it does to my friends who are in the same school district as you, 6fsn) I am totally freaking out about DD's kindergarten schedule. M-F, everyday, all day (8am-3:30pm).  AND she starts on August 4th.   I am not ready for this.
  • our daycare is a fully accredited school, and they have full day curriculum for infants - private kindergarten. Wolverine will go there through private K, and then I'm going to try to test her into first grade with our local public school district. (TX is very strict with the 5 by Sept. 1st cutoff for kindergarten, so having her start private Kindergarten at ~4y10mo, and testing into 1st grade at 5yo10mo isn't unreasonable for me. She's a smart kid, and I really don't think it will be a benefit to her to be almost a year older than her classmates - I'd rather her be on the younger side and have more of a challenge than be older and bored out of her mind. )
  • GBCKGBCK member
    I think part of it is not being urban enough to have daycare that works for non 9-5 jobs.  The preschool we're doing is daycare as well--but there's a real shortage of places that manage for the non 9-5 parents (which sucks extra because low paying jobs aren't 9-5).

I would be a wreck w/ the 2/3 day thing.  I mean, in school there was always "music/art on Tues Thurs, Gym Mon/Wed, rotate every other Friday" and I swear, I always memorized 2 or 3 kids in my group and followed them--I NEVER knew where I was going on Friday. I'd have to have a giant calendar pinned to the fridge to keep track.
  • 6fsn6fsn member

@GBCK I need to find a better calendar system.  6let will be going T/F every other Wednesday and M2 goes T/TH. 

I figure it's pretty regularly scores the second best district in the state so it must know something.

• 1.  GBCK:  Wooz starts kindergarten this fall and her daycare/preschool transports them from school to the afterschool program, and I pick her (and nicknameless DS) up there.

2.  3 days one week/2 days the next is literally the strangest school schedule I have ever heard.  Not judging, just a fact.

3.  Loosely related to NOLA:  the four of us were getting out of the car outside our favorite Mexican restaurant Sat. night when a methy-looking woman approached us and started going on about being evicted from her apartment and could she have some cash.  And there's the Woozle:  "Mommy, what does evicted mean?"
  • 6fsn said:
    I have kindergarten fears.  Our district does a strange schedule 2 days one week and 3 the next.  They also have an opt in program to do "iPad kindergarten."  Basically they use one in the classroom and then have things to do on a computer at home. It's supposed to give a 5 day curriculum with only 2/3 spent in the classroom. I'm not sure which one to sign 6let up for.  I don't want him to spend too much time on a device, but if it helps him learn, but, but , but.  The letter about it was pretty vague so I'm hitting up all my teacher friends.
    I'm a little confused on this ^^^ so the options are: Option #1) go 2 days on week #1, and 3 days on week #2, so a total of 5 days of classroom time every two weeks Option #2) classroom schedule as above, but ipad based learning to support homeschooling on the 5 home days every 2 weeks?
  • GBCKGBCK member
    someone has to make a calendar for that.  

(or if not, I should totally make one.  I mean, a person who rarely knows what the date is and says "it's Monday, right?" multiple times a day when looking at the schedules I create for all of the stuff at work MUST be the type of person who can make an idiot proof calendar)
  • I'm lucky if I can remember to bring something for Wolverine's show-and-tell, which happens EVERY Thursday. I'd go crazy if the school days kept changing every week.
  • I hate to ask, but if the goal is to use the iPad to provide a 5 day curriculum...then why don't they just provide a five day curriculum.  I feel like I am missing something and I am going to feel dumb once it's explained to me.
  • i2i @Heffalump - it seems like this would give some kids a huge advantage over the others. who the heck wouldn't pick the option of 5 day curriculum over avg 2.5 day curriculum? (I'm not saying that parents who pick the 5 curriculum would have time to actually accomplish the homeschooling aspect - it seems impossible for anyone with a FT job - but wouldn't they want the kids to have the option?)

• 6fsn6fsn member
    Heffalump said:
    I hate to ask, but if the goal is to use the iPad to provide a 5 day curriculum...then why don't they just provide a five day curriculum.  I feel like I am missing something and I am going to feel dumb once it's explained to me.

$$$$$$ It's actually more common for schools to go half day kinder in Ohio.

@Barbie you got it right.

• It seems that a lot of the school districts around here are gradually changing to full day. 6 - yours is the only one I know of in the area that does less than 5 days a week, though. And $$$$ seems like a strange factor, considering the school district you're in...
  • GBCKGBCK member
    there have been laws about funding and full day/half day things in the last few years--I don't remember details, and I think they change from state to state but know they exist--some states do the "if you only do 1/2 a day, you get 1/2 your allotment per kid" rules

(I now that the preschool/day care we just started does do kindergarten pickup...I wonder if they'll drive all the way to mytown?  hmm.  More things to stress in advance over :)

My state is one of the few where legally they don't have to offer ANY kindergarten, so I take whatever they offer I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards