Registry and Gift Forum

How long in advance do you make a registry?

Hello!
How long in advance do you start creating your registry? What should we put? Any ideas for stores that have some decent priced stuff? (I don't really shop at Bed, Bath and Beyond.) I was thinking maybe Target, Kohls, JCP or Macys? How many stores have you registered at? Thank You!
Best Wishes! 
Justine

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How long in advance do you make a registry?

• We did Target and JCP. Originally we registered at BBB instead of JCP but then we realized we don't actually shop at BBB, so we switched to JCP because we figure even if we have to return stuff, we can use the store credit for clothes or something else that is otherwise useful. We also have a small registry on Amazon but I don't really believe anyone will purchase from Amazon - I think it'll wind up being a guideline thing, and people might pick out similar items directly from a store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How long in advance did you make your registry?
    Best Wishes! 
    Justine

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Timing in retail can be tricky.  You don't want to register so far in advance that some of your items become unavailable because a store changed stock.  I think a reasonable time is 6 months prior to the wedding.  Some summer/fall brides may begin a small or limited registry the winter prior to their wedding.  We have had brides on here say family often want to gift them registry items for Christmas.  If you register earlier than 6 months, just be sure to monitor your registry for discontinued items.
  • We had a long engagement (about 2 years) and my fiancé wanted no part of registering so it was all up to me. At around the 1 year mark I started creating registries online at Macys and BBB. I slowly tackled the list and I am still always editing the list. If something pops up in my head I will add it. I also check it regularly to make sure things aren't discontinued. 

So if you want to get a head start by all means do it. It is a whole lot easier to tackle it in small chunks, but you HAVE TO keep up on it and make sure things don't get discontinued. 

• We registered about six months before the wedding. What you register for and where is totally up to you and your style. We registered at Crate and Barrel, mostly for dishes and serving pieces because we entertain a lot. We already have cookware and appliances that we love, so we skipped that stuff.
  • edited July 2014
    We registered in I think February for our September wedding. Nobody shopped off them except my dad until shower invitations went out in late June (our showers were 7/13 and 7/19). It was nice to have a little extra time to work on them though, because we changed our minds from some of the things we initially had on there. We did have a few instances of things getting discontinued, but the latest of those was only 3 weeks ago so that can be a problem any time. 

We registered at Target (everyday essentials), Macy's (nicer home goods; fine china) and Williams-Sonoma (high-end kitchen - knives, bakeware, coffee pot; we cook and entertain A LOT). The Macy's registry was the most popular, with 75 of 91 gifts purchased. (Target was 46/78,and WS 20/36.) All of the gift cards we got were to Target though, which is awesome because we shop there a lot anyway so they'll come in handy even if the registries get bought completely out by the wedding. 

• Thanks everyone! We are getting married next June and I have looked at some registries just to whats what but I like the idea of starting in small chunks around December!
    Best Wishes! 
    Justine

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We just did Macy's.  You can register whenever you want.  But I would register no less than 6 months before the wedding.  You can register literally whatever you want or need there is no limit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd suggest anywhere from a year to six months from the wedding. 
  • We registered at Target about a month before. That's kind of late, but I was just not enthusiastic about doing it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards