May 2015 Weddings

Anybody getting a planner or DOC?

JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2014 in May 2015 Weddings
I'm thinking about it.  I will be starting as an associate in a Biglaw NYC firm in October, so I'm pretty sure I will have time only to brush my teeth and occasionally eat dinner outside the office.  Wedding planning will be crammed in between work and sleep.  I'm not quite sure we have the budget for a full planner though-- not sure if it makes sense to do an "a la carte" planner where I just pay for time, and/or a DOC, or if I really can do all this myself.  ETA: if Fi and I can do this ourselves.  He wants to help but he also works full-time and doesn't really know everything that goes into making a wedding happen.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Anybody getting a planner or DOC?

• I plan on having an a la carte planner and she will be there on the day of. I say if you have room in your budget to get a planner or doc to do so. If not ask a friend to be your point person on the day of. I think that the bride and groom should not be bother with vendors or anyone else on the day of. They should just enjoy their day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a wedding planner.  We did a 'partial package' so she will be doing some of our design, vendor recommendations, and lots of the planning leading up to the wedding.  Our biggest concern was the wedding weekend as well since all of our guests will be from out of town.  We wanted to know that she would have everything under control and could handle the vendors.  Meanwhile, we could enjoy the weekend with our family and friends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are definitely not going to get a full wedding planner, but maybe a DOC would be good. FI's cousin used to work in event planning or something, and she coordinates all major events in the family, including his younger cousins wedding. So she told me that if we needed any sort of help not to hesitate to ask her since she has coordinated big weddings before. I know that she would not want us to pay her, so I'll ask FI what he thinks. She loves coordinating events, vacations, etc for the family so maybe for some things we can see if she can help. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    We are definitely not going to get a full wedding planner, but maybe a DOC would be good. FI's cousin used to work in event planning or something, and she coordinates all major events in the family, including his younger cousins wedding. So she told me that if we needed any sort of help not to hesitate to ask her since she has coordinated big weddings before. I know that she would not want us to pay her, so I'll ask FI what he thinks. She loves coordinating events, vacations, etc for the family so maybe for some things we can see if she can help. 
    Fi has a cousin who's the same way: fantastic at planning, decorating, the works.  Within weeks of our engagement she came over for dinner with a notepad full of ideas!  She has also told us don't hesitate to ask if we need help.  She's really a sweetheart (and getting married a few months after us-- happy squee!)

But I want her to relax and enjoy herself on the day of, especially because she'll be planning her own wedding by then.  So I may ask her for opinions along the way, but I think I wouldn't want her coordinating on the day itself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• We are not going to get a wedding planner because we are having a small wedding and I don't think that there would be much room in our budget for one anyway. If we were going to have a bigger wedding I would try and find a DOC though.
  • pinkcow13 said:
    We are definitely not going to get a full wedding planner, but maybe a DOC would be good. FI's cousin used to work in event planning or something, and she coordinates all major events in the family, including his younger cousins wedding. So she told me that if we needed any sort of help not to hesitate to ask her since she has coordinated big weddings before. I know that she would not want us to pay her, so I'll ask FI what he thinks. She loves coordinating events, vacations, etc for the family so maybe for some things we can see if she can help. 
    Fi has a cousin who's the same way: fantastic at planning, decorating, the works.  Within weeks of our engagement she came over for dinner with a notepad full of ideas!  She has also told us don't hesitate to ask if we need help.  She's really a sweetheart (and getting married a few months after us-- happy squee!)

But I want her to relax and enjoy herself on the day of, especially because she'll be planning her own wedding by then.  So I may ask her for opinions along the way, but I think I wouldn't want her coordinating on the day itself.
    That's the thing, I would also want her to relax and enjoy herself the day of, after all she is our guest! But, I know that she loves helping out the fam - especially her younger cousins. I think I will ask her for ideas along and maybe for the rehearsal, but the day of I would much rather just have her enjoy herself and be a regular guest. I will have to speak to FI to make sure that she doesn't feel insulted or anything like that if she sees we hired a professional (after all, she used to be a professional! I forget what she does now). I'm up in the air about the DOC, I feel that we may be able to handle everything ourselves, but I don't wan't to end up stressed on our wedding day!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• No planner, but a DOC is included in our venue package. I'm more of a DIY bride anyways.  I plan to do a lot of things on my own.  Yay Pinterest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay Pinterest!! LOL
  • I'm not planning on one officially, but one of the gals who don't yet realize she's a BM works as the Event Coordinator at one of the venues we're considering so she's helping a lot with a lot of those details that planner would handle. EXTREMELY grateful for a great friend like that. (as well as the potential venue discount if we go with them)
  • We are doing a beach wedding, so we found an event planner to work with that covers everything and we just make payments to them. It makes it so much easier to tell her what I want and she figures it out, especially since we aren't there to plan. It has taken a lot of stress of off me!
  • We have a full wedding planner, as we are doing a destination wedding and we have a venue where we have to bring EVERYTHING in ourselves (tables, silverware, kitchen, etc.). I was on the fence about whether we needed a full time wedding planner, but her full planning service was only $2k more than her month-of coordination services. Given that we'll be working with her for 12+ months, I'd say we're getting our money's worth. 

I'm pretty Type A and enjoy planning things, so I probably could have done it myself, but it is really nice to have a second opinion or to delegate the things I don't want to do. 
  • No full wedding planner for us, but the reception venue has someone for the day of the wedding who organizes everything, tells us where to be and when, etc. Basically acts as a wedding planner I guess. I think any kind of help for the actual day is always a good idea--that way you have nothing to worry or think about, except being happy and excited. They coordinate the entire reception, tell you where to be and the order of things so you can feel like a guest. The last thing I want to do on the day of my reception is organize!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards