September 2014 Weddings

(Sigh)....Now what do I do?

Here we are...7 weeks until the wedding. We are getting married on a beach that just so happens to also have a small restaurant off of it. The restaurant is also ran by the venue. My wedding is scheduled for 6pm, dinner is at 7, cake cutting at 8, dancing from 8-10pm.
I was just informed "The DJ will have to stop playing at 8:30pm because we will have a live band on the restaurant's deck that begins then. Wait...WHAT?! 

Then-- they tell me I can't do my sparkler send off at 10pm (even though I was previously told it wouldn't be an issue) because it could be a fire hazard. Really? They are sparklers. We planned to have guests dispose of the used sparklers in a bucket full of water when finished, and I spent good money on the extra long 80 second sparklers and on the sparkler tags (that have our names and wedding date on it) and on the custom mason jars I made for each table to hold the sparklers. 

What am I going to do?!? I can't have dancing from 8pm-8:30pm and then stop.
I also can't believe a sparkler is that big of a fire hazzard. It's a beach. There are no trees or branches, and they are raking the beach prior to to clear it, so there are really no chances of any issues. I just...am beside myself.

Signed, 
Stressed & Depressed Bride
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: (Sigh)....Now what do I do?

• KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Pore over your contract to see if there is ANYTHING you can use to get them to comply. Look at every email or exchange you have had with them. Find anything you can to show that these were previously agreed upon terms. Good luck!
  • Thank you, kasmith! I will. 
    The contract was really vague. Nothing in there about any of that, so that could be used against them since they a) never told me and b) it's not in writing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh WTF! I am really sorry to hear that. Sparklers actually are a fire hazard...I just read an article with Blake Lively (famous actress) who said the front of her dress got a giant burnt spot on it from a sparkler. But find out if they are legal in your state. They are considered "fireworks" and are therefor illegal in my state so make sure that is not the issue. I have no idea what to do about the DJ...Are the they in an area where you will hear the band or the band area will hear the DJ? If not, I don't see why they can't have both.

• I am so sorry! I'm saying this a bit tongue-in-cheek but half seriously: if there's going to be a band at the restaurant, tell them you will drag all your guests over there to dance to that band if they do not allow you to have your DJ. It boggles my mind this wouldn't have come up before you signed the contract.

• After a conference call and a long discussion, the wedding planner at the venue advised me the restaurant band will be moved indoors until our wedding is over. That is the way it should have been anyway. If you are running a venue, and someone shells out X amount of dollars for a nice outdoor beach wedding, then you DON'T have a band at the same time.

As far as the sparklers go-- they are seeing what they can do. They might just have me sign a waiver that if anything happens to the guests or any of their beach (fire wise), I will be held accountable. 

UGH...my head hurts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sparklers are definitely a fire and burn hazard. I honestly hate that they've become "a thing" because I they're really dangerous.

• @lolo883- I actually liked sparklers before they were trendy to have at weddings. I am almost a 4th of July baby, so I really love them. Plus-- sparklers on the beach are a really pretty sight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @lolo883- I actually liked sparklers before they were trendy to have at weddings. I am almost a 4th of July baby, so I really love them. Plus-- sparklers on the beach are a really pretty sight.
    I get that, but they've always been dangerous. I dislike them because they're scary, not because they're trendy. The trend just puts more people in danger.

I can understand the venue not allowing them because they're liable if anyone gets hurt. Even if you had some kind of a waiver, it's not great PR for their restaurant patrons to see someone catch on fire or get horribly burned or have an ambulance pull up.

• Glad the band thing is figured out! As for sparklers, I am terrified of them and hate them. Definitely wouldn't be interested in lighting one in a nice outfit either
  • I am in San Diego, and my photographer informed us a lot of venues in our area don't allow sparklers so we are using the long glow sticks you can use to make necklaces and have our guests woosh them around for lack of a better explanation.  haha! 
  • GLOW STICKS!!! They are fun and colorful and safe! :)
  • UPDATE: After speaking with the venue, they had me sign a waiver saying if anything happens, we are held accountable. My wedding party is going to help everyone light to avoid injury, and then they will gather all sparklers and put them in the bucket full of water to extinguish them. We are good to go! :) I do understand the danger of fireworks, but again...these are tiny sparklers. I don't anticipate any issues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Well that's good, least you're getting what you originally wanted!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards