Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Groom's cake!

Alikat9614Alikat9614 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
Coming from Ohio, groom's cakes aren't very popular. Now that I live I Virginia, they are much more prevalent and FI definitely wanted one. Who is else is having/ had had a groom's cake? What will it look like? FI loves movies and Batman, so I'm having our baker make a Dark Knight cake! He is an example she is going off of. ETA: picture

Re: Groom's cake!

• chibiyuichibiyui member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    We had a portal cake

Anniversary
  • Skipped it.  Just spent more on cupcakes because everyone loves cupcakes and I think groom's cakes tend to go really uneaten.  People can only eat so much cake after slice of wedding cake.  And as an aside, they're usually some theme that involves a lot of food coloring.  I try not to eat artificial coloring when it's up to me.  The amount of coloring it takes to get icing dark colors is insane.  Last time I had to make a dark color cake, it stained my fingers.  Last time I ate a dark green color cake, I went to the bathroom green.  That can't be healthy.

See this cake?  Yeah, it makes you go green.
  • I'm in Texas and a groom's cake is also a tradition in our circle. FI is not a huge fan of cake (yes, I know, it makes NO sense) so he wants to have a cookie bar instead. Plus we can use the cookies as our favors.

My brother is a huge Batman fan and he would love that cake!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We didn't do a groom's cake. This is what DH said about cake: "it tastes good when I eat it and then it's gone and I forget about it". That's what he cares about, did it taste good while he was eating it? LOL
  • That's a sweet Dark Knight cake!! FI and I don't really like the taste of cake, and we are not into the "cake cutting" so we didn't plan to have one. Just some apple crisp and pies. But my friend is opening her own bakery and asked me if she could make me a cake as a gift. I wasn't going to pass that up so I decided on surprising FI with his favorite team. It'll look like this- I can't wait for him to see it since he doesn't know! And now people who bitch about pies can have some damn cake lol

• @jenna8984 - go Bruins! :)

We're having something similar to this as our groom's cake. Only, it will have the Boston logo and I went and took pictures of FI's engine so the bakery can make it as accurate as possible.

I also found a cake topper "groom" dressed in bunker gear that is climbing a ladder so that will be leaning against a tier of the wedding cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @casey8784 That is so sweet!!! My FI was a fireman for 8 years but he doesn't do it anymore and my FFIL was one for 30 years but doesn't do it anymore. They would be so in love with your cake! And the fact that you live in boston, we should be best friends lol

• FI doesn't like cake (so the wedding cake decisions are all on me). However, he loves meatloaf. So, we decided that instead of having groomscake, it's going to be groomsloaf. Just need to find a caterer to make meatloaf in the shape of a cake (with mashed potato "frosting")

FI: Meatloaf! It's going to be awesome!!

Me: I don't know if I would go that far...

FI: How many weddings do you know serve meatloaf?? The guys are going to love it. It's going to be EPIC!

• db1984db1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    I can't find a photo right now, but my kids made a meatloaf birthday cake for me a few years ago.  It was just a regular meatloaf recipe, shaped into two round "layers" and baked on a sheet pan.  The filling was mashed potatoes and whole kernel corn; the layers were stacked and the entire thing was "iced" with more mashed potatoes.  They lightly tinted some of the potatoes with blue food coloring
    (the Wilton paste-type so as not to add any liquid) and piped roses with it.  It looked like a real cake and was absolutely delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards