Getting in Shape

Running app?

I am so disappointed this morning! I had seen on Pinterest that MapMyRun isn't super accurate & I had seen the time jump myself, so I was really just hoping to know the distance (I'm ridiculously slow). So Sunday I ran two miles (the most I've done) and I was so excited. Today I did a longer loop using Nike+ and it said it was only 1.5. I'm happy regardless since the first mile is feeling 'easy' but I'm bummed. I've never really paid attention to the times. 

So what do you use? I don't mind paying for something. 

Re: Running app?

• I use mapmyrun and have been happy with it, but I also haven't noticed any glitches. I know people who use Nike+ as well and have no issues. I'm not sure what other running apps there are but I'm curious to hear other opinions!
  • I have never had an issue with mapmyrun when I used it in the past.

None of the running apps will ever be completely accurate because they use satellites to acquire a signal and generate the distance.  If the signal is interrupted at all then your distance will be all screwy.

I have also used RunKeeper a few times but I mainly liked it because it offered training plans for free that you could follow.

But now I just use my garmin to record my distance, time and pace.  I plan my run out via mapmyrun but no longer use that app to record my time and such.  And with the garmin you can connect it to your computer and log onto the website and it will download the information and provide you even more information (lap break down, elevation, calories, etc).

• I like my Nike+ but the reason it's more accurate is because I bought the little chip that goes in your shoe and "talks" to your ipod/phone. (Nowadays they use the Fitband or whatever, but I think the technology is the same).

Sometimes I just pre-map the route on Google maps or MapMyRun's website, so that I know ahead of time where/how long I'm running. If you like to wing it this won't work, but I like to have a plan before I go out--it keeps me accountable.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I use Strava for both running and cycling. I like it because the interface is clean and modern, and they have little challenges to keep you motivated. It also displays to your total mileage all-time, and over the last 28 days. It's fun to watch the miles add up, which helps keep me motivated. 
  • I like my Nike+ but the reason it's more accurate is because I bought the little chip that goes in your shoe and "talks" to your ipod/phone. (Nowadays they use the Fitband or whatever, but I think the technology is the same).

Sometimes I just pre-map the route on Google maps or MapMyRun's website, so that I know ahead of time where/how long I'm running. If you like to wing it this won't work, but I like to have a plan before I go out--it keeps me accountable.
    This is what I do too - for the same reason; I know I have to finish whatever I plotted out. I also have an Odometer+ app on my phone, which isn't the best, but it's usually pretty accurate.
  • I've used MapMyRun and I found it to be pretty accurate. I would occasionally run a marked path and although the tenths would be off, overall distance would match. How well an app works depends on your the type of phone too. I now use my Garmin but even that is not accurate. The most accurate you will get will probably be either running USATF certified race courses or mapping in Google maps as a close second. Try mapping the route you ran those two days and see how close they match. Of course, they will still be off since you're not necessarily running all the tangents. A pet peeve of mine is runners complaining the course was short/long because their Garmin said so. But that's neither here nor there. lol

Happy running! Get on DailyMile too if you haven't yet. Start befriending other runners. It's usually helpful to see others out there running too.

Before FI got a smart phone, he would always pre-plan his runs on mapmyrun's website so he would know that he was getting the right amount of miles in a run during his marathon training. He still does it now, despite having an iPhone, and just uses the app to get a rough idea of how fast he's running.
  • I ALWAYS used mapmyrun with no issues, but the last few times I ran it was over-crediting me miles. I usually run the same route and it was saying I ran a mile 6 minutes into my run.. uhh.. .I wish! I switched to Runtastic, which has been working well. It's a free app but you can upgrade for a few bucks and it offers some extra fancy stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards