May 2015 Weddings

Does anyone else feel behind?

I know the anxiety and excitement is just getting to me, but I feel behind already even 16 months out! Looking at the venue's website doesn't help at all, considering almost every saturday for next year is already gone except for July and November. Luckily I'm going with a Sunday for $$$ reasons and because I LOVE this venue, but still - it makes me feel a little overwhelmed. I've literally done nothing yet. I have a budget and guest list, yes, but booked or bought anything? Not so much.

Well, that's not true. I did buy a few materials to start playing with centerpiece ideas from Michaels (gotta love that 40% off coupon) but I don't have anything else really accomplished. Luckily I will be booking both the venue and photographer (and hopefully the caterer)  in the next 4 weeks but I don't think I will be able to sigh that first sigh of "it's really happening" relief until I do.

Do you have anything booked or bought yet?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Does anyone else feel behind?

• I've got the dress and the venue. We're meeting with a DJ this weekend. We weren't even going to look at DJs until spring, but we stumbled upon the perfect one and didn't want him to get scooped up!

You're definitely not behind!
  • We have our venue.  That's it.  We are going to figure out our photographer sometime within the next couple of weeks and DJ pretty soon after that.

You are not behind!  Lots of ladies who will be getting married the same month as us aren't even engaged yet!  16 months is so much time!  Although I wish it would go faster...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I do..... I thought I was going to be able to put my first deposit down on my venue yesterday. I went to visit the location about two weeks and I didn't have my FH with me because he works crazy hours and I wanted to make sure I liked it first. While there I was told they the would be updating the venue (I was okay with that). I went back yesterday and basically everything has changed. The rate for Saturday increased by $25+. I may have to go with a Friday now because I really like the venue. I'm also thinking I may need to start looking at venues again since the price increased and they will no longer included the center pieces or give the credit for not using their center pieces.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have my dress and venue.  Luckily for me, the venue is an all inclusive package that includes DJ/MC, the cake, and the florist. So I just need to find the photographer.  These 16 months will fly by though! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just got my dress yesterday and felt like I was way too early in getting it.  I feel a little better seeing that others have done the same.  I just knew I wouldnt find anything else I loved as much.
  • Ella317 said:
    I just got my dress yesterday and felt like I was way too early in getting it.  I feel a little better seeing that others have done the same.  I just knew I wouldnt find anything else I loved as much.
    Yay so happy for you!  Pics?  We love wedding dresses on here :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ella317 said:
    I just got my dress yesterday and felt like I was way too early in getting it.  I feel a little better seeing that others have done the same.  I just knew I wouldnt find anything else I loved as much.
    I got mine in September. I fell in love and there was NO way I was going to risk it being discontinued. 
  • Angusaur I'm with you we set a date for April 2015 and I haven't gotten anything done. We set the budget started the guest list. I've talked to a few people about venues and etc. But I'm so excited I don't really know where to begin.We came up w other stuff like the wedding party and order to go down the aisle. But nothing major. We've picked out nothing and have purchased nothing and I'm afraid that the day is going to sneak up on me and still I'll have nothing done.

• Ella317 said:
    It is actually a MOTB dress.  (How old did I feel when I learned that???)
    It is from Alfred Angelo

• Ella317 said:
    It is from Alfred Angelo

• Ella317 said:

Ella317 said:
    It is from Alfred Angelo

Beautiful!  And there's nothing wrong with wearing a non "bride" wedding dress.  I think it totally looks like a wedding dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I feel so far behind already! I have nothing done except I have done lots of research mostly on prices. I have researched venues, photographers, florists and bakeries. This weekend I'm going to make a planner and try and sit down and start my guest list and figure out the budget for the wedding.
  • Hey ladies...... im so impressed with u ladies.... dri have nothing..... Waiting for confirmation that my date 5/2/15 is available at the hotel is torture....We are doing destination in Jamaica..... How did you guys come up with budget?? Im all over the place.... pretty much winging it. Lol
  • @Starshaj24 our budget was formed based on the assumption that we are paying for it all by ourselves. Both of our parents have offered to help with the cost,  but we had already had the venue selected before then.  We were being reasonable with what we could actually afford without royally screwing ourselves over.  We also set up a savings plan, so X amount of money would go into our savings monthly up until mid April, when the balance of the venue is due
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel a tad behind or maybe moreso anxious to go ahead and book the venue. We know what venue and what photographerr we want which i think is crucial because with so many ladies getting engaged May will be booked up for the good places before we know it (even thought it is a year and a half away). Once we do that I think I can relax a bit and work on losing some of this chunkiness before I look into a wedding dress.
  • We're putting our deposit down this weekend on our venue and that includes dj, catering, photo booth, and all that jazz, so I feel like suddenly I have a lot accomplished. Plus we know who we're getting the cake from because we met at an awesome bakery in our area so naturally they will be doing our cake. Aside from that though we have nothing else decided. The hardest part will be getting started on the many DIY projects I have planned in enough time to get them done well. 
  • I live in DC where everything is super expensive and books up away ahead of time.  So, I've booked and researched a good amount of stuff ahead.  We already have our wedding planner, DJ, venue, and photographer.  I've also talked to caterer's to get an idea on pricing and to hair and make-up artists.  That being said a lot of people have told me that time wise I am in great shape.  So, I wouldn't worry too much.  I have friends that are actually getting married in a few months and I've done more prep for our 2015 wedding then they have done for theirs. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Starshaj24- For our budget we figured out how much we could comfortably save each month and then we calculated that amount until May next year. We also are not counting on any contributions from our families and I highly doubt that we'll get any either.

@Megusler- I am planning on doing a lot of DIY projects for my wedding too.
  • I have my church, hall, DJ, cake, photographer all booked. I have my centerpieces planned and priced. Just got to buy a little with each paycheck. I need to get flowers, invites, a dress yet.

My only problem now is the boredom of waiting a year!

I got engaged 1/26/14 and thought I was on the ball looking at halls right away, but even I got turned away a year and a half ahead of time from a venue who already booked. Luckily, I had already booked a tour with a venue that I went to see and LOVED. I just feel like I'm fiddling my thumbs now and going over my budget and checklist constantly.
  • Being nearly a year away right now I absolutelyfeel behind! Probably because I am though... We JUST set our date for May next year, and while we have our venue and caterer holding the date, we haven't signed any contracts yet. I have only just started looking at gowns and won't even be able to purchase until the summer. Won't really have a full idea on budget (and therefor how many people to invite) until then. I'm a teacher and while we have some money saved, we're waiting until we get our new contracts (fingers crossed for the summer) to see how much extra I have to put into the wedding fund based off that. I know I will be scrounging around this summer playing catch up!
  • I feel like I am behind on everything too. Because of money I can't purchase anything until June of this year but I have everything all planned out. It just sucks to have everything decided on but not be able to get anything. It really takes some of the fun out. I already have my dress picked out as well as the photographer, caterer, cake, venue and reception site. I also know what kind of flowers I want. I just can't move forward with everything until June.
  • Yes! We spent two months venue hunting (our wedding is a destination wedding, so it wasn't like we could just drive around over the weekend and find a place). We just found a place, so we are now negotiating the contract and setting the date (5/30/15 - yay!). I can't wait for everything to be signed and finalized so I can move onto fun stuff - cake, dress, etc. I have been doing some research on photography, so I have some ideas of who I'd like to use there, but nothing else is close to being signed yet (except for our wedding planner). I am also gonna try to work on our wedding website this weekend, so we can get Save The Dates out sooner rather than later (it being destination and all). Yikes - so much to do! 
  • Yes! We spent two months venue hunting (our wedding is a destination wedding, so it wasn't like we could just drive around over the weekend and find a place). We just found a place, so we are now negotiating the contract and setting the date (5/30/15 - yay!). I can't wait for everything to be signed and finalized so I can move onto fun stuff - cake, dress, etc. I have been doing some research on photography, so I have some ideas of who I'd like to use there, but nothing else is close to being signed yet (except for our wedding planner). I am also gonna try to work on our wedding website this weekend, so we can get Save The Dates out sooner rather than later (it being destination and all). Yikes - so much to do! 
    @Springbride216 I feel you! Destination wedding sounds exciting, where are you having it? I was raised in Maryland, where I'd say 75% of guest list lives. I now live 4 hours away from Baltimore into Pennsylvania close to other family, where the other 25% live.

The wedding is kind of a compromise point in MD, 1 hour from my baltimore guests and 2.5 hours from my PA guests. I decided I'll send my save the dates in August. Normally you'd do 6 months out but 9 months would make me more comfortable, with several people needing to travel. And it's a sunday wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't feel behind until I read this thread?

Most of the venues in my area don't allow booking until 1 year out and we have a short list of places we want to hold it at. Most likely will hold at the primary choice, but want to make sure. Still need to get the actual announcement out of the way first!
  • @ohheyliana I definitely think it depends on where you live. I live in rural PA and could probably get away with booking the best vendors even 6 months out. But, I'm getting married in Maryland, where everything is super in demand. My venue is already completely booked up for May of next year, (Every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and even Memorial Day Monday) so I'm glad we got our date while we could. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting married on May 16, 2015 and nearly every vendor we spoke to had at least one other inquiry for that date!  Not sure why it is such a popular date?  We chose it because, ideally, I wanted May 9 but did not want our wedding to be during Mother's Day weekend.  We have all but our cake and invites chosen and deposits paid.  We were told time and time again by vendors, "Do not wait to book.  Your date is super popular."  We've been engaged since June 2014 so we've had more than enough time to look around and plan.  We're looking forward to a nice and relaxing summer... and maybe buying a home!
  • emilya918, were date twins! and i had the same problem.. the two venues that i wanted were already booked for may 16th and that was months ago! thankfully one of FI's family memebers has allowed us to use their home (which is nicer than one of the venues i wanted..so that works lol)
  • That's why we decided on May 12th, which is a Tuesday.  I didn't want the stress of picking a date only to have our preferred vendors taken or feel pressured to choose RIGHT NOW.  Luckily we're having a very small wedding and a weekday will work for everyone. 
  • We got engaged just over 3 weeks ago and I already have the venue booked, and just ordered our save the dates (not sending them out yet but I had a lot of vistaprint coupons!)  I am going to a few bridal expos this week to check out some vendors then will make appointments next week and hopefully book everything in the next few weeks. I feel like I am so far behind since our 5/29/15 date is only 10 months away and we just started!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards