Catholic Weddings

Soloist at a Catholic Wedding

I'm having a Catholic wedding. My family is very musical and I want to have my brother sing a solo during the ceremony. I'm not having him as the Cantor I just want him to sing a solo. I'm having someone else cantor. Is there a spot after the vows that this can be done? I've read that sometimes a soloist sings during communion but I don't know if that's what I want.

Re: Soloist at a Catholic Wedding

• I have heard of a song after the vows, though I'm not sure about a soloist.  You'll really have to check with your church/music director for specifics on this one.  Personally though, I like it a lot better when the whole congregation is encouraged to participate by singing and worshiping along with the cantor/soloist.  Another possible spot might be after Communion or during a presentation to the Blessed Mother (or St. Joseph, like we're doing).

It is pretty easy in my experience to coordinate a cantor and a soloist together.  For my grandmother's funeral I sang Ave Maria after Communion, even though I didn't cantor the Mass.  

Another option might be before the Mass has started while people are sitting down?  Possi
    bly.  I've never heard of it before, but I think that would be nice if your church is ok with it.
  • Agree with the above.  It's not uncommon for there to be a soloist in weddings, but you definitely need to check with the music director to see what they think is the best time.  
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards