Wedding Party

How much mismatching is "ok"?

My bridesmaids will be wearing mismatched black dresses. FI is in charge of groomsmen attire, but I can't imagine he'll make his friends do the matchy-matchy thing, either. Lately I've been liking pictures of mismatched bridesmaid bouquets like these: http://www.weddingwindow.com/blog/mismatched-bridesmaid-bouquets/. Is that too much mismatching, though? What do you think?

Re: How much mismatching is "ok"?

• I love mismatched bridesmaid dresses but not a fan of the bouquets at all. I think if they were at least in the same color family it would look a lot better though.

I think too matchy-matchy is boring and promy, but too mismatched looks like a Hodge podge of random stuff.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I agree, you do need to have something that flows when it comes to your bridal party.  I like the mismatched look of dresses, but you should have the bouquets pull everything together so that it looks nice.  They don't have to be identical, but they should be similar in color, or complimentary.  I've seen some brides assign a different color of the rainbow to their BMs, so that everyone wears white or black, but then has all red/blue/yellow accessories and flowers, etc.  They didn't match, but they had a theme that made them flow together.
  • I kind of like the ones in that link that are one color but a different type of flower for each bouquet (i.e. yellow roses, yellow lilies, and so on) The ones that are completely different just look odd to me.
  • I think you need some kind of cohesive element. I agree with Allie that the ones that are all at least the same color look fine, but like Angusaur said, all the different ones look too hodgepodgey. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Agree with PPs.  I like the examples where the flowers share the same color palette and bouquet shape - see the pink bouquets with the brown dresses and purple bouquets right below that.  Some of the others looks too thrown together.

If you want to do mismatched bouquets, I'd select at least one flower that will be in all of them in a fairly prominent way.
    Anniversary

• I have to admit I kind of like this look, especially with black dresses.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The different bouquets are sort of weird, IMO.  Maybe if they were all the same colour but different flower types:
  • I was just in a wedding where we had different dresses (they were different styles and different colours, but went together really well), we had the same bouquets to tie everything together.
  • AddieCake said:
    I think you need some kind of cohesive element. I agree with Allie that the ones that are all at least the same color look fine, but like Angusaur said, all the different ones look too hodgepodgey. 

I agree with this.  Pick a color scheme or a style element that's universal for everyone in the wedding party.  If you have that, everyone can choose everything else for themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards