Chit Chat

When should I book my hair and makeup trial?

I have no idea when I'm supposed to do this. I know I need to track down a veil & my hairpiece before I do my hair trial, but how far in advance am I supposed to go?

Re: When should I book my hair and makeup trial?

• Hmmm, good question. I suppose it would depend on your stylist(s) availability/schedule along with when you've purchased all your "stuff"?

I had my trial in March for a July wedding, which seemed a bit far out but it was the only time I was going to be in MT so there was no flexibility with it.

I'm curious to see if there is a norm...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I scheduled mine for the end of August for an October 11 wedding. I didn't want to do it so far in advance that we both forget our decisions (or my hair changes length). I also didn't want to schedule it so late in the game that I had no time to find a different person if I didn't like her work. We'll see how it goes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had mine in February for my September wedding, because I had to put a deposit down to book my date and didn't want to do that without having a trial first to be sure I liked her work. And I didn't want to risk her getting booked and having to look for another one; made all my vendor selections with the quickness so I didn't have to worry about it later.

• I have my hair and make up trials on Tuesday next week for my August 23 wedding.  

I didn't even book them until the very end of May/early June, and I didn't think about the trials until mid-July.  Then I was trying to get a time when the were both available back-to-back since I have to drive an hour to get to them.  If nothing else, what they do should be fresh in their minds since it is only a few weeks early.
  • I had mine in February for my September wedding, because I had to put a deposit down to book my date and didn't want to do that without having a trial first to be sure I liked her work. And I didn't want to risk her getting booked and having to look for another one; made all my vendor selections with the quickness so I didn't have to worry about it later.

This.  I had mine done about 6 months before the wedding.  And good thing, because I HATED my first trial and went out and found someone else.  If I waited until a month or two before, it would've been really hard to find someone good.
  • I haven't booked mine and my wedding is in 6 weeks.

Holy cats my wedding is in 6 weeks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • My wedding is 10/4 and I'm having mine this Saturday. Reason being that my shower is also that day so I will look extra nice for it :)
  • I had my hair trial in April for my June wedding. But I used my regular hairdresser so I wasn't concerned about not liking it.

I had my makeup trial in January.

• My hair trial was May 29 (same day as my bridal pictures) and my wedding was July 19.

I knew I would love my hair and makeup artist though, so I knew I didn't want to change. And, I was absolutely thrilled at her talent on the trial and wedding day.

image   image   image

• I just had mine today for my wedding that is two weeks and one day away! imageimageimage

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • ElcaB said:
    I have no idea when I'm supposed to do this. I know I need to track down a veil & my hairpiece before I do my hair trial, but how far in advance am I supposed to go?
    Have you found somewhere that sells the accessories you want immediately?  My boutique says theirs are all special order.  Will probably end up buying a veil from them, because I'll want to try it on with the dress, but not much other things.  Just something to think about.

I'm a little bummed that I can't do mine until two weeks before the wedding.  I guess that's what happens when you move to a foreign country and want to get married at home.  I'm using a woman that a good friend of mine (and a couple of girls from high school who I no longer speak with) have used, and I've liked their results.  Hopefully it turns out well, because at that point I have almost zero chance of finding someone else.
  • Lol. Didn't do either! I went to Sephora a few weeks ago and had them color match me for foundation and just did my make up myself. My mom's hairdresser did my hair and I never did a trial. Luckily I loved it and it looked great. I also have very normal hair. It is thick and straight and really easy to work with, so I think I can take chances more than some people can.
  • I had my trial 2 months before my wedding. I was really glad I had the trial because it allowed the stylist to get to know hair, and I also realized that I wanted to tweak my hair slightly. IDK but it made me feel more comfortable on the wedding day. That being said I did not do a makeup trial. I never wear makeup so I didn't really care what it looked like so long as I felt pretty. It worked out well for me.
  • @debmonn I love the hairpiece! You look lovely. 

@missdelilah I plan on ordering my hairpiece (and maybe my veil) from Etsy, so I'm not worried. The ones I've saved have a quick turnaround. 

Thanks, ladies! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards