Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Any changes? Am I missing anything?

Hey all, can you let me know what you think of the menu so far? I am split between the oven roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, I think I am leaning mashed. Which would you prefer? This is a buffet for the entrees and its a late fall wedding. Dessert will be cake, fruit, and coffee and tea

Passed apps:

Thai style chicken satay w/ peanut sauce
Sun dried tomato goat cheese and basil crostini
Tequila shrimp w/ cocktail remoulade dipping sauce
Caprese skewers w/ aged balsamic drizzle

Stationary apps:
Ensemble of Fresh Crudite w/ assorted house dips
Domestic and Imported Cheese Display with Fresh Fruit, Dried Fruit, Sopressata,
Prosciutto, Hard Salami, Assorted Crackers and Bread

Dinner:

Garden salad, rolls

Grilled sirloin tips w/ mushroom trio sauté and caramelized onions (The sauce and onion is on the side so it will be served on the steak or without it)

Eggplant and roasted tomato stacks w/ pesto sauce

Chicken picatta w/lemon caper wine sauce

Roasted red skinned potatoes w/ olive oil and rosemary OR mashed potatoes

Oven Roasted Vegetables

Re: Any changes? Am I missing anything?

• My FI fought me on our garlic mashed potatoes. He wanted roasted, I wanted mashed. I won.

In all honesty though, it helped for us to taste both. Do you have an opportunity to taste both kinds?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My FI fought me on our garlic mashed potatoes. He wanted roasted, I wanted mashed. I won.

In all honesty though, it helped for us to taste both. Do you have an opportunity to taste both kinds?
    Ive tasted the roasted which were great, but then we added on the roasted veggies and that's why I am leaning towards mashed since we will already have the roasted texture with the veggies. I won't have time to taste the mashed before the wedding but I am pretty confident in our caterer.

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    As long as you have reasonable certainty that the mashed potatoes won't end up cold and gluey on the buffet line and they aren't making them from instant, I say mashed, since two of your three entrees have a sauce component.  The mashed will act as a nice vehicle for those components.
  • I personally would prefer the roasted but there is nothing wrong with the mashed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oooh, just a thought...Your two vegetarian passed apps have a few components in common (tomatoes, basil, cheese), and then there are also tomatoes in your vegetarian entree.  Perhaps one of the apps could be swapped out for something else?  Since you're having crudites that may likely include tomatoes and an assortment of cheese, I'd probably swap out the caprese skewer.
  • The menu sounds yummy!  I prefer roasted potatoes over mashed potatoes for a buffet.
  • Everything sound delicious! Yum!!

Personally, I'd go with roasted potatoes. Reason being... because mashed potatoes served at a high-volume function, like a wedding, are often grainy and not very well done. They usually remind me of hospital food when produced at high-volumes. Unless you have a REALLY good caterer, I think roasted red-skins will seem more high-quality.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'd only have peanut sauce if you've established that no one attending has a peanut allergy or close contact with someone who does.

Other than that, yum!
  • Jen4948 said:
    I'd only have peanut sauce if you've established that no one attending has a peanut allergy or close contact with someone who does.

Other than that, yum!
    We actually had a peanut sauce with someone that had a peanut allergy.  We made sure that he didn't have an airborne allergy and we made sure to tell him what the item was that would have it.  He appreciated the heads up but said it didn't matter much since he was so used to asking if peanut was in anything before he ate it anyways. 
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    I'd only have peanut sauce if you've established that no one attending has a peanut allergy or close contact with someone who does.

Other than that, yum!
    We actually had a peanut sauce with someone that had a peanut allergy.  We made sure that he didn't have an airborne allergy and we made sure to tell him what the item was that would have it.  He appreciated the heads up but said it didn't matter much since he was so used to asking if peanut was in anything before he ate it anyways. 

He might be "so used to asking" but it's still polite and IMO even necessary to give heads-ups to people known to be allergic to anything you are planning to serve that you are planning to serve them.
  • Jen4948 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Other than that, yum!

He might be "so used to asking" but it's still polite and IMO even necessary to give heads-ups to people known to be allergic to anything you are planning to serve that you are planning to serve them.
    No doubt.  My point was to your comment about only having a peanut sauce if you established the fact that no one had a peanut allergy.  We didn't not serve it because one person out of 100+ had an allergy to it.  We made him aware and he didn't eat that one app (out of 10) during the cocktail hour.  

I think it's reasonable to have an app or two during cocktail hour that someone may not be able to eat due to an allergy or dietary restriction so long as they won't be harmed by being in the same room as it and so long as the variety of food offered ensures that guest will not go hungry.  If it's a main entree, appropriate substitutes should be arranged to ensure the guest is able to eat a "safe" meal.
  • Roasted skin potatoes, because if I'm getting mashed I want gravy for them and I think gravy would ruin your wonderful protein. Depending on how they are cooked, you can get away with no gravy for roasted ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards