Wedding Etiquette Forum

Something old, something new....?

How many people actually do the whole something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue thing? And what's the purpose of it??

Re: Something old, something new....?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Its just a superstitious good luck thing. I did it.

ETA: Old bra and undies
              New dress, jewelry, headband, shoes
                Borrowed earrings
                    Blue toenails

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • How many people actually do the whole something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue thing? And what's the purpose of it??
    I wasn't planning on doing it until my sisters freaked out and started throwing stuff at me to make sure I met the requirements. So I ended up with a new dress, old earrings, a borrowed clutch, and blue toenails. 

It's just a fun old tradition (I think English folklore). It's supposed to bring a bride luck on her wedding day. 

If you want to do it, go for it. If you don't care, don't worry about it. 
  • l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do for the somethng old.  New dress, bue garter, borrowed earrings, then.......
  • I did it. My something new was the pearl earrings FMIL bought me, something old was my christening dress that my mom had made into a clutch for me and our wedding date embroidered in, something borrowed was my sister veil and I wore blue underwear lol
  • It's just an old tradition, nothing to do with etiquette.  I'm not sure yet if I will do it.  I have blue "I Do" stickers for the bottoms of my shoes, a new dress, and I have no idea whether I'll have something borrowed or something old.  I plan to wear a strapless bra I already own-- does that count as old? ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I did out of tradition.
     New - dress 
    Old - grandmother's wedding band 
     Borrowed -bracelet from our jeweler (well, then after the wedding DH told me he bought it from the jeweler).  
     Blue - underwear

ETA - Paragraphs returned.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Eh, I'm doing it, but I didn't have to go out of my way for anything. New dress (something I was obviously already getting), old pearls (I've had since I was born--my godmother added a pearl for each birthday/major life event), borrowed handkerchief (Momma Slothie letting me borrow the one her MIL/my Noni gave her to walk down the aisle with), blue underwear.
    Anniversary

• I did. 
    Old: Necklace given to paternal grandmother by my grandfather and maternal grandmother's engagement ring. (I would have worn both of these anyway, so I had something of each grandmother with me, since they both passed away before I even met DH)
    New: New diamond earrings (also would have worn anyway)
    Borrowed: diamond tennis bracelet from my mom (would have worn something on that wrist, because its usually where I wear my watch and having it empty feels weird, and it probably would have been that bracelet, since it had white and yellow gold and thus tied together the white gold and yellow gold I was wearing from both grandmothers' jewelry)
    Blue: Light blue satin kitten heel pumps.  Because, why not?  Plus they were comfortable, super cute and I like a pop of color in my outfits.

I'm not a superstitious person, by any means, but once I realized I was wearing most of it already, I figured, what the heck.
  • I did it.

Old - dress/headpiece

New - shoes

Borrowed - my mom loaned me a pearl necklace/bracelet

Blue - handkerchief that was my great grandmothers.

Six pence in my shoe, given to me by a friend at my shower

• I did it just out of tradition. I had fun with it.

Old- Lace from my mom's wedding gown wrapped around my bouquet
    New- DH gave me new pearl earrings on the day-of
    Borrowed- mom's pearl necklace
    Blue- shoes!
    imageimage">
  • I'm doing it to make my mom happy, but that's it. 

Old - A little hairpiece/comb given to me by my mother given by her mother.
    New - A necklace that Fi's elder sister gave to me. It was my introduction to his family.
    I don't have my something borrowed or blue yet, and I'm not sure if I'll do the six pence thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2014
    I'm doing it because it's fun.

Old: Not really sure. Perhaps something of my grandma's? Great-great-grandmother's ring? That has blue enamel in it, too ...
    New: Dress
    Borrowed: Probably a ring from FGMIL
    Blue: Underwear, maybe the ribbon in my garter, the old ring? 

ETA: And my sixpence comes from my grandpa's coin collection, which he got from his aunt.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Old: Nothing. I was going to wear a family heirloom ring but it wouldn't fit on my right hand. Each finger was either too big or too small. New: The dress Borrowed: A bracelet that a friend brought to the wedding and handed to me when I was getting ready (it may have counted as old too, I'm not sure) Blue: My dress had blue on it, my toenails were blue, and the bracelet had a blue stone. And I swear I typed paragraphs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I plan on doing it, just because I think it's a fun tradition. 

Old: A brooch of my grandma's that's about 75 years old, pinned to my bouquet
    Borrowed: TBD
    Blue: TBD
  • I did it too, for fun.  

New - dress, shoes
    Old - A necklace DH gave me on our first month of dating/V Day.  It technically wasn't old in terms of age, but it wasn't new and I'd worn it before, so I figured it worked.  
    Blue - There's a small sapphire on the side of my E-Ring
    Borrowed - This was the hardest for me.  I really wanted some earrings from my Mom or similar, but nothing worked.  We actually found a pair of new earrings that were perfect and she bought them.  She worn them a few times out with my Dad and lent them to me for the wedding.  She still has them, though I'm sure she'll give them to me one day in the future. 

• I'll probably do it for tradition's sake.  Most of what I'm already planning on wearing fits in anyway.

Old - engagement ring (originally belonged to FH's great grandmother)
    New - dress, undies, shoes
    Borrowed - necklace & earrings
    Blue - uhhh... I guess I'll paint my toenails?  Haha.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm not doing it. I did it for my first wedding and it obviously didn't bring me any good luck ;-)
  • I did it!

Old: 110ish year old handkerchief that was hand embroidered by the MIL of a woman who was like my grandmother.  She then gifted the handkerchief to me...

New: Pearl hair comb

Borrowed: Diamond necklace from my Mom

Blue: Sapphire and diamond earrings from MIL
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I'm doing it even though I'm not superstitious.

Old - The diamond in my ring. It was FI's great-grandmother's

New - my dress and accessories

Borrowed - Swazzle's veil she loaned me

Blue - the sapphires in my engagement ring and my garter
    Anniversary

• Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    I did it as well, as it sort of worked out with what I was wearing:

Old: My Great Grandmothers (also blue) garter that was over 100 years old!
    New: Dress/veil
    Borrowed: My mother's pearls
    Blue: My shoes

Anniversary
  • I'm doing it because my mom thinks it's fun.

Old: Great-grandmother's engagement ring and maybe my grandma's necklace
    New: Dress, shoes, comb
    Borrowed: Earrings
    Blue: I'm painting my toenails

• ahyatt87ahyatt87 member
    edited July 2014
    I wasn't really interested in doing the something old, new, borrowed and blue thing, but my mom freaked out when I told her I wasn't. To make mom happy I told her my dress and shoes were new and that my jewellery was old. She wanted me wear one of her rings, so I chose her blue shapphire which made her happy as it covered borrowed and blue. ETA stupid paragraphs, or lack thereof
  • I did it just because it's traditions.
    Old: my great grandmothers ruby ring
    New: my dress
    Borrowed: my mothers veil
    Blue: the blue sapphire in my grandmothers bracelet.  

:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Old - I'm attaching one of my grandmother's brooches to my bouquet
    New - Dress/shoes
    Borrowed - Earrings I think, still deciding on which ones
    Blue - The bridal salon sewed my initials/wedding date into the dress in blue. I wanted blue shoes, but that didn't happen.
    Anniversary
  • I'm doing it. I love the sentiment behind the tradition... something old represents your family, your past, and tradition. Something new is a symbol of the new life ahead of you. Something borrowed is typically from another bride to represent borrowing her happiness, and something blue stands for purity and love. The last part a lot of people leave off is "a silver sixpence in your shoe" which is a symbol of future prosperity and wealth. 

I haven't figured old and new out yet, but I have a sixpence bought off eBay, borrowed hairpiece from my BFF's wedding, and my earrings are FI's birthstone which happens to be blue. I might wear an old bracelet of my grandma's if I can find one suitable (dirtbag uncle pawned most of her jewelry), but I also kind of want my new initials on a monogram bracelet. We shall see. I feel like my dress doesn't count as "new" because I bought it months ago and will have worn it several times in alterations before the wedding day. I'm a stickler. :-p

• I did it for fun, but like others, everything I wore I would've worn regardless of the tradition.

O
    ld: Great-Grandmother's pearl necklace, that my mom also wore to her wedding.
    Borrowed:  Mom's pearl earrings
    Blue:  I attached blue mushroom birds to my shoes.

A sixpence probab
    ly would've slipped out of my sandals, so I didn't bother.
  • tegannietegannie member
    First Comment
    edited July 2014

I'm doing it for fun as well, I like little traditions like that:

Old: My mom gave me a pearl and lace doll-sized bouquet that I'm tying to one of my sleeves.  It belonged to my aunt (who passed away a few years ago) who gave it to her sister (my mom) as her "something old".

New: Lot's of things: dress and corset, shoes, necklace, veil and circlet, etc

Borrowed: Pearl earrings from my mom and possibly a pearl necklace, depending on whether that one or the new one looks better.

Blue: A friend of mine is making me a circlet and is adding blue and purple stones.

lolo883 said:

I haven't figured old and new out yet, but I have a sixpence bought off eBay, borrowed hairpiece from my BFF's wedding, and my earrings are FI's birthstone which happens to be blue. I might wear an old bracelet of my grandma's if I can find one suitable (dirtbag uncle pawned most of her jewelry), but I also kind of want my new initials on a monogram bracelet. We shall see. I feel like my dress doesn't count as "new" because I bought it months ago and will have worn it several times in alterations before the wedding day. I'm a stickler. :-p
    I'm tempted to do this myself :D
  • NymeruNymeru member
    Although I hadn't planned it that way, I did end up doing it.  It was a nice little tradition to follow.

New: wedding dress, underthings, horseshoe charm for the bouquet

Old: my pearl necklace and earrings that I got as a gift after graduating college

Borrowed: my mom's pearl necklace (so I could have a double-strand that fit my neckline) that I bought her when I was 15 with my first tips/pay checks from my first job

Blue: a blue handkerchief  my mom gave me in order to help me not make a mess of my make-up during the ceremony (and boy did I need it).  My MoH gave me a plaid (Blackwatch) garter to wear, but it was so dark blue that it could be seen as a weird shadow through my dress, so I decided to forgo it.  (I hadn't really wanted to do the whole garter thing anyway)
  • We realized we were close so we found a "something old" and went with it. 

Blue: the dress
    New: dress, shoes, necklace etc
    Borrowed: husband's tie. I figure it still counts. We're a team. 
    Old: Great grandmother's handkerchief with blue embroidery from the linen closet. It went really well in my embroidered colonial pocket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards