Registry and Gift Forum

Theft at Reception??

I've heard from a couple people that thefts have occurred at wedding receptions...like someone taking cards and gifts from the gift table. This sounds horrible. Isolated incident? Or it more common than we would like to think?

Re: Theft at Reception??

• One of the venues spoke to us about how a wedding was robbed once - guns and everything.
    I have no idea why he would tell a possible customer that, but I can tell you - I definitely didn't want to book there after that. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I first came here, I thought it was isolated, but I was told it is fairly common.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • One friend of mine told me that her mother's cards were stolen from the hotel safe at her wedding nearly 40 years ago.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I'm not certain common is necessarily the word.  You maybe hear about it more and it gives the perception of it being common.  But yeah, for sure, it does happen.  I mean, think about it if you were a burglar - dress up reasonably nice and mingle a little in a place that likely has no security in the immediate vicinity, let alone armed security, and has a table full of cash and expensive presents conveniently laid out for you, not to mention dozens of potentially unattended purses.  If I were a burglar, hitting up a wedding reception is way easier than hitting up a convenience store or a bank.

It's in part why I a) don't bring cash with me to weddings (please don't have a cash bar), and b) was always taught that the polite thing to do anyway was to mail gifts (even checks) before the wedding, not bring them TO the wedding (not just for the potential theft factor, but someone has to keep track of that stuff and transport it at the end of the night). 
  • I had concerns about this, especially considering some of the family invited. I didn't say anything about it but later found out that during the reception the venue moves all gifts and envelopes into a locked room. Sounds weird, but at least they are not out in the open
  • I think it is less common now bc many venues have a process to avoid theft. My venue had my DOC count the cards, I counted them, we agreed on the number and it was written on one of the envelopes and they were all placed in the venue safe unopened. At the end of the night he brought them out and we counted them again.

It is a sad but true reality that theft occurs and a wedding is a very convenient opportunity. Just like people watch the obits and rob houses when the funeral is going on. So sad.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I had the task once to personally collect the cards, number them, then turn them into the planner, to keep them secure. The flaw in the plan became apparent quickly when a small pile formed at the guestbook after I stopped stalking the entrance to the reception. The extended family remembered about a previous card theft, because her sister had some stolen her wedding as well. No one had told them (the extended family) prior to the wedding, that I was collecting them, so no one trusted the friend asking for cards. 

Sadly a few got stolen by an employee of the venue (family reported the gift cards stolen, and then got caught when they were using one of the giftcards with their credit card). 

So, if you do ask someone to collect cards/gifts for preventing theft, use a family member, or have the individual introduced (to choice gossipy family/friends, to guests at shower, in program, photo/name on website) something official, especially if it's an unfamiliar face to establish trust and reduce confusion. 
  • I'd love to see someone try it at mine. FI is a 6'7, 300 lb officer and all his friends are police, military, prosecutors.
  • A friend of a friend had this happen at their wedding. One of the venue's staff members stole cash from some cards. The entire thing was caught on their surveilance cameras though and the guy was arrested. 
  • Anytime there is large amounts of cash, it is a risk. People are distracted at weddings, gifts are usually near the door, and it's an easy target (for venue staff, outsiders, or even guests). So, it is definitely advisable to have a locked card box that allows cards to go in, but difficult to retrieve out, and have someone assigned to move them to secure location. Although, at my wedding, some people were concerned about the possibility, so held onto their cards until later in the evening so they wouldn't be sitting there all night, or brought them to us directly.  So, if you move the cards/gifts early in the reception, you may also want to keep an eye out for items that get put there later in the evening also.

• nicoann said:
    Anytime there is large amounts of cash, it is a risk. People are distracted at weddings, gifts are usually near the door, and it's an easy target (for venue staff, outsiders, or even guests). So, it is definitely advisable to have a locked card box that allows cards to go in, but difficult to retrieve out, and have someone assigned to move them to secure location. Although, at my wedding, some people were concerned about the possibility, so held onto their cards until later in the evening so they wouldn't be sitting there all night, or brought them to us directly.  So, if you move the cards/gifts early in the reception, you may also want to keep an eye out for items that get put there later in the evening also.
    This is a good idea. And make sure you or someone you trust are the only one with the key.

• I just got married on August 2nd (wooo!) and while we were setting up the hall, my mom made me move where I had my gift table because it was "too close to an exit and people could make off with stuff"... I hadn't even realized that was an option!!! I used a large, sealed, wrapped box to put the cards in so that way if someone tried to take it, they would definitely be noticed... But still! The possibility that someone could try to take gifts or cards off of the table threw me for a loop..
  • I'm glad I read this. Just met with venue and they are putting gifts in the coat check so they won't be on display. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I heard of a wedding with a cash bar. Drunken frat boy type friends of the groom were raiding the cards on the table for cash, and spending it at the bar.
  • allisonelizallisoneliz member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014
    @Lauramae980 - Date twins! :-)

@danamw - Yet another reason not to have a cash bar...

I had a few guests personally hand me cards and say "keep this safe". Our wedding was at MIL's house though so I wasn't too worried about theft, although I did move the card basket upstairs to one of the bedrooms once the dance had started. 
    Anniversary

• I got married a few years ago and after the wedding reception started my aunt and cousins took all of the gifts and cards to our car. (They were able to make one trip with everything.) That way we didn't have anything to worry about. And the sad part was was that the people that I was afraid of taking stuff was family. It wasn't that big of a deal to me to have our gifts on display the whole night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards