Wedding Etiquette Forum

Providing Child Care for Childless Wedding

We have decided, for budgetary reasons, not to have children at the wedding other than those part of the actual wedding party (they are our children and 2 nieces).  I would like to provide child care for those that must bring their children due to not being able to find childcare.  Does anyone know where I should start looking? Everything is taking place in Sugar Land, Texas.  Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Providing Child Care for Childless Wedding

• Did you try the Houston board?  I'm sure they'd be able to handle this question a lot better.  

SaveSave
  • You may want to see if anyone is actually interested in the service. Some people may not be willing to leave their child with a stranger.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    You may want to see if anyone is actually interested in the service. Some people may not be willing to leave their child with a stranger.
    This. Could be easily wasted money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You should change your username, OP!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We have decided, for budgetary reasons, not to have children at the wedding other than those part of the actual wedding party (they are our children and 2 nieces).  I would like to provide child care for those that must bring their children due to not being able to find childcare.  Does anyone know where I should start looking? Everything is taking place in Sugar Land, Texas.  Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!
    wait...you're having a child free wedding but providing child care?  That doesn't make sense...Think of how it's going to feel when Couple A leaves their kids at home with a sitter, and when they get to the wedding they find out that Couple B has brought their kids and you have provided childcare.  Doesn't seem like equal ground...either it's child free or it's not.
  • LDay2014 said:
    We have decided, for budgetary reasons, not to have children at the wedding other than those part of the actual wedding party (they are our children and 2 nieces).  I would like to provide child care for those that must bring their children due to not being able to find childcare.  Does anyone know where I should start looking? Everything is taking place in Sugar Land, Texas.  Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated!
    wait...you're having a child free wedding but providing child care?  That doesn't make sense...Think of how it's going to feel when Couple A leaves their kids at home with a sitter, and when they get to the wedding they find out that Couple B has brought their kids and you have provided childcare.  Doesn't seem like equal ground...either it's child free or it's not.
    I don't think this is what she means.  I think she wants to research childcare to offer to all the guests. 

As long as all the guests know this is an option, they have the choice to either leave the kids at home with someone trusted, or bring them and use the childcare.  That sounds fine to me.

Sorry OP I am not in TX, but good luck on your local board.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• mysticl said:
    You may want to see if anyone is actually interested in the service. Some people may not be willing to leave their child with a stranger.
    I'd do this first, too.  Some people will want to screen their own sitter.  If people do express an interest and you have any local guests with kids, I'd get recommendations for them for sitters or sitter services before looking around. 

FWIW, we had on premise sitters and a room of dedicated kids activities at our reception.  Our goal was never to be child-free though, just to offer the kids an option if they got bored by the adult stuff.  What wound up happening was that the kids disappeared after they ate, came back for cupcakes, and generally moved between the kids' room and the reception for the night.  You may find that on-site sitting doesn't necessary keep your event kid-free so keep that in mind when making your decisions.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards