Wedding Etiquette Forum

*Giggle* Cash Bars...

I'm in the middle of a webinar about food and beverage planning for business events (I'm a corporate meeting planner) and the instructor is talking about bar service options.  

She mentioned tickets if it isn't a hosted bar (to avoid having bar tenders having to handle money) and very quickly added that it would NOT be appropriate for weddings.  
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: *Giggle* Cash Bars...

• ::golf claps::

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I went to a luau-themed wedding once, and they make "drinking leis" for us.  Each necklace had five flower tickets on it, which we could turn in to the bartender for a drink each.  After that point you were cut off because they didn't want anyone sloppy drunk.  While I appreciated the anti-ugly drunk idea, it was so incredibly tacky.
  • Nymeru said:
    I went to a luau-themed wedding once, and they make "drinking leis" for us.  Each necklace had five flower tickets on it, which we could turn in to the bartender for a drink each.  After that point you were cut off because they didn't want anyone sloppy drunk.  While I appreciated the anti-ugly drunk idea, it was so incredibly tacky.
    Interesting and yes tacky.

Although I give them kudos for giving you 5.  All the drink tickets ideas I've seen have been the magic number of 2.   I'm more of a 1 drink per hour/hour-and-half.   A 4 hour wedding I want more than 2 drinks.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I never even considered drink tickets but the lei idea has me intrigued. Not that I would do that specifically because yes I agree that that is tacky, but I'm just curious as to whether or not there would be a way to tastefully implement something like this. I DON'T want people getting sloppy drunk and to be honest with you, it'd be MY family that would get that way. *rolls eyes* 
  • I grew up in a stereotypical Irish-Catholic family.  We are the reason the stereotype exists in the first place.  

I expect a few drunk people.  It doesn't bother me one bit.  Even if it was on my dime.   As long as they are not driving, which IME there is always a DD, it's something I do not care about.  I expected drinkers at my wedding so we offered transportation so there wouldn't have to be the odd man out who couldn't drink because they were the DD.

::shrugs::

• I never even considered drink tickets but the lei idea has me intrigued. Not that I would do that specifically because yes I agree that that is tacky, but I'm just curious as to whether or not there would be a way to tastefully implement something like this. I DON'T want people getting sloppy drunk and to be honest with you, it'd be MY family that would get that way. *rolls eyes* 
    A tasteful way of preventing your guests from getting sloppy drunk is to hire a professional bartender who can cut people off when he/she sees they have had too much.
    A million times this.  A good professional bartender will know when to cut people off.

If you have particular family members you are worried about getting sloppy, show their picture to the bartender and ask him/her to keep an extra eye out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards