Wedding Party

Another BM Gift Discussion... :)

So my wedding is getting closer and while I am trying to remain calm about what appears to be a mountain of little shit I have left to do, one thing I keep coming back to is gifts for my girls. I have been thinking about this on and off almost since I asked them to be my BMs and every time I thought, "Something will come to me." Except that I've always been awful at picking out gifts for people (even people I have literally known my whole life) and I still haven't had an epiphany. The best idea I came up with was a pair of customized chucks for one of my girls because she would really love it but then I was at a loss for everyone else. 

So after reading a previous discussion regarding the cost of being a BMs (btw, I haven't yet been a BM), I was kind of shocked about the financial burden it puts on some girls, While I tried to make everything as inexpensive as I could, I am still feeling guilty about it, though I never outright asked for anything (ie the bridal shower happening this weekend and the bach party the beginning of Aug). With this in mind, I was wondering,
and I am really nervous to ask, would it be tacky or in poor taste if I gave each of my girls a gift card (like a generic VISA or Mastercard one so it can be used anywhere they want) in addition to a picture of us (meaning me and each BM individually) and a very heartfelt note

I want to be sure that they know how much I truly value the time and money they have spent to celebrate my upcoming nuptials - I really don't want to give them a gift that
I may think is perfect but leaves them feeling underwhelmed. I've always thought GCs to be rather impersonal so that is my concern but I'm more concerned about giving them a gift that will wind up in the "worst bridesmaid gift EVER" pile. 
I'm sure I am over thinking this (as often is the case) but I'd appreciate a little feedback. Thanks in advance! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Another BM Gift Discussion... :)

• I actually think it's a good idea. By the time the wedding rolls around, they will have spent mucho $$ on everything, and as long as it comes with a sweet note or something personal, I think they will appreciate it. Plus it will show how mindful you are of the fact that they have had to spend a lot of money to do this. Maybe even make a joke out of it, like giving a Visa giftcard with a 500 Grand candy bar and a note that says something like "sorry it has probably cost you about 500 Grand to be in my wedding" ... if they are into sarcasm.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think you can ever go wrong with a gift card, especially one that has no allegiance to any particular store.  I would always prefer a $5.00 gift card to any tschotske of any cost.  The heartfelt note is the important component of the gift. 
  • I don't know how other's would feel.. but I like gift cards. Generic works for me too. I'm even cool with cash in a card. But I'd really love a gift card from barnes and noble or sephora. If you're worried about a gift card or cash not being personal enough, pick a store you know they like.And you should know your friends. It doesn't matter if people here like cash or don't like cash as gifts-- but it does matter if you have a sense that your friends do or don't. 
  • lilacck28 said:
    I don't know how other's would feel.. but I like gift cards. Generic works for me too. I'm even cool with cash in a card. But I'd really love a gift card from barnes and noble or sephora. If you're worried about a gift card or cash not being personal enough, pick a store you know they like.And you should know your friends. It doesn't matter if people here like cash or don't like cash as gifts-- but it does matter if you have a sense that your friends do or don't. 
    This. To some people gift cards/cash can come across as you putting zero thought or effort into the gift. To other people they are the most awesome gift ever.  

I work on a sliding scale.  I would never ever complain about cash or a gift card, I will gladly use them.  However, I would prefer a gift that you took the time and effort to pick out that was totally me.  But if you are just going to buy random crap because you feel like you have to get me something then just go with gift card/money.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't like gift cards as gifts, but if you think your girls do then I think that would be fine. I know I'm in the minority on that one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards