Wedding Etiquette Forum

Matching tux?

A matching tux discussion earlier got me thinking - is it weird to have the FOB and FOG match the groomsmen? My dad wants to wear a tux and felt that it would be easier if we just told him where to go and have something picked for him. FOG basically said the same thing. He wants to wear a tux, doesn't own one and would rather rent one. So yesterday we chose our groomsmen tuxes and decided to add the fathers to that. The only difference is the dads will wear ties while groomsmen get bow ties. Is that weird to have FOB and FOG wearing the same tux? Too much matching? Just curious. Was thinking maybe I can tell them that they can choose their own tie if they don't want to match because it doesn't matter to me what they wear.

Re: Matching tux?

• I don't think it's weird if it's what they want to wear. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto Addie.  If they've specifically asked to wear a tux, and want you to pick out what that will look like, there's no problem with that.  The key is that they asked you to do this for them, not that you are compelling them to do so.
    Anniversary

• NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I agree. If they're happy, you should be happy. 
  • I don't think it's weird, we did the same thing!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In my experience if one or both of the fathers is wearing a tux it's the same as what the men in the bridal party are wearing. Though they usually go with a black tie if the groomsmen's ties are matching the bridesmaids.  Not to mention when it comes to men no one sits there and goes "OMG he's wearing the same thing as so and so" the way we do with women.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dude, it's not like men get a hell of a lot of variation in formal wear. Let him wear a tux, nobody with an IQ above 5 will mistake him for a groomsman.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• A tuxedo is classic menswear.  They do not "match" anything.  Your FOB and FOG can wear tuxedos if they like (assuming your wedding is in the evening), and the tuxedos do not need to be the same tuxedos that your groomsmen are wearing.  Tuxedos are black.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

A tuxedo is classic menswear.  They do not "match" anything.  Your FOB and FOG can wear tuxedos if they like (assuming your wedding is in the evening), and the tuxedos do not need to be the same tuxedos that your groomsmen are wearing.  Tuxedos are black.

Not necessarily. We did gray and they are tuxedos and not suits.

• So your GMs are in gray? What about putting the FOB and FOG in black? That's what we are doing - we thought it set them apart in a good way, and they has previously told us they'd prefer black over gray. Just a thought! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am not a fan of tuxedos that are not black.  I think tcnoble has a good idea.  Classic black would look better on the Dads!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Most weddings I've been to, it looked like the Dads rented the same tuxes as the WP.  When we did our wedding, our tux guy reccomended we give the Dads a different vest/tie color, so we put them in platinum and the GM were in burgundy.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Just a gentle reminder that the wedding industry also promoted tuxedos that were powder blue, yellow, green, and tan polyester with ruffled shirts and bell bottom pants.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Just a gentle reminder that the wedding industry also promoted tuxedos that were powder blue, yellow, green, and tan polyester with ruffled shirts and bell bottom pants.

So what? Dresses go in and out of style too.
  • CMGragain said:

Uh.. And? Gray is a pretty standard and classic color. Black for our GM would be too dark with our colors in my opinion. I do like the idea of maybe having just the dads in black but my dad is thinking it may be really hot and its an outdoor ceremony. Looks like he will do gray. FOG can do whatever he chooses.
  • Why not just have the guys in grey suits?  Grey is a standard color for suits, not for tuxedos, which should be black.  They would be a lot more comfortable in a two piece suit, and you can buys a suit for about what the rental would cost.  Suits are more and more popular for weddings, and the guys can keep them!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Why not just have the guys in grey suits?  Grey is a standard color for suits, not for tuxedos, which should be black.  They would be a lot more comfortable in a two piece suit, and you can buys a suit for about what the rental would cost.  Suits are more and more popular for weddings, and the guys can keep them!

I guess I just don't see the point of putting them in suits. Guys can wear a suit to work. They can wear a tux to a formal event. Besides looking a bit more fitted it isn't that much different from a suit. It's not like we have them wearing tails and top hats.
  • Our dads are wearing the same tuxes as the GMs & Groom, but with different color ties & vests (to match our moms). We're fine with it - our wedding isn't super matchy-matchy anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards