Wedding Invitations & Paper

Please help me proof

Hey Ladies- about to DIY print my invites and looking for some last minute advice, any words of wisdom would be great!!

Mr. & Mrs. Jeffrey Doe
request the pleasure of your company
at the marriage of their daughter

Kristen Nicole

to

Richard Stephen Doe Jr.

Saturday, the twenty- first of May
two thousand and eleven
half after five o'clock in the afternoon

xxxxxxxx Parish
48 Main Street
Anyville, Massachusetts 12345

Re: Please help me proof

• Looks good!  The only suggestion I would make is to say "half PAST five" not "half AFTER five"

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • Ditto what Twix said.  Otherwise it sounds great!
  • PPs are incorrect.  The appropriate wording is half AFTER and NOT past.  Past refers to funerals.  After is the correct wording for an invitation.

The only other thing is that if you're getting married in a church (Parish) then name the church.  It should really say "Saint Theresa Church" rather than parish unless that's the actual name of the house of worship.

Also, if the wedding is indeed in a house of worship, the hosts request  "the honour of your presence" and not the pleasure of your company.

Unless there are multiple churches in that town with the same name, take out the address.
  • I would also say five o'clock in the evening, not afternoon
    Anniversary
  • Five is still afternoon - you don't use evening until 6. 
  • I might be incorrect, but wouldn't it be Mrs. and Mr. Jeffrey Doe?
    Anniversary
  • The OP has the host line correct as "Mr. and Mrs."

The only time the Mr. doesn't come first is when you're using first names. You'd say "Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Smith" with titles, but "Laura and Jeffrey Smith" with first names. At least, this is per Amy Vanderbilt...someone else might have another book to the contrary.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_please-proof?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:716eab09-71b9-47c9-8138-8e75a1307a75Post:c2c74752-79ca-4b38-9064-44f94f70353d">Re: Please help me proof</a>:
    [QUOTE]The OP has the host line correct as "Mr. and Mrs." The only time the Mr. doesn't come first is when you're using first names. You'd say "Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Smith" with titles, but "Laura and Jeffrey Smith" with first names. At least, this is per Amy Vanderbilt...someone else might have another book to the contrary.
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the clarity. :-)</div>
    Anniversary
  • You need a comma before Jr. as well.
    imageimageimage
  • Ditto K&D.  And PP is also correct hat 5 o'clock is in the afternoon and not the evening.

It's also not necessary to put that on there.  The phrases "In the afternoon" or "in the morning" or "in the evening" are really only necessary when it would be possible for a guest to think that the event could occur at either time on the clock.  Since you would not begin an event at 5 o'clock in the morning, you actually don't need 'in the afternoon' either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards