Chit Chat

#Hashtag

2»

Re: #Hashtag

• I think hashtags for weddings are fun but I wouldn't go into it with any expectations.  As a bride, I don't plan to make one either even though I love IG.   
    Other posters gave perfect advice- make sure it's unique but easy to remember. I'd also try to make it shorter, by the way.

I love wedding photos. I've seen a few hashtags for acquaintances come through my Facebook feed, so I went over to Instagram to pull up other photos.  I think it's a great way to get advance photos easily for people who choose to use those apps.   

• FYI, you can't use special characters like ampersands in Instagram hashtags. #bride&groom would get truncated to just #bride for the actual link in the caption. And if you try to search for #bride&groom, it won't even let you type the &. 

• #weddinghashtagsaredumb

that's my idea.
  • How do you look up a hash tag if its used?
    Fi and my name starts with C. We might do CSPartyof2

image   image   image

• How do you look up a hash tag if its used? Fi and my name starts with C. We might do CSPartyof2
    Just look it up under search on Instagram. It'll pop up with stuff or if it is nothing then it will let you know.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• @shrekspeare I love you. Every time you change your siggy I get a laugh. 

OP, while I don't use, like, or even understand the concept OF a hashtag, I think if you're going to use one, you should make it YOURS - not something the internet told you would be cute. SPend some time thinking about you and your FI, your common interests, or something theme-related (if you're having a themed wedding). IF we were to use a hashtag (FI would laugh in my face were I to suggest it) it would be something that integrated our likes - movies, HP, Dr. Who, books, gaming, etc - or a shared experience, rather than going with CaitTDidplusFI5eva or something generic.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think it's sad that my kids will now think '#' is hashtag, not number sign.
    I just don't get hashtags.

Seriously, you're just not that important that you have to have a devoted search just for you.  Seems kind of self indulgent to me.

If someone has a pic of my wedding they want to show me, then they can email it to me.
  • @LDay2014, a friend of mine is a professional musician and music teacher. A child once called a sharp a hashtag and she died a little inside.  ROFL. 

• @LDay2014, a friend of mine is a professional musician and music teacher. A child once called a sharp a hashtag and she died a little inside.  ROFL. 
    OhGodNO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I call into a lot of conference calls at work. 99% of them require you to put in a pass code and then hit the pound key. I was thinking the other day that the pre-recording telling you to do this will soon have to be changed to "enter your pass code followed by the hashtag key" just because no one will know what the pound key is anymore.

• pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Sad Confession. I only recently knew that # = hashtag. When I used to see hashtags I used to think it was #justintimberlake = "number justin timberlake" or sometimes "pound justin timberlake." I put 2 and 2 together when JT and Jimmy Fallon did that whole hashtag skit.

I don't understand all this internet lingo. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    LDay2014 said:
    I think it's sad that my kids will now think '#' is hashtag, not number sign.

Seriously, you're just not that important that you have to have a devoted search just for you.  Seems kind of self indulgent to me.

If someone has a pic of my wedding they want to show me, then they can email it to me.
    It's not about being self important- it's about a shared experience between guests. If you don't get that, fine- don't use a hashtag. But to insult others for doing something different than you is just beyond rude.
  • To answer the original question ktjacobs3 yes we will absolutely have a hashtag. 70% of my guests are social media experts of some kind so my event will be plugged in. I agree with the previous posted who said that a hashtag helps you find all your pictures across the social media board. Our probably won't be cute though, just our last name and event name. 

I have a friend who is getting married soon that has asked us all to download some weird app and send all of our pictures from all the events to this app and none of us are doing it. It's confusing and doesn't work right. I feel bad for her and we've all voiced our concerns to deaf ears. 

So a hashtag is the way to go. I certainly don't expect to trend, it's more just to be able to find things later, especially funny candids of the guests where the photographer was not concentrating or simple comments that were made. It's seems really special and a nice gift to give ourselves the next day to just sit and look at everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LDay2014 said:

Yeah that was inappropriate. As the above poster said, it's not about being "important" it's about having a special tie to the guests at the event. And if someone was not able to attend they can check out the hashtag as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LDay2014 said:

I read/watched something the other day where the kid found an old phone and commented on how it had a hashtag on it, but how, since hashtags weren't invented back then? ::face palm::
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I call into a lot of conference calls at work. 99% of them require you to put in a pass code and then hit the pound key. I was thinking the other day that the pre-recording telling you to do this will soon have to be changed to "enter your pass code followed by the hashtag key" just because no one will know what the pound key is anymore.
    I have heard this! I don't remember which automated system it was, but it said "press the pound or hash symbol." Wah.

I have heard this! I don't remember which automated system it was, but it said "press the pound or hash symbol." Wah.
    I remember that too, and if memory serves me, it was mostly when I was calling clients in the UK.  And this was several years before Twitter.
  • I think we will do a hashtag. #Mylasthislast14 probably. Nothing super unique.

I dont know what it says about me but I spent an entire afternoon creeping on a bunch of stranger's wedding hashtags on Instagram recently so...

• SBmini said:
    LDay2014 said:

It's not about being self important- it's about a shared experience between guests. If you don't get that, fine- don't use a hashtag. But to insult others for doing something different than you is just beyond rude.
    They were at the wedding...what more of a shared experience do you want????
    All this does is prolong you being the centre of attention.
  • LDay2014 said:
    SBmini said:
    LDay2014 said:

They are helpful for seeing pictures from acquaintances' weddings to which I wasn't invited. Or if I'm a guest, seeing pictures other guests posted. How is it being an AW just to create a way by which people can easily share pictures with each other? Nobody's forcing you to use it or to look at the pictures, or forcing the pictures to even be of the bride and groom. But if anyone wants to share and see all the pictures people took of each other at whatever event, here you go.

• LDay2014 said:

SBmini said:

LDay2014 said:

You really seem to hate this concept. It hurts no one. I don't understand the strong feelings

• I don't hate the concept. It's just stupid. Hashtags in general are stupid but especially for weddings.

For the person saying it's so you can see weddings of acquaintances...that's kind of awkward. If they wanted to share the photos with you they would.

Maybe I'm just too old school and would rather actually talk to the people whom I'm sharing my wedding with and go visit and have coffee instead of impersonal Internet mass file sharing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards