Registry and Gift Forum

How did I do?

FI & I registered at BBB & C&B this month. We tried to register for everything between $5 - $300. Most of the "bigger ticket items" are at BBB where guests can use 20% off coupons. Most items fall within the $50 range. We did register for a new dresser at C&B so we can use wedding money/completion discount to buy it. In total we registered for 88 items. We have 60 wedding invitations going out & 30 bridal shower invites going out. Do you think I registered for enough or should I try & add more or wait & see when it gets closer to my shower (which is in June). 
Photobucket

Re: How did I do?

• i would definitely register for more. All of my wedding books say you should register for twice as many gifts as you have guests. But you can keep updating it as time comes closer, just make sure you keep gifts at all price points...but it sounds like your doing that already! =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can probably wait until closer to your shower, but if your friends and family tend to give non-cash gifts for weddings, you might want to register for more.
  • It depends on your guests.  In some circles, most people give cash for the wedding itself and gifts for the shower.  If that's the case, you probably registered for enough.  If your crowd tends to give boxed gifts for the wedding, you will probably need to add more items to your registry eventually.  No need to do it right now, though.  You can keep an eye on how many items have been purchased and register for more if the registry or a particular price point runs low.
  • That sounds like a pretty good amount, I wouldn't add more items if you're going to end up with 20 specialty appliances you'll never use.  If you skipped over anything you really wanted to add, you could go back and add that, especially if either store let's you come in and buy the items at a discount in the few months after your wedding.
    According to Target's statistics about my list according to my wedding size, I have 50 too few items and too many in one price range ($11-$30 or so, nothing high-price).  I don't see the point of registering for 50 more items when we've already added everything we need/want.
  • I would keep an eye on it as you get closer to your shower, just cause you might need to add more items, but I think that's a good start. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Macy's suggests that you have 2 items per each guest invited. You might want to add more. You could up the quantity of some items you registered for like towels or things you know that you can always use extras. Also put on some nice vases or candlesticks. I've been told that some people will buy these types of items anyways and if you don't have it on your registry then they will pick out what they like for you.
  • I agree you should add more. It's better to have too many things on your registry then too few and have people picking out thinks you might like. 
  • Right now our registries only have things we really want/need. We'd like to hold off & see if lots of things get purchased, if so we will add more, but right now there is nothing on there that we wouldn't be extremely happy to have in our home. 

@kristenanddan -- Yes, I am in NJ & typically you get cash for the wedding, but we are inviting a fair amount of friends in the 20s who may feel more comfortable buying a physical gift. 
    Photobucket
  • I think they say the rule is double your guest list. That way people have choices - even the last minute shoppers!
  • I've also heard the "double your guest list rule"...

And I am WAY behind!  But with 5 months to go, we're updating, adding, and removing items all the time.
  • I also heard the "double your guest" rule for registering. We did that no problem, but we have a lot of little things on our registries. Like you, we registered for lots of small things but several big ticket items as well most of which are at BBB so guests can use those 20% off coupons. I would suggest registering for more especially if your guests are more apt to bring a gift to the wedding then to give cash. If cash is a typical gift in your circle for the wedding, then you may be ok with the amount on your registry for the shower, but you should try to find a few more things to throw on there. GL and HTH!
  • as far as your registry goes i think i agree with most of the others and would look at it as you get closer to the wedding (and parties/showers), if you only have a few things left add some more. something  to consider: if you don't have alot on your registry to choose from people are more likely to get something you will have to return or that sits in the back of your cabinets for years.... also keep in mind that not everyone is going to get you something off your registry. this could be good and it could be bad. one of my fav gifts i got wasn't on my registry. (then again the ugly dishes i got weren't etiher) most of all enjoy this time because it is SO much FUN!!!!
    sam
    phil3:14
  • Another thing to think about - if you own or are planning on buying a house in the near future, register for some basic tools and gift cards from Home Depot or Lowes. It's a good way to pad your registry, and if you become a home owner you'll definitely use those gifts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Even though I have heard the rule of double your guests I think you are safe waiting until after your shower.  This way for your shower you know you will get either cash or items that you really want.  After your shower if you got way more boxed items than you expected you can go back and update your registry. 
    Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • Uh-oh...I only have 30 gifts on my registry.  I never heard of the double the guest list rule.  I might be in trouble here.  I have about 150 coming!  I just can't think of what else we need, we've been living in our house for a few years now.  Guess i could use a new towel set LOL!
  • Not bad, but I would suggest adding another store.  I'm all about the 2x the amount of guests invited rule.  But true, some of the things I registered for were like a $5 potato peeler, so I am assuming some people might buy more than 1 thing.  I have already gotten towels for example, and I registered for 2 bath, hand, and washcloths.  Someone has already given us the entire set, so that is 6 off the registry right there! 
    People like choices, and your store is great, but I would add another one in case people don't have one located near them.  Bed Bath and Beyond has EVERYTHING.  Target and Macys are also good.
  • Oops!  I meant "storeS".  I see you registered at 2.  I am from a small town that doesn't have either of those, but currently live in Richmond that has both.  I guess it depends on where you live.  But I know the older people in my family are not very comfortable with ordering off the internet! :)
  • If you are upgrading-  check for charities in your town/city that will accept used cookware/dishes/appliances/etc.    We are donating all of our old (but still good-  most were hand me downs to begin with) houseware items to a place called Joseph's Home in Cleveland-   it's kind of a halfway house for homeless men after they've been in the hospital.  When the men are well enough to move on, they help set up apartments for them (and gladly accept all sorts of housewares). 

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards