Luxury Weddings

Dream Destination Wedding

Hi Knotties! 

I'm thinking of having a destination wedding in Bali - has anyone else had a wedding there, or are planning to have a wedding there?

We've not yet started on our planning, but I would really love to have my wedding at one of the beach front villas. I'd love to get ideas or comments about the wedding setup, decorations, wedding planners that you've heard about or had experiences with!

Re: Dream Destination Wedding

• I recommend posting this on the Destination Weddings chat board. I had a "luxury" DW in Australia, but this board is mostly focused on traditional luxury weddings.

• mandy78987 have you thought about Thailand?  Depending on where you live, it's probably easier to get to and just as beautiful.  I say this because I had my DW in Thailand and it was such a great experience.  Just a thought!  I love Bali but just speaking from experience Thailand was a dream! 

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @favouritecake, you seem to be pushing your wedding photos pretty hard. You are starting to smell like some kind of vendor.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @katwag not in the least. There aren't a lot of resources for more exotic DW's, even on the knot. As someone who had one that wasn't in Mexico or hawaii (which are more common so lots of resources there) I just want to share my experience. We considered so many locations and based a lot of what we did on tips and advice from other people. But even then I didn't have many places to turn. I'm just very passionate about travel and it excites me when other people have the mindset to do something different and are having a DW like we did. (This is not to say normal weddings are bad, love those just as much)
  • @katwag not in the least. There aren't a lot of resources for more exotic DW's, even on the knot. As someone who had one that wasn't in Mexico or hawaii (which are more common so lots of resources there) I just want to share my experience. We considered so many locations and based a lot of what we did on tips and advice from other people. But even then I didn't have many places to turn. I'm just very passionate about travel and it excites me when other people have the mindset to do something different and are having a DW like we did. (This is not to say normal weddings are bad, love those just as much)

FWIW, I do agree that TK is a shitty resource for exotic wedding destinations AND planning private weddings/elopements. I didn't use any of the tools on here. I did all of my own research. Of course, having been married before helped me a lot! :)

• Hi Mandy!
    I think Bali is a gorgeous place for a destination wedding. One of the best bit about getting married in Bali is that there are so many different kinds of wedding venues! You can do a beach wedding, a tropical garden wedding, a villa wedding, have a wedding in a resort or hotel…

If you are thinking of having your wedding in a beach-front villa, I would suggest that you look for one in the Southern tip of Bali (Uluwatu, Bukit Peninsula) as the seaside views are absolutely stunning. Otherwise, you could pick a villa in Canggu too - you get the best of both worlds, as some villas are facing the sea / beach, and are also surrounded by beautiful tropical rice paddies.
  • Weddingbalicom- My fiancee and I have been to the south of bali a couple of years back, and we loved the seaside places there. We think that our family and friends would love the place, if they join in for our wedding celebrations! 

How much does it cost to rent these villas for a wedding?
  • Call a travel agent.  They deal with wedding-related travel all the time.  S/he can probably point you to who you need to talk to.  Different countries have different marriage requirements, waiting periods, letters proving divorces are final/no impediments, etc.  You want to be sure you have a grasp on that before renting villas, etc.  Or, call the embassy/consulate closest to you and ask to be pointed in the right direction.  Embassies get the most random questions, they're used to it.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    1`.  Are you from the USA or Canada?  It takes more than 24 hours airtime EACH WAY to fly to Bali.
    2.  You need a Visa to visit Indonesia (That's where Bali is.)  Every one of your guests will need to get one.
    3.  Laws for marriage in Bali are complicated, but not insurmountable.  You must have a religious ceremony, you must declare that you are both of the same faith, and you need a letter from your consulate.
    http://www.weddingsatbalishangrila.com/wedding-requirements.htm

It sounds like a beautiful idea, but there are some very practical issues. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards