Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rehearsal Ceremony & Dinner Invitation Help

What is the best way to do invitations for the rehearsal ceremony and dinner? We are inviting family that does not be at the church for the rehearsal ceremony do we have 2 seperate invitations or everyone gets a rehearsal dinner invite then those who need to be at the ceremony rehearsal get an extra note in there reminding them?

Re: Rehearsal Ceremony & Dinner Invitation Help

• Options
    We just called people.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Just called those people who needed to be at the ceremony rehearsal?
  • Options
    We didn't do invites.  But then again, we didn't have anyone attend the dinner that didn't attend the rehearsal.

Honestly, it really depends on how formal you want your RD to be.  Invites, to me, say that the dinner is a bit more formal then if you called or emailed people about it.

• Options

parents, grandparents,wedding party,readers and ushers will at the ceremony rehearsal but we are invitng the rest of our family which is large enough with both our sides.

The rehearsal dinner will be in DC near the white house, the dinner is not casual but not super fancy. I have seen online invitations too instead of sending out a physical invitation.

• Options
    We're not going invites. The people invited to the rehearsal dinner knew they would be since they're part of the ceremony. I ended up having to get meal selections and I just texted everyone and asked what they wanted.

Invites to me seem like the Mother of the Groom really wants to make the RD a fancy affair since it's the event she gets to plan (not always of course).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yes, we just called people who were involved in the wedding and those we were additionally inviting to the rehearsal and dinner. Not everything needs a formal invitation.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We didn't send out invites either. We either called, spoke in person or emailed everyone the schedule.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We sent out invitations but I'm pretty sure everyone knew where and when already. It was just soemthing fun to make and H wanted them.
  • Options

parents, grandparents,wedding party,readers and ushers will at the ceremony rehearsal but we are invitng the rest of our family which is large enough with both our sides.

The rehearsal dinner will be in DC near the white house, the dinner is not casual but not super fancy. I have seen online invitations too instead of sending out a physical invitation.

I would say since it seems like you are inviting quite a few people I would send invites.  But keep them really simple.  The only info you really need is a headcount and it seems like invites would be the easiest way to get that count.

• Options
    My FMIL is hosting ours and really wanted invites (fine with me since she's paying and we picked them out together). FI rolled his eyes and said "can't we just tell people?"

It can be helpful though with communicating directions. That's the main purpose for ours since the RD is at FMIL's home and google always sends people the wrong way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I would send invitations for just the dinner and just call people about the ceremony rehearsal.  It would be strange to have it the other way around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2014

We are doing invitations as well... but picked out casual ones. We wanted to do invitations as a way to discreetly not invite people's children. If we have an envelope, we can just write "John and Sarah Smith" on it... and viola! Little Smiths not invited. Our worry with email and phone calls is that it wouldn't be clear unless we committed all kinds of rudeness and threw in a, "Yeah, so, by the way, adults only that night - thanks!"

Having the same struggle as you though! All the templates seem to be just for the dinner itself... hopefully we can squeeze in enough text to explain: Rehearsal at Venue at Xpm, followed by Dinner at Restaurant at Ypm."

• Options
    We sent out evites. I made the invitation in powerpoint, saved it as a pdf, attached it to an email and sent it out. Volia! Everyone had the information needed and coudl find it again easily.
  • Options
    We included an insert in our wedding invitation since we decided to invite all OOT family as well as the wedding party. It gave a date and time and I gave my phone number for the RSVP so people could call or text.
  • Options
    melbensomelbenso member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2014
    We also invited family members who were not at the rehearsal to our RD.  We just sent out an email* to the invited family and friends with the information and asked them to respond to it to let us know if they were coming and if they had any dietary restrictions. 

*We did know that all of our family/friends being invited regularly checked their email, so there were no worries about non-tech savvy people not getting the message. 

ETA - We made it clear in the email that any SOs or children of the guest who were invited to the wedding were also invited to the RD.
  • Options
    we sent out invitations that we ordered through WalMart's photo center. They were super cheap; like $10 and we didn't need many so it wasn't a huge cost for us.  We thought about calling everyone and just letting them know but FI really wanted to send invitations out so we did.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards