Wedding Woes

Can't find a camo wedding dress at at store!

I live in central illinois (champaign) and want to go to a store to try on a camo wedding dress and can NOT find one. I dont want to order online i want to be able to try it on, any ideas of where i can go that is close???????

Best Answer

Answers

• I live in central illinois (champaign) and want to go to a store to try on a camo wedding dress and can NOT find one. I dont want to order online i want to be able to try it on, any ideas of where i can go that is close???????
    First off, you'll probably need to post this on your local board, since we're a national board and probably don't know wedding shops in Champaign.  Secondly, why don't you share some pictures of what you're looking for and maybe we can google for you?
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I vote for buying a dress and figuring out how to dye/paint it cammo.

ooh ooh, can you book the location and make location specific cammo?
    http://visualfunhouse.com/body_paint/camouflage-suits-optical-illusions.html
    I live in central illinois (champaign) and want to go to a store to try on a camo wedding dress and can NOT find one. I dont want to order online i want to be able to try it on, any ideas of where i can go that is close???????

• lmao i did not ask for any opinions, I AM wearing camp at my wedding and if you don't like it you can fuck off, camo actually looks great on me. I asked for people to help, not be assholes. Funny it's easy to be a dick online. And there are actual camo wedding dresses bitch so fuck you both.
  • JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Finding a camo wedding dress to try on in-store is going to be difficult because it is not most people's tastes and so its not worth it for a boutique to dedicate the storage space for it.  A smaller boutique that designs and makes their own dresses might have a dress in a different color that they can have you try on and then they can make the dress in a camp fabric using that pattern.

You will probably end up needing to get this dress customized for you, as in finding someone who can either make it from scratch or make it based of an existing pattern of a non-camo dress you like.  Another option is to contact a few of the online sellers and see if they have locations or vendors where you can try them on.  There are also tons of online options so you can always take the risk, buy a dress and then find a good tailor who can fix any issues you have.  In this case, I would suggest buying a bit larger than you need so that it can be taken in where needed. 

Another option is to go to a regular wedding dress shop and buy a regular wedding dress and then accessories with camo which will be a bit more subtle but will still have the same overall feel.  You could buy a corset back dress and re-lace with camo fabric, wrap camo around your bouquet, and wear camo shoes.  Or even choose a dress that needs a sash and then make a camo sash yourself. 

And I know you don't want opinions, and that there are worse things than looking back at your photos and cringing at fashion choices you made, and that you know your life and no one here does, but when you post on a website you are opening yourself up for opinions, asked for or not.  The posters on the knot tend to be brutally honest.  I would suggest not biting back too hard at them because their opinions are valid, even if not solicited, and that most people view a post on the internet as an implied invitation for opinions anyway.  
  • Try on regular wedding dresses until you find one you like, snap shot it, and then *gulp* take to seamstress to have copied in camo.

Seriously though, a wedding dress in camo is going to be terrible.  First of, you won't be able to have any embellishments on it b/c it's going to make the dress look even more busy crazy than it already will.  You might be able to do some interesting things with the fabric itself (draping, etc), but most of that will be lost b/c again, the fabric is camo, the intention is to blend in.  So, realistically thinking about this, just go to a fabric store and find a simple wedding dress pattern (that'll probably just be an A-line with a big skirt or a slim fit), get your fabric and take it to a seamstress, b/c that's all that's really going to work.  And it's still going to look crazy, those dresses (even if I didn't giggle at them) wear the bride, not the other way around.

Why don't you just do accents with a belt, jacket, shoes, cumberbands, ties/bowties, cake, decorations,etc?
  • I'm from an area where camo dresses are becoming a thing. Each of those girls went to a fabric store to purchase the camo fabric and took it to a seamstress to have it handmade.   You can also google "camo dresses" and there's lot of options.
  • Thanks for the people that are actually helpful. My dress isn't going to be full camo people, just have some camo worked into it, they actually look pretty nice, I was not at all "pissy" that they don't offer one, i came to a website about planning a wedding to ask people for ideas, because i have called several places. If you can't help, or this isn't what you would wear for your wedding great, but guess what? this isn't your wedding it's mine, so Im gonna wear whatever the hell  i want. Notice i did not get "pissy" until other people decided to be dicks and tell me their opinion about a camo dress instead of offering help about where to get one. This website and these boards are supposed to be to help people, not be assholes who tell other people that their ideas are stupid
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    lmao i did not ask for any opinions, I AM wearing camp at my wedding and if you don't like it you can fuck off, camo actually looks great on me. I asked for people to help, not be assholes. Funny it's easy to be a dick online. And there are actual camo wedding dresses bitch so fuck you both.
    I mean the ladies shouldn't have made those comments, but you took it wayyyy beyond what it needed to be. I'm going to tell you a secret. Ignore haters, and rock your camo. Responding only makes you look like you are on their level. You are allowed to wear anything you want. Stay classy, though. Ignore people who make fun of it.

You might have to find camo dresses online. I live in a pretty hunting-friendly place and I never saw a camo-anything in a store. 

For everyone else who is trying to "help" her make a good choice on a dress, she will come to us when she wants our opinion on how it looks. Otherwise, play nice. Personally, I think camo isn't the best thing for a wedding. But that wasn't the question she asked, was it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Is your other name emily kate?
  • Just think long and hard about this decision. Because when your 75 and looking at your wedding pictures, do you want a camo dress or would you rather be a little more timeless.

Do what you want, but on the public internet (and in real life) people are allowed their judgements and can share them if they want. 
  • *Barbie* said:

@amandafraz
    maybe you should ask Honey Boo Boo's mom... 

It's camo AND Vols orange!!!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  •  
    @amandafraz

AND UofI's colors are blue and orange.  :D 
  • literally the first search result from google is "camoformal.com", yo. you can buy camo dresses, separates, successories, etc.
  • do you watch tlcs here comes hoony boo boo? mama june had a commitment ceremony to sugar bear and she had a full on camo wedding gown i would contact tlc and find out where she got her dress from

• do you watch tlcs here comes hoony boo boo? mama june had a commitment ceremony to sugar bear and she had a full on camo wedding gown i would contact tlc and find out where she got her dress from

*looks up* ...beat you to it. 
    I know when I think of the term "role model," Honey Boo Boo's mom is the first person that comes to mind.
  • hmonkey said:
    literally the first search result from google is "camoformal.com", yo. you can buy camo dresses, separates, successories, etc.
    I grew up in area that is currently supporting the camo wedding trend.  Camo tux and sash display when I went with my sister to pick up her dress.  It's not my cup of tea but the Natalie and Crystal dresses on that website are pretty typical and not altogether different front other dresses that have had color worked into them.  All in all, there are some pretty traditional offerings there.

OP, if camo is what you want to rock on your wedding day, go for it but do prepare yourself for more people thinking its odd/not wedding appropriate/something you'll regret.  Learn to shrug people off without it getting to you.
    Anniversary

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    >
    @amandafraz

• MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    For something this unique, OP, you might be stuck travelling pretty far to try something on or having it made to order. 

Camo aside (so not for me) I'm not a big fan of fads because wedding photos are what people look back on, what your kids and grandkids and great grandkids look back on, and I don't want to look dated. I want the kids who never met me to find my wedding pictures and think I am beautiful and classy in my day and in theirs. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2014
    one upside to a camo dress -- i guess you could wear it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards