Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rejection Email to Potential Vendors?

Is it appropriate, or more so inappropriate, to send a rejection email to vendors? I have contacted numerous photographers about pricing and the majority of them have been way over budget. For those who are $600+ over my estimated budget, I have responded with a "Thank you for your time but, although I like your work, you're not in my budget" email. Most of them have responded with an I understand. Some came back with a slightly less price to exclude specific items, which I didn't want to begin with, but were still over budget. I met with 4 photographers over the past 2 weeks. For the 3 that I'm not hiring, should I send them an email letting them know I have chosen to go with someone else? My wedding date is 5 months away, the Sat. after Thanksgiving, and I kind of want to let them know that I have decided not to go with them, in case they decide that they want to make plans to go out of town or might have another potential client contact them with that date (though I know it's not set in stone until a contract is signed). Would, or have, any of you done this with vendors you have met with?

Re: Rejection Email to Potential Vendors?

• Someone here said once they would appreciate it (they were a vendor). I think it depends. If you just inquired about prices, probably not. But if I have met with them, yes I would probably let them know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, I think it's a good idea
    I've had three situations:

A- after general inquiries the vendor followed up, to which I replied "we aren't interested, out of budget, etc"

B- shortly after meeting vendors contact me with "someone else wants to book the date we discussed, are you booking." And responded with the same 

C- if a week or so went by and I had chosen a different vendor or didn't schedule a meeting, I'd send a "thanks but no thanks or we have chosen a different vendor" email
  • Thank you for your input. I feel like I "owe" the ones I met with an email, at the least, that we aren't going to use them. I hate rejections letter, but at least I'm on the other side of it this time! :)

• I sent e-mails to vendors that we didn't want to work with. I also included why we chose someone else. You don't really have to do that, but as a former wedding vendor, I would always wonder why a customer chose someone else and I appreciated knowing. The real reasons I didn't choose the vendors that I met with were generally because they couldn't do something I wanted or didn't offer a service that I wanted. Knowing that may help them in the future.
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

If you want to, then go for it.  Vendors will appreciate it along with any of the feedback you can give them. 

I asked for a lot of quotes and didn't respond back to each email unless they followed up asking about the status of their quote. 

The venues that were "finalists" and didn't get chosen I emailed and thanked them for the information and tours but that we chose someone else.  I gave them reasons like we wanted a more intimate venue, etc. as feedback.

I view it like applying for a job.  If you sent in an application you might not expect to hear anything back.  If you made it as far as an interview then an email after saying you are not making it to the next step is appreciated more than no response at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards