Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Just had our tasting...

And the food is not good.  It's not terrible, but its not good.  We have already booked the venue (which includes the catering) and are well into planning so there's no backing out.  Any suggestions on how to make up for bad food?  The cake tasting was delicious so at least we know that will be good!

Re: Just had our tasting...

• Select something simple?  If they screwed up the demi glace/whatever on something fancy, maybe they'll do better with a simple menu?  And see if there are places to put something fried.  While I'm not usually a fan of fried food because of health and staying trim, it's pretty hard to mess up fried food.  So if there's a spot for a fried mac and cheese pearl as an appetizer, go for it.  Obviously not everything fried though.
  • Sorry to hear that; I agree with the simple stuff. Can you bring in outside caterers for like a special something afterwards as a late night snack?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Talk to your venue and tell them that you were unhappy with the food. Don't just accept bad food. Maybe see if you can talk to the head chef and explain what you didn't like about the food.  You are paying a lot for food and it should taste good.  As someone who has been to a lot of weddings, I remember the one's where the food was not so great.

• Talk to your venue and tell them that you were unhappy with the food. Don't just accept bad food. Maybe see if you can talk to the head chef and explain what you didn't like about the food.  You are paying a lot for food and it should taste good.  As someone who has been to a lot of weddings, I remember the one's where the food was not so great.
    I agree with this.  Be honest.  Let them know the food doesn't work for you.  Be specific - too bland, too much sauce, overcooked/undercooked - whatever.  Ask them to work with you and schedule another tasting around specific dishes. 

If that doesn't work, then I agree with PPs.  If you can't bring in another caterer, go simple.  If you are doing happy hour, load up on veggies, dips, cheese, crackers, fruit - things that don't require a ton of prep work.  Keep the entrees simple; you didn't say what was bad, so maybe a baked chicken with potato and roasted veg and a pasta dish?
    Anniversary

this.

Tell them you were disappointed and why.  Not all chefs are good sadly.   Other times they are good at different foods than the type of food that is being requested.   Sometimes it's just an off-day. 

I would demand another tasting to get to the bottom of this.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • And if they can't or won't fix the food, I'd eat the deposit and find a new venue.  Bad food is a pretty big deal.
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    THIS is my fear. Trying to pick a caterer right now and I'm hearing that a lot don't do tastings until after you've signed? That seems so crazy to me! Luckily my mother in law would freak out if the food were bad - I'd just sic her on them. :)

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • This is also my fear. I'm having a distant destination wedding and I will not be able to visit the venue. The food is being catered by a highly rated restaurant attached to the resort, but I am still worried. I love the suggests to speak with your venue coordinator about your disappointment with the tasting. I hope they can improve. Please report back if you speak up. Honestly, I have rarely been impressed with any wedding reception food, so perhaps I am biased in expecting that my venues food will not meet my expectations. 
  • Sorry to hear that! My honest advice would be to make sure there is good music and good drinks (hosted bar?) and no one will care about the food. I recently went to a destination wedding where the food was almost inedible it was so bad. But it meant that everyone ate pretty light and quick, drank a good amount, and we were all out on the dance floor all night. The reception was amazingly fun and when I look back on it, the bad food is the last thing on my mind.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Another thought too is to find a good spot for an after party and order a bunch of pizza for your guests. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• What was the menu?  I'm a pretty good home cook and catered in a previous life so I can probably tell you what is tripping them up (or if they're just a terrible chef) if you share the menu.  
  • Aw that sucks.  Most venues won't let you do tastings until after, which is why I looked at TONS of reviews of the caterer before signing.  I agree with PPs that you should be honest and ask to speak to the chef.  Then ask for another tasting. 

Definetely have a good cake and good bar.  Ask if you can bring in another caterer for cocktail hour- a lot of them will let you do this as long as the main meal is catered by them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards