Not Engaged Yet

Ask and you shall receive…(PIP)

DRESS PICTURE!

(I can't get it to post a bigger picture right here, if anyone can tell me how to do it that would be SUPER.)

You guys…it fit like a glove. It was ridiculous! My mom helped me do it up and we were both like "Seriously? Does it actually fit THIS well???" The dress is almost 60 years old and it looks amazing!!

It needs to be cleaned, the bust might need to be taken in just a bit plus it might need to be hemmed depending on shoes, and I think I'd like to change it from a straight strapless to a sweetheart neckline. There's a lace jacket that goes with it which I really don't like, but if the lace can be restored enough I might think about taking the jacket apart and using the lace to make an illusion neckline. 

YAY!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ask and you shall receive…(PIP)

• Oh my goodness! It's absolutely beautiful!
  • I love that dress! You look beautiful in it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Breathtaking! You look beautiful!
  • WOW! You look so beautiful in that dress! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks ladies! I am so happy and relieved…I've loved this dress for years and would've been really upset if it didn't fit. Still need to get it cleaned up and everything, but it's looking very likely that I can wear it.

@TwoDimes - It's my grandma's dress. I saw one of her wedding pictures a few years ago and just fell in love with it. My grandma passed away not long after that, and I like knowing that I'll have something of hers with me when I get married :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Beautiful! I love that it means so much to you :)

• How gorgeous! And it looks amazing on you! 

• That dress is 60 years old?!  It looks like some of the ones in the stores now!!!  It look really nice in it!

Anniversary
  • OMG that dress looks amazing on you!!! 
  • Love it!!!  You look gorgeous in it!
  • The dress looks great! So well preserved for 60 years and still so stylish! So happy for you!
    friends tv show funy
  • I love that dress! I can't believe its 60 years old though! It looks perfect on you.
    Anniversary

• Wow that dress is amazing and I agree that it is very on trend for today's styles.  I agree with @twodimes, I don't think you need to change a thing, it's beautiful on you as is!  Are you planning to wear a veil?  Maybe you can use some of the lace from the jacket as an edging on a veil?  It would be fun to try a small petticoat under to give it a touch of volume but not as much as the hoops.

• TwoDimes said:
    Thanks ladies! I am so happy and relieved…I've loved this dress for years and would've been really upset if it didn't fit. Still need to get it cleaned up and everything, but it's looking very likely that I can wear it.

@TwoDimes - It's my grandma's dress. I saw one of her wedding pictures a few years ago and just fell in love with it. My grandma passed away not long after that, and I like knowing that I'll have something of hers with me when I get married :)
    How special for you to be able to wear it and have something of hers with you when you are married. That's fantastic! And it's truly beautiful!

ETA - FWIW, I don't think it's necessary to make all the changes you mentioned. If you want an illusion neckline and whatnot, then that's your choice, but I think that dress is absolutely amazing as is. Just a good cleaning and some accessories (maybe a jeweled belt?) would update it quite a bit.
    Ditto this. I think it looks stunning just the way it is. It's like it was made for you!! Gorgeous!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• absolutely gorgeous, I love it!
  • I am so in love with your dress. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think it looks perfect!  Very beautiful.
  • What can I say, grandma was pretty stylin'! Thanks for all the love, I can't stop looking at the picture and smiling, I'm just so happy about it!

@TwoDimes @doubleSS07 @cu97tiger - Thanks for the input. I'm not committed to the illusion neckline, but I am leaning towards making it a slight sweetheart...I don't have a whole lot up top (charter member of the little boobs club) and I feel like that would give me a bit more shape. And I will probably get some sort of petticoat or crinoline or something to fill out the skirt a little bit ...just not as big as the Little Bo Peep hoops!

I have no idea about a veil; we couldn't find my grandma's and I'm really not sure what I want to do about that. My grandpa is fine with me taking the lace jacket apart, so I could easily use some of the lace to edge a veil or to wrap my bouquet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Gorgeous! I'm in LOVE with your dress! That's so special that you get to wear your grandmother's dress!

• Did you twirl when you had the hoops on? I know I would have ha.
  • This dress looks like it was made just for you! Gorgeous. And although it looks gorgeous as is, looking into a sweetheart neckline can't hurt. You'll have the opportunity to see if you like it before they actually alter it I'm sure. 

• SO SO SO GORGEOUS!!! I absolutely love it. <3

*******************************************************************************************

• Awww thanks so much guys, this is why I love this board!!!

@Ollie08 Yeah that's what I'm hoping, I'm sure any good seamstress can show me what it will look like before they go ahead and do it.

@buttercup1958 - Oh yes...I spent about 5 minutes twirling and swishing back and forth lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lmcooper86 those five minutes would be so worth it haha. You look great and I'm sure what ever you decide will look nice too.
  • Had my first day of work today, and no time for knotting! But OMG I love this dress!!!! 
  • @imcooper86 that is beautiful! and so special that it was your grandma's. I LOVE sweetheart necklines so I love your idea of changing the neckline. but it is beautiful as is also

• Beautiful! Amazing that your dress is that old and has such history.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm late to the party because I have been out of town, but I have to say that your dress is so amazingly stunning and the story of it and how beautiful it is makes it perfection!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards